Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-26-2014, 05:53 PM

I'm feeling totally clueless. I'm doing week 3. The strips sets of green, white, green, white. And black, green, white green. I keep reading the instructions and can't understand the length to sub cut. Im sure it's an operator error.

I'm pretty sure after I have my 4 strips together it's a 3.5 inch cut after that. Am I right? Hope my question is clear.

Last edited by SusanSusan33; 12-26-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:12 PM

Susan, you put the strip sets of black green white green pretty sides together with the green white green white strips and nest the seams (the whites should be lined up with greens) then subcut 2" pieces that are already matched up to sew. Result will be a 2 by 8 patch block.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:20 PM

the "two by four" unit measures 3.5" tall by 6.5" long and will finish at 3" x 6" in the quilt
make 120 from 2" strips for 88x88 version
Old 12-26-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Susan, you put the strip sets of black green white green pretty sides together with the green white green white strips and nest the seams (the whites should be lined up with greens) then subcut 2" pieces that are already matched up to sew. Result will be a 2 by 8 patch block.
Thank you thank you thank you!! I just finished sewing and ironing all my strips and will tackle this next step in the morning/ afternoon.

I made 5 sets of each unit. I have no idea how many of everything to cut in general. It seems like I have so much if everything til I get things finished and realize I didn't make all that many. Like my week 2 unit of 18. I know bonnie says it depends on your of and to only count your units but I'm not so good at estimating how much I need. Not that I'm whining or anything. Lol.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 PM

And OMGosh! Luck of the Christmas star- all my strpis nesting will be perfect for the next step. I ironed everything to the greens. Maybe it's the luck of the Irish. Oh wait- I'm not Irish.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:23 PM

Sorry I meant to say a 2 by 4 (8 patch) block. I have mine ready to subcut - I am doing the full size so I made 18 of each 4 strip set at least 14 inches long and will end up with 126 finished units. I am doing scrappy which is why I only made them 14 inches long - I could mix them up pretty well at that size.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:30 PM

Husky ... I too would lean toward white with the boldness of those gorgeous batiks. But here's a sideways thought ... have you considered silver or a soft dove grey?
Old 12-26-2014, 08:30 PM

Kathy-- Thank you! I'm doing scrappy too. I did mostly 22 inch strips for the strip sets. Hope it doesn't get hard to stay scrappy. Luckily my daughter who's getting the quilt for her new full sized bed isn't the quilt police and won't fuss if two fabrics touch each other.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:35 PM

I'm still plugging away at my green/white/black units (forgot what clue that is ... 3??). I'm more than half way through and I should be finished soon. I have some pieces cut for the next step (the next set of alternate broken dishes) and the 4 patches will be a breeze.

The good news is that I have LOTS of time to sew now. My company takes a (paid!) holiday shutdown and I don't have to go back to work until January 5!!!! I have LOTS of sewing planned ... not just this project but I need to bind a King size quilt. I'm thinking of putting a big 2" binding on it so it looks like a final border. Has anyone done that? Is the method any different than regular binding?? (I do my binding by machine sewing to the front, then hand sewing to the back). That quilt BTW happens to be the only other Bonnie Hunter quilt I've ever done, it's the Blue Ridge Beauty but I did it totally "random" scrappy paying attention only to dark vs light. Its the first quilt I did for ME.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post
Kathy-- Thank you! I'm doing scrappy too. I did mostly 22 inch strips for the strip sets. Hope it doesn't get hard to stay scrappy. Luckily my daughter who's getting the quilt for her new full sized bed isn't the quilt police and won't fuss if two fabrics touch each other.
If this quilt is as "busy" as I suspect it will be, two fabrics next to each other (or opposite corners in the green/white/black units) will not be readily apparent. I just finished the Blue Ridge Beauty and even though I tried, I know I have some fabrics that join at corners. You know what ... I don't care I think the occasional "duplicate" is part and parcel of "random scrappy". It's going to happen.