Fabric Moratorium 2024

Old 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM

I can say that (so far) in April I have resisted all temptations to add to my stash. Unfortunately, I have not resisted temptation to add to my small vintage Singer machine collection. Of course, who knows how the negotiations will go for this gorgeous machine ........
Old 04-22-2024, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
I can say that (so far) in April I have resisted all temptations to add to my stash. Unfortunately, I have not resisted temptation to add to my small vintage Singer machine collection. Of course, who knows how the negotiations will go for this gorgeous machine ........
I like your comment about not "adding to my stash". I have been shopping three times in April, but not adding to my stash. I calculate, shop, cut, sew a new quilt and only have scraps left over. I am getting better at calculating what is needed to make the quilt before walking into the quilt shop. That sure makes a difference in what ends up as stash.

Congratulations on not adding to your fabric stash and the new vintage machine. A different kind of stash it sounds like.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 04-22-2024 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:50 PM

WMUTeach, Still no additions to my fabric stash but I am now the proud owner of a 1881 Singer 12K fiddlebase hand crank. So my sewing machine collection has grown. In my defense, I have been wanting a fiddle base for almost forever. Hubby said no more sewing machines and promised to get my Singer 99 rewired so I won't be tempted again.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:21 PM

I have recently pulled a few pieces out, realized I won't use it and I'm starting a bag to go back to Project Linus. The giveaway table is my downfall. But what came OFF the table, can go back ON.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:15 AM

Good thinking, RFF. Consider it "repurposing". A good way to gently clear the stash.

I went to my quilt group meeting on Monday night and did not bring home anything from our give away table! Whoo Hoo. The best part is we have started leaving UFOs, in brown grocery bags for someone else to take and finish any way they want. I left a bag and someone took it. Win, win for me! This bag of beautiful elegant triangles and other coordinating pieces was given to me two years ago and I just have too many other pots on the stove to add another UFO/mystery quilt to the stove. Off it went to another home. One loss and no stash gain for me.

RFF..... stay away from the table!
Old 04-25-2024, 04:27 AM

As I am finishing up my "Tropical Eclipse: Eye Protection Required" quilt from tropical prints, I found a huge piece (8-9 yards) of a very nice but poly blend of some sort, hot pink and floral. One of the ladies at my sewing group is going to make matching dresses for her and her granddaughter.

In case you missed the picture in the virtual weekend thread, here are a few blocks plus the border and the calmer back... I will have 5x7 blocks and am making one more extra block before I layout and assign spots.

Another lady in the group is making a top out of flannels and I mentioned I have a nice large piece of mottled grey that should be big enough (4-6 yards, she is making more of a lap quilt size) and make a good back for the fabrics on top. Will bring that this next Tuesday. I don't really like working with flannels -- not so much the fabric but the amount of pet hair in my household -- and as we were packing for the move I gave away a large bag of them. This piece was hiding in the "pieces big enough for backs".

So yardage is being used and going out and not coming in!

Trying to set up my basement for the non sewing things, like shelves for the 500-600 or so vinyl albums and other organizational stuff before we set up the new (used) long arm.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6508.jpg  
Old 04-25-2024, 08:19 AM

No chance of feeling gloomy in a room with that quilt, Iceblossom! Way to go for finding a home for so many of your stashed fabrics, too. :-)

Congratulations on your new non-fabric addition, Sync, and well done to those of you who have figured out how to make the Guild free tables work for you. I'm still failing in that area - someone brought in three totes of fabric yesterday including some still-folded batiks and tone-on-tone fabrics... I keep telling myself that I don't need it but my arms still reach out and grab it!

On the bright side of things, I sewed on two hanging sleeves during the meeting so I'm that much closer to being able to start a new project using up some of that stash!

P.S. I've learned that hanging sleeves are a good place to use up fabrics from your stash that you can't see yourself ever using... not sure if I mentioned that before here, but it's felt like a small victory to me. :-)

Last edited by Gemm; 04-25-2024 at 08:22 AM. Reason: added postscript
Old 04-27-2024, 09:10 AM

I used my birthday exemption. Nice to see NEW occasionally
Old 05-01-2024, 06:58 AM

That is one happy quilt iceblossom. I love it.

Happy birthday pet the fabric.

Doing good after my purple fabric fall from the wagon. I've been busy sewing and not shopping thankfully.

I have one project being sewn into a quilt top and another about halfway done. I am fixing a few mistakes on another so I've been busy using my stash.

The only problem now is it's time to clean off the quilt machine. I have packed too much on top of it. We are preparing for a yard sale (how does this stuff accumulate so fast?), and that seems to be where we put it all. I have one path into my quilt room and I must say I am tired of that nonsense. A positive in a sale is I have found things in the quilt room that can go. Close to ten yards of fabric I won't use. If it doesn't sell I will donate it so it can be used by someone at least.

My husband's cousin has taken up quilting at 70 and I might see if she wants any of these. Looking forward to visiting with her this summer to see how it's been going.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:12 PM

Sharing fabric with a new quilter of any age and selling some at your sale are two good ways to deplete your stash! Good for you! Yeah to you, elly66! Congratulations!! Sounds like you are expanding the path through your sewing room. I have been there too. It does goes away.....eventually.