Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-26-2014, 08:57 PM

I spent some time this evening playing with various numbers to see how things could possibly be arranged to make the quilt come together given how many square inches are already accounted for in the first five clues. I'm going to go on record with a guess for what's left for us to make:

- a 1 inch inner border AND
- 36 3x3" corner stones

If I get a chance, I'll snap a photo of my guess at the arrangement of what we've got so far.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:37 PM

So will clue #6 include the reveal or does that come later? Stopped to do #5 and will go back to 4 once done. Just curious as this is my first MQ. Used Bonnie's colors but not as scrappy.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:47 AM

I am just wondering..... I am doing this quilt quarter size, which means that I am only doing one-forth of all the units. When it comes to unit 5B, should I make only one unit, or four? It may be that these will be the corners of the quilt, and if so, I will in fact need four of them, as will anyone else who is downsizing this quilt.

I guess because it is only four units, I will make all four and assume that they will be the corners. It would be nice to know, but that is the mystery of it all.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:19 AM

Susan Susan: Have you used the CT whites before? I usually use Kona white but was wondering how CT's compare.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:47 AM

LOL! I am amazed to see 142 pages of posts! Silly me. I'm usually in the Vintage section ogling the machines and thought this morning "oh I wonder if anyone on QB is doing the mystery quilt?" Hahaha! I guess so!

This is only my second quilt ever and I got a late start but am all caught up and eager to see how it's all going to come together! I just finished Clue #4 at 11:30 pm Thursday night and did all 29 squares yesterday for Clue #5!

I'm scanning through now to see all the fabric choices and squares done!
Old 12-27-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by colorfulom View Post
I spent some time this evening playing with various numbers to see how things could possibly be arranged to make the quilt come together given how many square inches are already accounted for in the first five clues. I'm going to go on record with a guess for what's left for us to make:

- a 1 inch inner border AND
- 36 3x3" corner stones

If I get a chance, I'll snap a photo of my guess at the arrangement of what we've got so far.
interesting...so a 34" square inner border around some of the units(which would be blocks at that point) so subtracting the 324 for cornerstones (interesting) and then subtracting 4" and dividing by four it comes out even and is a very interesting idea, colorfulmom
Old 12-27-2014, 09:01 AM

Here's what I get when I try to figure out what Bonnie has in store for us. Even if I'm right, I still can't figure out how she's going to twist and turn the pieces to give us those great secondary patterns that are in all of her patterns!

The orange highlighted bits are what I think we still have left to make.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]503817[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails grand-illusion-mystery-layout-guess.jpg  
Old 12-27-2014, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
interesting...so a 34" square inner border around some of the units(which would be blocks at that point) so subtracting the 324 for cornerstones (interesting) and then subtracting 4" and dividing by four it comes out even and is a very interesting idea, colorfulmom
Actually, the border I'm seeing is around everything except the clue #4 blocks and the four "odd" blocks from clue #5, which could be an outer border. So my 1" border would go around a 78" center, bringing it to 80", which would make the 4" border formed by the clue #4 and 5 blocks come right up to the 88" that Bonnie has stated.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:21 AM

wonder what color an inner border might be.....if there is an inner border.....

being that close to Clue 3 blocks ... probably not neutral, green, or even black ... if there is a inner border..anyone reading this...these are 'best guess'....from the clues so far

do not sew anything by these guesses !

sure is fun sharing guesses

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 12-27-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
my DD and I decided the 4 are corner blocks or at least a portion of a corner block assembly...we are making 4 figure we will need them for our 1/4 sized quilts.

ok so after clue 5 we have 640 square inches remaining DD guesses 40 4x4 blocks and my guess is 40 2x8 units and I know this is silly math but it is fun to make guesses and have no idea what the final reveal will reveal. This is assuming the next clue is last unit construction before joining
giggle...maybe it is 20 4x4 and 20 2x8 .....giggle, it is time for coffee.
I'm so glad you are keeping up with the math for us, Sun... my brain just doesn't want to work that hard!

I can't start my blocks yet as I still have my company in from Christmas and we are enjoying using my dining table for playing games and such. There will be time enough to sew when everyone's gone.

I was glad to be able to pick through my aqua squares for this clue!