Fabric Moratorium 2024

Old 01-05-2024, 04:20 PM

Thanks for clarifying the "need", Rff - you're absolutely right!

I've already put the larger pieces through the wash and have a stack of weird orphan blocks I'd never use that I will pick apart (I actually enjoy this task in small chunks like this will be) and those pieces will go to my colour boxes. I'm actually quite pleased by what I have discovered, including about 1/4 yard of neutral fabrics which are always in short supply here.

What is the "HI" you suggested?
Old 01-05-2024, 06:19 PM

HI blocks are a 9 patch- 2 long bars of color A across top and bottom, a square of color A in the middle and 2 contrasting on either side. Shapes a little like an H or an I (90 degrees rotation). Just a fun little scrap block.

If you like unlocking seams...go and have your Bliss!

As for me - I declare this weekend to be "A Festival of Binding". I have 3 to do - all in a blue palette. So I'm cutting what I got to finish these off. 2 charity and 1 for ME. This weekend is our first snowstorm so - it's hot chocolate, black n white movie and sewing weather
Old 01-06-2024, 05:38 AM

Started my first "new" quilt for the year. Just a simple checkerboard alternating color and white. I am doing color ways, so will end up with a rainbow quilt of some sort. Using my 2.5s collection and scraps of white. Easy, peasy and will delete scrap white/white pieces that are too small for other purposes. I will be checking the stash for backing in a week or two. Likely will be frankenbatting to diminish batting stack too!

By the way, and this may be too late for many of you, but I used some of those long, narrow pieces of batting to wrap around fragile Christmas decorations before I packed them away for the year. Also, cut some batting scraps into small pieces to put in my ornament boxes, you know those sturdy boxes with dividers for individual glass balls you find that this time of year. The individual compartments are often too large and the ornaments rattle around. But not any more. Repurposed batting that would otherwise go in the trash.
Old 01-06-2024, 05:46 AM

WMUTeach - great suggestions. I always end up with batting that just a bit too small to do anything with. Never thought to use it to protect anything fragile.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:28 AM

I live close to a "make your own ceramics" place and they are constantly shipping fired pieces to tourists back home. I give them my narrow trimming.

There is always more than I can use!
Old 01-06-2024, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Started my first "new" quilt for the year. Just a simple checkerboard alternating color and white. I am doing color ways, so will end up with a rainbow quilt of some sort. Using my 2.5s collection and scraps of white. Easy, peasy and will delete scrap white/white pieces that are too small for other purposes. I will be checking the stash for backing in a week or two. Likely will be frankenbatting to diminish batting stack too!

By the way, and this may be too late for many of you, but I used some of those long, narrow pieces of batting to wrap around fragile Christmas decorations before I packed them away for the year. Also, cut some batting scraps into small pieces to put in my ornament boxes, you know those sturdy boxes with dividers for individual glass balls you find that this time of year. The individual compartments are often too large and the ornaments rattle around. But not any more. Repurposed batting that would otherwise go in the trash.
great idea
Old 01-08-2024, 10:10 PM

I’m glad I found this years thread after I went on a fabric shopping spree. I bought fabric to make a new king size quilt I hope to have completed by summer or Christmas at the latest. I’m hoping it looks okay. I will start it next month. So I will jump on the wagon again this year at zero in and zero out.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:31 AM

I've lost my 1\4 piecing foot. How do you lose such an essential part of your sewing kit I don't know... maybe I'm special. So I went to JoAnns yesterday to get a new one....and spotted the beautiful little winter FQ bundle of batik. Immediately started drooling. Picked it up and couldn't see the price. Looking around...and realized I have *plenty* of fabric and don't need more. Walked out without buying anything. (Didn't see the foot either)

Stay strong my friends!
Old 01-09-2024, 03:56 AM

Good job, Rff1010, at using your power of resistance to the lure of a a batik bundle. Bask in all the fabric you have at your finger tips in your stash that is already paid for and waiting to be put to use in a new quilt. Fingers crossed that you can find the 1/4" foot. Mr. Google can always lend a hand.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:40 AM

It's a real challenge for me to get to any fabric store, as the closest is more than an hour away. But I had to take a road trip the other day and found myself near a JoAnn's. One of my dogs sleeps on a simple pillow filled with shredded foam, and it needs to be replaced every couple of years. As I didn't have any suitable fabric (I usually use a heavy twill or home dec fabric), I picked up enough for a couple more rounds. OK, so I had to look around while I was there, right! Found Warm and Natural batting for 40% off, and since I'm down to enough for maybe two more quilts, some jumped into my cart. For some reason, that seemed to satisfy my itch, and I drove right past the LQS on my way home.

So, temptation averted, at least for now.