Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
FFC -- One FQ:  "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c >

FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c

FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c

Old 08-22-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
I store my blocks in a box too but before I do that I pin them to the design wall to admire what I did
That's part of the reason I was thinking about basting them to paper. My admiration will probably graduate to petting!!
Old 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM

Can't give you any tips on stabilizing shot cottons DogHouseMom. But I thank you for the information you are providing.

It turns out I CAN do curves. Challenge block 2 is complete and will be dropped off this weekend.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]488681[/ATTACH]
While stitching I kept thinking about a Friends episode where Ross was too cheap to pay to have a couch delivered. They were trying to go up this narrow stairway and he kept saying "pivot, pivot, pivot". Well, they got stuck but I didn't. I guess I pivot better. I'm quite pleased with how the second block turned out. The applique stitching isn't perfect but it worked quite well IMO.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]488683[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails block-2.jpg   block-2-close-up.jpg  
Old 08-22-2014, 11:12 PM

So tell me, what's not perfect about the stitching??? It's beautiful!! Now you know, YOU can do it too
Old 08-23-2014, 05:36 AM

Works4Me ... that's fantastic!!! It's so uniform!! Tell me, what weight thread did you use? It looks fairly heavy - and lovely!!
Old 08-23-2014, 05:39 AM

Love, love, love your design. What an excellent use of the FQ from a friend.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:07 AM

Thanks Anael. There are a few gaps and a few areas where there is over coverage but, overall, I'm really happy. I don't think anyone will notice but my worst critic, me.

DogHouseMom - thank you. I used Aurofil 40wt. I use it for all my machine sewing now. The machine stitch goes each direction twice so it ends up looking quite a bit like my hand buttonhole stitch.

Thanks jeanne49 - this is actually the third design. The first was a friendship tree with challenge fabric from the friend who started this thread. The second, another tree with challenge fabric from a quilt store. All money raised by the store, plus a quilt from the returned blocks, goes to The Delta Hospice. This third one is another charity one I did for the store after the fact so they would have an even amount of blocks for the quilt. I also made sure it co-ordinated with my first block for them.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:38 PM

I finally finished the planning stage of my DJ. Below is an image from DJEQ. I couldn't get the DJ software to insert the offsetting triangles against the outside edge, but those will be the same light grey used throughout the quilt. I am using the same light grey for the sashing and the background fabric in the blocks. If I planned it right ... some of the blocks will appear to "float".

This layout uses all of the DJ blocks including triangles and kites. Will be a generous King (108 square).

The colors are "rough". I didn't upload *my* colors and just chose the closest thing I could find in the DJ solids.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]488791[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scan-1.jpeg  
Old 08-23-2014, 02:43 PM

And now a question about fabric yardage ....

I have a total of 4 colors in the above DJ. When I add all the yardage together it comes out to 56.5 yards (excluding the backing!!). That CAN'T be right!!!!
Old 08-23-2014, 02:51 PM

That's going to look great DHM!
I'm with you on the 56 yards. Say what? Since I don't plan to ever do a DJ, I can't help you on that. Maybe it takes a lot of yardage because of the waste from all those tiny pieces? By 56 still seems extreme.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:18 PM

That's a stunning lay out DHM!!! Somewhere I read you need 20 yards of background fabric and that seemed a lot to me. I don't know if that's right. But 56 yards...........wow, that doesn't seem right indeed!