Harriet's Journey BOM

Old 03-17-2021, 04:09 AM

Default Harriet's Journey BOM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I worked on the Oregon Trail block (G-4?) yesterday and am happy to report it's finished. Afterwards, I checked to see if there will be more similarly curvy. Luckily, no. While I'm OK with making larger curved blocks, the tiny size was a challenge. I ended up hand appliqueing the curved pieces to solid 2" squares. It looks good. I think it would have been easier to applique four larger circles onto squares and then cutting them in quarters.

Next, I tackled G-8 and was faced with those classic, tiny Y seams. I remember doing those for Jennifer's "Cornucopia of Thanks." Decided to try making chevrons instead... today. Harriet's Journey is definitely a journey for me. How's everyone else doing? Have you found an easier way to make a particular block?
I am afraid I didn't make G4 - I am not a lover of curves - maybe later !!! I am also not a lover of Y seams - but did do it and they were OK but very fiddly. I will try to see if I can do it a different way on the next time we make a block with them in it !

Look forward to seeing your blocks !
Old 03-17-2021, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I didn't use y seams on mine, but I'm not following the directions. I'm drawing up the block in EQ8 and deciding from that how to sew. So while I'm drawing it up, I'll put in a seam here and there if it eliminates Y and won't mess up the pattern. Usually if they are in the background fabric, it does not matter. I don't have trouble with Y seams, but they can be a pain when it's very small. At least with a sampler, it's not like we are doing it over and over and over again!

Reminds me of the thread about technique, sometimes we get so focused on following the directions that we don't consider a different method that might be more to our liking.
That is very true Cathy, there is always more ways to go about a certain technique ! I shall try cutting the triangle in half + seam allowance and see how that goes. I haven't got EQ8 I am afraid !
Old 03-17-2021, 04:31 AM

What I loved about Dear Jane and Nearly Insane was having a full scale drawing of the whole finished block so I could make my own decisions about how to proceed without directions to distract me. Will keep my graph paper handy during this journey.
Marianne
Old 03-17-2021, 08:26 AM

Here are my first four blocks - I am using a Moda line called "Moody Bloom" but the Air Castle was made before my fabric arrived. May re-do it later.
Attached Thumbnails harriets-journey-1.jpg  
Old 03-17-2021, 09:29 AM

I worked on the Oregon Trail block (G-4?) yesterday and am happy to report it's finished. Afterwards, I checked to see if there will be more similarly curvy. Luckily, no. While I'm OK with making larger curved blocks, the tiny size was a challenge. I ended up hand appliqueing the curved pieces to solid 2" squares. It looks good. I think it would have been easier to applique four larger circles onto squares and then cutting them in quarters.

Next, I tackled G-8 and was faced with those classic, tiny Y seams. I remember doing those for Jennifer's "Cornucopia of Thanks." Decided to try making chevrons instead... today. Harriet's Journey is definitely a journey for me. How's everyone else doing? Have you found an easier way to make a particular block?
We figured out the same thing, I appliqued Oregon Trail (G4) too. The recommended way just didn't work for me.
On Poinsettia (G8) I made it the Bonnie Hunter way. Cut 8 2 3/4 x 1 1/4 red, 16 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 beige squares. Sewed corner to corner on the beige to make the rhomuses. Better than trying to set in a tiny triangle.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:01 PM

Here are my first four blocks - I am using a Moda line called "Moody Bloom" but the Air Castle was made before my fabric arrived. May re-do it later.
Your blocks look really nice Marianne ! I love Moda fabrics.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:33 AM

As I look back on my sewing yesterday, I realize I have almost made each block twice. Hopefully it will get better and better. But I think I know why the fabric requirements seem high when the blocks require 2 x 2 squares or smaller. Either way, I'll have lots of practice blocks for the back. Y'all have a great day today!
Old 03-18-2021, 10:36 AM

Mkotch, your blocks are beautiful! I think the first one goes well with the others. I almost bought that fabric line, it's really gorgeous.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:57 PM

I have ordered the book from Amazon and I will probably make 1 or 2 blocks a week. I haven't decided on my fabrics yet but I will study the book and then decide on my colors. This looks like a challenging quilt and yet doable in small pieces. Thanks for organizing this.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore View Post
I have ordered the book from Amazon and I will probably make 1 or 2 blocks a week. I haven't decided on my fabrics yet but I will study the book and then decide on my colors. This looks like a challenging quilt and yet doable in small pieces. Thanks for organizing this.
Hi Fabric Galore, Lovely to have you join us on this journey ! Look forward to seeing your blocks as you make them !