Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
FFC -- One FQ:  "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c >

FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c

FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c

Old 08-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

**passing thru**
and glad to see such lovely Eye Candy!!!

.... Anael excluded! OUCH!!!! Hope you can get that to heal up quickly and not be a constant bother.

DHMom ... Gorgeous layout and colour scheme. You might drive yourself nuts, trying to keep all the shots going in the same direction. While the warp and weft are different, letting it just happen as they land, may not be as bad as you might think.

No real idea how to estimate the fabric for you Some thoughts ... scale it out on graph paper to calculate your white space. As for the blocks, perhaps count the # blocks/tris/kites you are doing and compare to the original DJ to get your proportions and then factor that against the estimate in the DJ site. That info was somewhat hidden amidst all the sub-pages in the site, just look around for a bit!

As for how to stabilize ... press your fabric with Best Press before you start working with it. You'll get a little more body and stiffness to it. Then once done ... remove your PP papers, and press again with more BP. You will find that they can be moved around endlessly, stacked and stored .... with virtually no fraying and maintaining their press. I did that for FWS, PC and now DJ ... and those blocks were packed up and moved around a gazillion times. Even when the quilt was assembled, it made it oh so nice to work with the blocks, and so few loose threads were wandering across the back (or front) of the quilt, from fabric edges shedding!!!!

W4Me ... and if that't not perfect, I can only imagine what you are going to have as you do it more and more!! FANTASTIC! Your LQS must be thrilled to have that one added to the block collection.

OKSGlad ... I took a wander and saw your beautiful new minis!!! Spectacular!! Have your Quilt Tea jars been depleted? Or like the bottomless cups of coffee?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 PM

I had to stop for a while. It's not healed but it doesn't get time to heal as I keep pooking the same spot over and over again. So I change fingers Now I have two damaged fingertips. But I purchased liquid skin, it might help.
Yes OK, I'm alive
Old 08-27-2014, 06:29 AM

Fabulous minis oksewglad.

How is the wound healing Anael?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:31 AM

I'm in one piece again, thanks for asking W4M
Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 PM

Glad to hear it Anael. Odd, but when I posted this morning, I didn't get to see QuiltE nor your post. Gremlins. I hope the liquid skin helps. I've heard good things about it. I guess this means you don't use a thimble.

Thanks QuiltE. She was thrilled to get the new block, and so soon, too. As a matter of fact, she let slip that my other block won by a landslide. Sure good for the ego. Maybe that's why I'm doing a couple of Halloween table runner samples for the store.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

woohooo .... commission work for W4Me!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 PM

W4M, I do use a thimble but the poked finger is on the hand under the quilt. So when I've poked one enough I switch to another finger........
Old 08-28-2014, 05:28 AM

QuiltE - what commission? I'm doing it for the occasional percentage off and to not only help the store out but see my work displayed and appreciated.

Anael- shows you how much hand work I do. There are the little moleskin-type pieces to use for the hand under the quilt, aren't there? To me, I've tried a thimble a couple times but don't like the bulk. I would go for the stick on dots. And, again, OUCH!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

W4Me ... I still consider it commission work, that you have been asked to do .... and while not a direct cash pay, you are getting benefits! Awesome!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by works4me View Post
QuiltE - what commission? I'm doing it for the occasional percentage off and to not only help the store out but see my work displayed and appreciated.

Anael- shows you how much hand work I do. There are the little moleskin-type pieces to use for the hand under the quilt, aren't there? To me, I've tried a thimble a couple times but don't like the bulk. I would go for the stick on dots. And, again, OUCH!
I think I would sew the moleskin pieces to the quilt like I do with my fingers I'm getting used to using a thimble but I had a hard time getting used to it.

Great you get your work on display!! Congrats!