Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

I'm probably wrong about the strings -- just speculating!
    Lisa

If she does strings and you have known issues just get a stripe fabric in the color she is doing strings in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
    I hope there are no strings. The blue strings was when Orca Bay became a UFO for me. I think if she does strings again, I will just cut the piece from one fabric. I know it takes away some, but it should save my sanity.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

I hope there are no strings too. It's great for people who keep strings in their stash but I always make a tremendous mess cutting them. After going thru my stash, not near enough orange but I do have the red and blue in toscana. So it's off to the LQS today, I think I will try to use toscana in all the colors out of yardage.

Got my color chips at Lowe's. Colors are primary colors and I like them so I will keep to Bonnie's colors. I looked through my stash and lo and behold...I can make this quilt from my stash only. Not that this will happen ever happen (LOL).

I still think I will probably just print out all the clues and then decide if I want to do the mystery. Although, if I only do a 1/2 size (36" x 36") that shouldn't be too overwhelming.

Can't wait to see the first clue and how everyone's blocks work up.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post

I still think I will probably just print out all the clues and then decide if I want to do the mystery. Although, if I only do a 1/2 size (36" x 36") that shouldn't be too overwhelming.
    Actually, half size would be 36" x 72"... or some wider, less long configuration. If you want 36"x36", you only need to make 1/4 of the units.

Here is the link again, in case anyone needs it:

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2018...e-mystery.html
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    My back for Good Fortune is finished except for sizing it up for the machine quilter.
    72" square isn't for me, I'm figuring 18 more of whatever units we make plus some interesting inner borders.

haven't looking in the fabric closet yet, I'm enjoying the anticipation!

You wouldn't know it to look at it, but this back is the culmination of trying to do something with Bonnie's rail fence leader ender challenge this year.

Now I'm trying to think what to use for leader enders next.
    Wow, Kalama! That is quite a backing!

How about doing Jewel Box Stars as your next L/E-?
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    It's the remark Bonnie made when mentioning using 1 fabric per color that got me wondering. I'm not allowed to quote the remark here, but it's in the introduction just before the pictures of the paint chips. Normally she says it's fine to use just 1 color and leaves it at that, but this time she followed up with some rather mysterious comments. As I recall, there was also an issue with 1 fabric per color in En Provence, because of the neutral 4-patches. I can't remember when Bonnie suggested people bring in another neutral in that mystery -- if it was in the intro or when clue #1 came out. I know she likes to avoid giving anything away for as long as possible.

Oh good call Lisa! I did go back and read her comments. Right after saying if using 1 fabric you're fine she does make a rather odd, cryptic comment. I had forgotten about the En Provence 4-patches... those doing scrappy were encouraged to use a two-tone approach to the neutral 4-patches while those using just 1 fabric basically got to skip a step. Well bother! I had planned to just use 1 fabric per but I needed 2 orange fabrics for my neutral to have enough yardage. I guess if it **is** strings I could just alternate - or just use one or the other.... hmmmmm..... maybe I'll wait until the 2nd clue is revealed and decide.

Funny that strings have come up - I was looking over a lot of Bonnie's other patterns and saw some using strings that I really like!

I have not decided on fabric yet, maybe this weekend I'll have time to spend with my stash until something "speaks" to me.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

[QUOTE=Macybaby;8157903]Funny that strings have come up - I was looking over a lot of Bonnie's other patterns and saw some using strings that I really like!

I'm also "watching" to see if strings are included. They can be a bit of a challenge for me, but I'm up to it.

I still need to dig in my stash to see how much of suitable blues and greens I have. Am on the fence about the red and oranges.....

Blog Entries
    I'm Ready!!

My Quilted Twins Good Fortune package came in the mail today. I am thrilled with the neutrals and the only one I question is one of the blues where there is high contrast in the fabric. Top blue.

What do you think?

Name:  20181108_101152_resized.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  449.1 KB

Terrific fabrics Battle Axe! IMHO the top blue has too much white in it. Perhaps set it aside as an extra if needed-? Nice variety of neutrals, and oranges too.

Those are beautiful neutrals, Battle Axe! I agree, that blue could be a problem. I guess just wait and see what kind of units use the blue.

I wonder what colors will be next to each other. I love the orange and red together. What do you think our first clue will be? I'm guessing 700 1-1/2" finished HSTs, LOL. Btw, I didn't take to the Simple Folded Corners Ruler when I first tried it in last year's mystery, but I've used it all year and am getting good results with it now.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    I'd love to have strings--they are my favorite!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Wowser!! That many HST at 1.5 finished. I sure hope not. I'll try to replace that top blue, the contrast is too much and would show up, I'm afraid.

I love to order fabrics that others have picked out. If I go to the same store, I would never find some of those interesting neutrals.

Marcia

Marcia,

Great fabrics! The neutrals are fabulous. I agree that that one top blue has too much white. I wouldn't use it. But the rest look great.
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    I'm Ready!!

My Quilted Twins Good Fortune package came in the mail today. I am thrilled with the neutrals and the only one I question is one of the blues where there is high contrast in the fabric. Top blue.

What do you think?

Name:  20181108_101152_resized.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  449.1 KB
    Those fabrics are great! I wouldn't eliminate any fabrics until she puts out some clues. Remember Allietare? Some of the blocks were large (by Bonnie standards) so your blue could work.

Even if it ends up being cut smaller - maybe it will be part of a 3.5" HST with the orange - then I think it would be fine.

I've made dozens of scrap quilts and just when I think a fabric is too light, too blue, not green enough, by the time I get towards the end of the project and need more of a certain color - and don't want to cut into yardage, my standards are lowered (or vision broadened?) and I end up deciding to include pieces I had originally crossed of the list.

Up close a fabric might not work, but as part of a quilt, it's just one or two small pieces and it's fine.

Leader/enders will be tumblers. I just love 'em to pieces
    black and white...in scrappy definition.
    Two big piles ready to go, and plenty of 2.5" strips to cut more if/when needed

I'm hoping for strings this year too. I'll use them to learn treadling, the machine has been sitting there ready for two years. Yes they are slowish to make but they add a richness that makes the quilt glow

Now I will pick my fabrics! To fun to be legal.
    Love everyone picks, well done. My inner hearts lusts for the scraps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-08-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I just thought of something else that might indicate strings -- Bonnie's new book (not sure when it comes out) is called 'String Frenzy.' Her previous string book, 'String Fling,' featured two quilts that were mysteries -- 'Roll, Roll Cotton Boll,' and 'Orca Bay.' Maybe Good Fortune is featured in the new book. Does anyone know if all of Bonnie's books feature a mystery quilt?
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Wow, I may just have to dive into this one again. Her Mysteries are so fun because you don't know what they are till the end. I am not sure what fabric I have yet, so off to the garage to see what I can see. LOL
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    I just thought of something else that might indicate strings -- Bonnie's new book (not sure when it comes out) is called 'String Frenzy.' Her previous string book, 'String Fling,' featured two quilts that were mysteries -- 'Roll, Roll Cotton Boll,' and 'Orca Bay.' Maybe Good Fortune is featured in the new book. Does anyone know if all of Bonnie's books feature a mystery quilt?
    I don't know if all her books have mysteries - maybe just the older books. I think the last few mysteries she just offered them as a pattern download.

But I think you're right -- New string book + hasn't done a mystery string in a while = String Mystery

BattleAxe those fabrics from Quilted Twins are lovely and the neutrals I want.

I love string blocks, so I won't mind at all if she has some!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    Leader/enders will be tumblers. I just love 'em to pieces
    black and white...in scrappy definition.
    Two big piles ready to go, and plenty of 2.5" strips to cut more if/when needed

Yummy blacks and whites, Kalama! Love 'em.

I decided to join in this year’s mystery. My colors are batiks. I changes out my colors from Bonnie’s My orange is her red. My brown is her orange. I’m using one color for the background. My blue is her blue and my purple is her green. Name:  A5B4A0F7-8752-401E-9A94-EBDF3DDFC03B.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  1.01 MB I had gone through my scraps and f-qs last month and I did not have enough in one color to catch my eye. Now off the wash and iron my fabric and patiently wait.

I really like like all of the color selections so far. All so pretty. Back on the sidelines.

welcome to the madhouse happylab!
    Still working on my stash fabric picks, I think my oranges will be a single goldish yardage.
    I have very little yardage and would like to use it all up.

One problem I'm having is I'll make a much larger top so have to estimate how much more I need

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast