Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Box of Strings Quilt Along! >

Box of Strings Quilt Along!

Box of Strings Quilt Along!

Old 04-02-2018, 06:42 AM

ckcowl, great idea for a Quilt of Valor.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:42 AM

Yes please! We all enjoy pics!
Old 04-02-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
Ckcowl - that's a great idea. I was thinking of doing something similar with my Kaffee Fassett fabrics; using one of his Shot cottons for the triangle (I have the Bordeaux), KF on the left side as one piece (not string pieced) and a black & white on the right side, also as one piece. I might make one up & see how it looks. This one I would PP
This is such a fabulous pattern. It lends itself to so many possibilities. Thanks again, AngelinaNR.
I can see this.... great idea.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
So do the strings end up going past the point of the triangle? So the point isn't cut off in the seam allowance?
I generally allow 1 1/2" beyond my triangle for my strips/strings.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:17 PM

Okay. Here's my KF unit:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592071[/ATTACH]

I think I see another quilt in my future - - -

I've been hanging onto my KF fabrics for just-the-right project and I think this is the one.
Attached Thumbnails kf-box-strings-unit.jpg  
Old 04-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592091[/ATTACH]I think I have solved my problem with my triangles not matching up. I am making 2 units, matching the triangles and sewing the center seam. Once the seam is sewn, I am using my large square with the center shape taped on to trim the 2 blocks into the 8-1/2 inch size. This should give me accurate blocks I hope.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 04-02-2018, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
If you have a Tri-Rec ruler, it has the correct dimensions. And if not, it's real simple to cut a template using the measurements.

The tri rec is about a 54 degree angle, so unless you have one specifically for cutting a triangle with the base the same as the height, the angle will not be the same. If you go with a 45 degree angle, you're going to get a slimmer diamond shape and loose a lot of the look. If you got 60 degrees, you'll get a square instead of the diamond, and I think the elongated diamond is what makes this so interesting looking.

I looked around at pictures of string quilts, and decided I like this pattern the best. I think it's going to work very well with the string selection I have.

And now that I know the angle, I can sew and then cut out my shapes. Lots of rather mindless sewing, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
I just saw this new post tonight. I'm joining in because I have already made 10 blocks. I too saw the post and then went to the tut. I decided to make a larger block because I had paper from one of my stock annual reports that I get in the mail. Block is 10 1/2 inch. I did use my TRI TOOL aka Tri-Recs on the package. First time to use this rule (yay I found a use for it) So I made the black triangle 5 1/2 at the bottom. I had been gifted this black from someones "scraps" that were going to be dog bed stuffing. I always sort through the bags people give me for that purpose and for various reasons - like get rid of paper or pins etc but also to put larger pieces into my scrap bins. (Ha! I really don't need more but I can't help it) But what I am doing is I only sew the first scrap on each side of the center black triangle and then fold the paper back on itself and sew the next scrap only to the first scrap so I don't have to tear away the paper. I only have to tear away from the first seam on either side. I use the paper as a guild for the next string and for how much more I need to add. It has been working quite nicely. I have lots of medium and dark strings but not so much of the light neutrals so I am going to have to put this project aside for awhile until I get more light neutrals but I do like making this. I was so glad for the tut. Thank you

Last edited by love to sew; 04-02-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
Here's my progress so far. I was in the mood to do some sewing today - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592015[/ATTACH]
Thank you for posting the close up picture. I was only using the light neutrals that I have and I don't have much but seeing that you used other lights and it still works, now I will be able to make more and use "lights" that might have a bit more color in them.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful beginnings everyone who has made numerous blocks.
Tartan- great idea- I might try your method too instead of trimming each section before sewing into blocks.
Today I Have to get a queen sized quilt top put together! But, I’m going to start my sewing session with making a couple string blocks with my red & white strings and see how it looks.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Ok, here’s my first two red, white & blue string blocks. I think I’m going to keep going . Pretty sure I fave plenty of strings in these colors.
Attached Thumbnails ac28a411-3788-4057-bf5b-c8049505e3f6.jpeg