Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-26-2014, 06:25 AM

Thanks Sunlitensmiles! I haven't decided either way yet. I think I might have to make a couple the diamonds from step 2 in each and see how they look.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I cut my neutrals into 4.5" x 2.5" rectangles first. Then I cut the pinks and blacks with the easy angle ruler, just like we did for clue 1. I lined up the corners of the triangles with the corner of the rectangles and sewed them on. I did not cut the extra part of the rectangles away, but rather used those ends to line up the triangles when pressing. I got perfect rectangular pieces that way... then joined the two into a block.

So... I guess I'd say my method is a hybrid of versions 3 and 1.
This is such a great idea, I'm going to try this tonight when I start my double diamonds!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:38 AM

huskyquilter, I think either of your neutrals will work. Depends on how much contrast you want in your quilt. The white will be more stark and the other more muted. I would probably use the white.

Last edited by Pam H; 12-26-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by huskyquilter View Post
Well, it's probably rather basic, but I didn't realize that there was such a difference between pressing and ironing. You want to avoid using steam because it overstretches the fabric and causes all sorts of problems. I also was way over doing it on the ironing. Just a simple, super quick press to set the seam, then flip open the block and a quick press down. No steam needed. Also was turned on to a very helpful product called the steady betty (you can order it from amazon) that has a little friction and anchors the fabric as you press so it doesn't move and stretch.
Thanks for this... I have been using steam. Will try without and see the difference.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:55 AM

Come to think of it, I don't think it's the black itself I'm disliking in the quilt, but the placement of strong yellow with black. I've just never cared for that particular combination. I think that's why I'm favoring this muted gold.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by huskyquilter View Post
Well, it's probably rather basic, but I didn't realize that there was such a difference between pressing and ironing. You want to avoid using steam because it overstretches the fabric and causes all sorts of problems. I also was way over doing it on the ironing. Just a simple, super quick press to set the seam, then flip open the block and a quick press down. No steam needed. Also was turned on to a very helpful product called the steady betty (you can order it from amazon) that has a little friction and anchors the fabric as you press so it doesn't move and stretch.
Reminds me of when I was teaching a friend to quilt a couple of years ago. She was a seamstress for many years making all kinds of clothing for people. She would iron the crap out of her piecing! I just couldn't get her to press. She also had a hard time with the 1/4 inch seam since she was used to doing 5/8.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:49 AM

Ha ha! Yes, that's exactly what I've been doing! The ironing was taking 5 times longer that it should have! Once I got in the flow of everything, I was able to finish 70 broken dishes blocks in a few hours. The other 30 had taken me days and didn't look nearly as nice!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:24 AM

Huskyquilter, I think I'd try the white too. Maybe there isn't enough contrast between the present neutral and the yellow. These are going to be so pretty together.

Joe's mom, I like both of your yellows, maybe the second one a bit better. I couldn't stand the thought of doing all those over though, so if it were me (lazy me) I'd stick with the first yellow.

Do ya suppose those four blocks are corner blocks? I'm doing 1/4 size quilt but just doing one of those four blocks doesn't make much sense. LOL Since it's a light week I think I'll make all four. Sure glad to see some more aqua.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:29 AM

I'm guessing the 4-B blocks in clue #5 will be our four corner blocks??? I've been trying real hard not to guess how this is all going to turn out, but that's part of the fun, "MYSTERY"!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2014, 09:10 AM

my DD and I decided the 4 are corner blocks or at least a portion of a corner block assembly...we are making 4 figure we will need them for our 1/4 sized quilts.

ok so after clue 5 we have 640 square inches remaining DD guesses 40 4x4 blocks and my guess is 40 2x8 units and I know this is silly math but it is fun to make guesses and have no idea what the final reveal will reveal. This is assuming the next clue is last unit construction before joining
giggle...maybe it is 20 4x4 and 20 2x8 .....giggle, it is time for coffee.