Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 03-08-2015, 11:32 AM

I really don't like my rendition of "Grand Illusion" -- I call it grand chaos. But I promised myself I would finish it, or at least as many blocks I had pieces for. It still looks unfinished to me, so might try a mottled green border an inch larger than the yellow. Then again, perhaps not. This will be a charity quilt as I just cannot bring myself to give it to someone I like.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]512927[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails r-grand-illusion.jpg  
Old 03-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Ok Belfrybat, since you said so many negative things about your quilt I won't tell you that it came out wonderful and I like it a lot! I hope it makes someone's day when they receive it.

Instead of another border (not necessary, IMO) why not just use the mottled green for your binding?
Old 03-08-2015, 01:02 PM

I like yours better than mine, Belfrybat. I seem to favor the ones like yours that are less scrappy. I especially like your green. Mine are too chaotic for my taste and I may save them for another quilt. Even though it's not one of your favorites, I'm sure this quilt will be much loved and appreciated.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:22 PM

I've been sewing my blocks together -- they're quite a mess, especially this last seam, attaching the right side of the block. It's sobering to see what an inaccurate piecer I am. If I do the 2015 mystery, I intend to do lots of checking as I make units.

Tonight I reached an impasse. I had a right side that was so bad, it couldn't be salvaged. Since I'm doing a 4x4, I thought, I'll go get some of my extra units and construct another right side. I can't find those units anywhere! Where on earth could I have put them? It's not as if our house is that large. I've been through all the rooms and the basement. My sewing room is small and full, so I think I do remember deciding there was no place to keep them in there. I'm hoping that I'll wake up in the morning and remember what I did with them (I'm always finding perfect, out of the way places to put things, and then can never find them.) If they don't turn up, I'll just start from scratch.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:11 AM

Joe's mom: Don't think there is a quilter among us that hasn't done something similar. I'm working on a border (not the GI) that I'm coming up five blocks short. I swear I counted them when I was making them. Tore through the many piles in my sewing room, no luck. With me its also an issue of did they really exist? Good luck with the final stages of your GI!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:22 AM

Thank you, Emma! I did find my extra units. I had put them on my 'to be quilted' shelf, but had covered up the container with another quilt top! Onward!
Old 03-22-2015, 01:56 AM

Been there, done that, Joe's mom! Just the other day I couldn't find something and said to myself, "I had it in my hand not 5 minutes ago. It HAS to be here somewhere!"

Haven't had time to work on it lately. I still have lots of cutting to do and I'm procrastinating on that. Becoming harder to do that with my eyes and bifocals. I'll have to push through and get to the piecing part.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:07 AM

joe'smom, I hate it when that happens. For me it's usually paperwork and it drives me absolutely crazy. I tell myself, no more piles, put things away, file them, finish what you're doing. AAACCCKKK!!! Glad you found them.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:51 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514473[/ATTACH]
I kept thinking that I would get a better photo before posting a picture of my GI quilt top but decided to go ahead and post the picture. I finished the top at the end of February. I don't know how to rotate the photo. If someone will tell me, then I can re-post. I made changes from the original design. Instead of using the turquoise and yellow four-patch for the center, I made HST blocks sewn together using each of the main colors in the quilt - yellow, turquoise, pink and green along with a black and white dotted fabric. Rather than use the turquoise blocks for cornerstones, I made pinwheel blocks utilizing the same fabrics that I used in the center block. Then, I sashed all of my blocks using black fabric and added an additional border from the black and white dotted fabric that I utilized for the pinwheels and center blocks. Because I added sashings, my outside border had to be increased by two complete blocks on every side. My GI is 104" square.
Attached Thumbnails img_3926.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 08:07 AM

Ladydukes I think your quilt is fantabulous congratulations on your finishing such an enormous quilt.