Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-06-2014, 11:54 AM

Joy, maybe if you told us what kind of problems you are having, we could help you.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:55 AM

In between other things I got one set of chevrons done except for sewing them in pairs.
I got 10 individual ones from a strip set to make 5 pairs. Not as many as I expected. There is waste but I expected that and the other method #3 was so tedious and I expect has just as much waste.
This is super easy. The hard part is making your first cuts! Had to look at the computer 10 times before I was comfortable doing that. Next few sets will go super fast now that I know what I am doing. I'm super happy with the method! http://roseprairiequilts.blogspot.co...-illusion.html
I'll have this clue done tomorrow and be able to catch up on clue 1.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:01 PM

I really really like seeing everyone's progress. I'm behind. I made around 140 triangle units. Whew. These were my first EVER triangles. Well the wall hanging in my avatar has two little ones but I don't think that counts. I really like the easy angle ruler. I'm so glad I bought that baby!!! Of course last night when I was trying to figure it out I wasn't so crazy about it. I watched Bonnie's video a hundred times before I felt like I wasdling it right. I'm a lefty to boot. It was the whole go back to step one in the cutting that threw me off.

I Made only the first block but have all week ones components cut and ready to assemble. I hope to do some sewing tonight. After my daughter football game we're going to. She's 14 and a cheerleader. She has two other girls sleeping over and has cheer all day tomorrow. I dropped her off at 7:30 this morning. This quilt will go on her new full sized bed. I have the headboard and footboard. just need the mattress and box spring. Haha. [ATTACH=CONFIG]501373[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by SusanSusan33; 12-06-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:03 PM

And thank you a million times to eveyone who posted the strip method to do week two. Wowsa.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:08 PM

Oh hand using the June tailor shape cutter to cut 2.5 inch squares was soooo easy. I've only done the strips. Turning that bug far on its side after the strips were cut was so easy and fast.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:23 PM

ok, Emma..here are clues#1 & #2

[ATTACH=CONFIG]501376[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]501376[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pc060057.jpg  
Old 12-06-2014, 12:26 PM

LOL, ok did not mean for it to show twice......and I see...forgot to put the reserved Aqua/Geranium HST in the picture.

well you get the idea, I have followed the paint chips as near as I had in stash.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:03 PM

Whoops! I found another chevron on the floor so it was 11 out of a width of fabric strip set!

I couldn't resist sewing a pair together and it came out a perfect 4.5 inches!

Great job Sunliten! So pretty.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon View Post
Well, I haven't been posting but thought I would jump in. My first BH and MQ. I am sooo out of my comfort zone doing triangles and diamonds and now I know why. I've got this, fellow quilters. I am shooting for the grand prize of the ugliest and most wonky quilt of them all, hands down. I don't want to post any pictures as someone might figure out how to copy me, no chance. Mine won't look like an illusion but a nightmare. Maybe if my wooden mallet holds together I might get them all scrunched together, forget about quilting, is tying allowed? It is fun though. I think Bonnie is an angel or a glutton for punishment for doing this for us. I can't imagine her doing it more than once. Hang in there everyone!!!
Rolling on floor laughing....loved your comment" won't look like an illusion but a nightmare"!
i share your sentiment.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:51 PM

I go away for awhile, and come back to talk of nightmares! LOL.

SusanSusan33, I'm behind, too. I have all my HST strips cut, and have been sewing a single one of each pairing. I have them arranged into blocks with the black and yellow, and am now going to sew those into the broken dishes blocks. Once those are done, I will move on to clue #2, and once I figure out my neutrals and a method, I'll go back and finish clue #1. Once again with clue #2, seeing finished units is really helping me understand what sorts of effects I want and don't want.

SunlitenSmiles, your blocks really fit your screen name! So pretty and cheerful.