Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Build a quilt around a central character you design

Oh, this is perfect! I designed a "Sunbonnet Sue in Texas" quilt last year. My daughter liked the idea, but is not a fan of Sue. Since her sign is cancer (crab) she sort of collects "crab things". She asked me to make her a crab quilt, only she wants her crab to travel the world. He already has a name - "Colby". So very soon I'll be starting on "Colby the crab travels the world." This will be great to post progress! Great challenge!

All of you guys are Jacob suh great ideas. I have been camping and won't go home until tonight to work on anything. But after that I leave friday night to go down to Florida for the months of August. I don't think I will be getting much done. I hope that I can do some of my hand appliqué that I have sitting around but will not get to work on this quilt or the Mario quilt along that I want to do so badly. I am hoping that the fabric that I buy will be waiting for my arrival when I get back (or maybe I will have it delivered to Florida and I can get some of it cut while down there)
    Brooke

Blog Entries
    I found some great "outer space / planet" themed fabric I'm going to use for my Doctor Who quilt. Have to wait for some funding before I can get it though. Trying to decide if I should get just enough for the main center background where the TARDIS is going to be appliqued.....or enough for the border too.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I'm so pleased with how this challenge is going. Thank you all for making this as fun and varied as I'd hoped it would be.

sharoney - fabulous idea. Colby sounds great. Maybe he and Franky will meet in Japan.

brookemarie19 - yes, real life does interfere sometimes. That's what is happening to poor Franky. But, you are stilling thinking of your quilt and following along so that is good. Enjoy your trip to Florida.

vickig626 - I've seem quite a few really neat space fabrics. That will be a lot of fun for a background. Personally, I would get enough for the border too, just in case. I'm all about options. And, I guarantee if you only get enough for the background and decide to do the border later, the fabric will have disappeared from everywhere. Not that I have any experience with that.

Blog Entries
    vickig626 - I've seem quite a few really neat space fabrics. That will be a lot of fun for a background. Personally, I would get enough for the border too, just in case. I'm all about options. And, I guarantee if you only get enough for the background and decide to do the border later, the fabric will have disappeared from everywhere. Not that I have any experience with that. [/QUOTE]

I was thinking that too. I can always use it for something else (just another addition to the "stash" LOL).
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G

Blog Entries
    Worked on Ceilas' Hair/Snakes last night while enjoying the Tele with DH. Im trying to decide what colors to frame her block with. Im thinking purples at the moment.

Name:  DSC02081.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  86.2 KB

Loving all the wonderful ideas and projects planned for this thread.
    Have an awesome day!

Jenniky - Celia is one hot girlfriend. I can't wait to see her face develop. Well done, as usual.

Jenniky ... wow! you're really coming along with it. And here I thought you were still in the paper and pencil stage. Silly me for thinking so!!!!!! What about leaving the border, until you have your blocks done and audition a bunch of options?

Moi? .... I just might have Miss Peep's meadow fabric chosen. I found a grass like fabric yesterday with a wee bit of bling. I just bought a small piece to play with for the weekend, as I thought it might be too vibrant. No flowers, on it like I had wanted, so may do some embroidery or applique to make that happen. So I'm thinking it'll work, as it'll give me the contrast to show the sheep that some of the paler greens wouldn't. Peep may end up being a little more colourful than I had envisioned. Still sleeping on it and will decide by Tuesday if it's a go ... or if I am back to sqaure one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    Works4Me - Here's Celia all done.
    QuiltE - It's amazing, I had decided this morning to hold off on the borders until I have all the blocks complete. I might even take Mikey's Psychedelically Wild Border fabric off once I get to that decision point.

So now its time to pull out my sketch pad and figure out who is my next friend to make for Mikey. Was thinking J.P. Sullivan but I was thinking of trying to applique him using Minikee probably spelled that wrong. I have never worked with the material But would be fun for Sully's Blue Fur.

Name:  MonsterINC 002.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  132.3 KB Name:  MonsterINC 001.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  115.5 KB
    Last edited by Jenniky; 08-06-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    Have an awesome day!

OMG ... incredible!
    Jenniky ... now if I only knew who these characters are! It'd mean a lot more then, right? The snake/hair with the eyes are really something! About the Minkee ... I know there was someone not too long ago that did a childs quilt iwth an applique using minkee. Perhaps a giraffe? I haven't worked with it, but every time I see it, I just WANT it on one of my own quilts!

Blog Entries
    Thanks QuiltE , I believe the giraffe was shared by someone during the First Mystery Train Ride. That is where I got the idea for using Minkee. If you Google "Monster Inc" movie by Disney you can maybe get some background on my characters.
    Have an awesome day!

Jenniky - fabulous, amazing, wonderful. The faces were well worth waiting for, especially the snakes.

I can't wait to see the rest of your quilt develop.

Blog Entries
    Wow Jenniky, you did great!
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Thanks Jenniky ... I'll check it out sometime!
    I am so not "in" when it comes to these things!!

The first two fabrics for Missy Bo have been acquired.
    Background sky and green grass with a wee bit of bling.
    The pink print represents Bo, but I don't think it'll be the fabric.
    Just what I could find to do this.
    The sheep will be made, set into the green grass fabric.
    The one that's there now, is a leftover from another project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QuiltE; 08-07-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    QuiltE- Missy Bo Peep is going to be fantastic. Your are amazing at finding fabrics. Is the sheep foundation pieced?

I haven't picked out my next monster yet. I have three Im considering but they are not of the main cast of characters, LOL they are walk on Monsters so to speak. LOL
    Have an awesome day!

Yes, the sheep is simple piecing and from the Christmas Shepherd quilt that Peep is being modelled from. The one in the pic is an extra one with blue background that I pressed back as much as I could to get a better look as to how it will be with the grassy meadow background. The first one I will make it the size it is ... though I am thinking I may re-size for Peep's Sheep!!!

This will be a legitimate PUP project that will progress slooooooooooowly and have lots of sitting time as I ponder what to do and how to do it .... and let the sheep graze in the meadow!!!!

Your fabric choices so far seem to work QuiltE. I really like the sheep. I'm assuming there will be multiple sizes of sheep so that the smaller ones seem to be in the background. It's all about perspective.

So far, Jenniky seems ot be running corcles around the rest of us. Anyone else have some progress to report?

Quote Originally Posted by works4me View Post
    Your fabric choices so far seem to work QuiltE. I really like the sheep. I'm assuming there will be multiple sizes of sheep so that the smaller ones seem to be in the background. It's all about perspective.

So far, Jenniky seems ot be running corcles around the rest of us. Anyone else have some progress to report?
    Good idea, W4Me ... Thanks! .... I think
    you do like crearing more work for me, don't you??

Yes Jenniky is tuly a Wonder Woman ... mention that and I bet she'll make one of those too!

Blog Entries
    Ok Ladies -- I finally picked a cool fabric of "space theme" with planets for my DoctorWho challenge. Just ordered it at fabric.com and was able to get 15% off with a coupon I got from them. They sent it to me for my 3-year anniversary of buying from them. I didn't even realize I've been buying from them that long. And never had one problem.

So, when it shows up, I'll have to start working on my plan for the TARDIS that will be the center theme. Still trying to decide how to proceed from there since I really don't want to create appliques for all the creepy monsters of this show. I might just do some embroidery names of all the different monsters.
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G

Sorry to be gone so long. Been reading your posts and I think they are great. I love your imaginations, wish I had some!
    Toby has a friend he loves to hate at my house. He is the avatar I use. His name is Tommy. Here's his photo:

Name:  100_0152.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  1,007.0 KB

Toby tried to make friends with Tommy, but Tommy hissed and spat at him. You see Tommy does not like animals, he thinks he is a baby, cause Mama calls him a baby. Anyway I digress. On the day Toby greeted Tommy he had to let him know that he wouldn't put up with hissing and spitting, so he barked and chased Tommy down the hall and Tommy had to be put behind closed doors because he made Toby mad.

More to come.....
    Life is Good!

Visit my blog, closed the website:

http://charlottescreationsanew.blogspot.com/

GReat fabric for Tommy's fur, CharlotteMarie!
    And looking forward to reading more of the encounters of Toby and Tommy!

Blog Entries
    Works4Me - Im sure I heard Frankie grunting.... LOL and only reason I get so much done is I don't have to spread myself around between work commitments and cleaning and cooking. So I have an unfair advantage, but I'm not complaining. A day of quilting is always a good day.

QuiltE - Hmmm, Wonder Woman? Nope not my style. Way too flashy. And why does she have to run around in a bathing suit and thigh boots. Really the chick needs some clothes on in my Humble Opinion.

Vickig626 - Have you ever tried using the fabric crayons? I've seen some really awesome quilts made with them. Then you could trace the monsters on to the fabric and color them in. It's definitely a technique I want to try down the line.

Charlottemarie - I have to tell you that I'm enjoying Toby and his adventures the most. I look forward to hearing more as you continue to build on your story quilt. You have created a very original special project quilt. Now that, is imagination at its best.

Have an awesome day!

Now you've given me my morning smile ... of the obvious!

QuiltE - just returning the favour.
    Jenniky - we quilt vicariously through you.
    vickig626 - so glad you found the right fabric. It makes all the difference. I'm looking forward to seeing a photo.
    charlottemarie - I, too, am enjoying the adventures of Toby and friends. It sounds like a wonderful quilt coming together.

[QUOTE=works4me;5428616]QuiltE - just returning the favour. QUOTE]

W4Me ... Just remember ... I don't get mad, I get even!

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast