Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: International Patriotic Challenge

Talking Work in progress USA patriotic

An US Marine large walhanging for my cousin's son who served in Iraq.
    Large twin US Army.
    Pattern in progress of piecing. It looked like an easy pattern but odly enough I find it challenging to keep track of the colors and pieces and it has been slow go. I do like the results. I cut all the pieces and made only a couple of completed blocks sofar. I have a hard time coming up with a system so I can chain piece or some kind of faster organized way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Annaquilts; 05-16-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    Anna Quilts

Annaquilts - that looks like it is going to be really nice. We are here to encourage you. Hopefully someone can provide you with piecing tips, too. So far, it looks great.

I have a feeling this thread is going to continue well past July 1 and that is fine by me. After all, you should be patriotic all year long, not just one day per year.

Quote Originally Posted by works4me View Post
    I have a feeling this thread is going to continue well past July 1 and that is fine by me. After all, you should be patriotic all year long, not just one day per year.

I sure hope it does and I know I will not be done with the Old Favorite Pattern come July 4 th.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    I sure hope it does and I know I will not be done with the Old Favorite Pattern come July 4 th.

It is indeed a lovely pattern ... and is going to make for one beautiful quilt!

As to how to speed up the piecing, I am thinking you have probably experimented in all the ways possible, but here's my insights from what I see. The pattern is basically one block made in two colourways, and it take four to complete a star, with more stars started in the corner. Could you assembly line quilt the similar parts of each block (eg. all the 4 patches). Then assembly line all the components you ahve made into the blocks?

We'll be here to cheer you on ... and watch this quilt come together!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I happened upon this thread just the other day, thanks to Jen-jenniky(?)--thanks Jen. Love the patriotic fabrics you are using for the mystery quilt and for this one!!

Anyway I've been trying to catch up on what everyone's been chatting about--seems like a really fun and encouraging group!! I've got a patriotic quilt that i have been working on for quite awhile and this group may provide just the encouragement I need to finally finish it!! (I'd post a couple pics, but they are on our home computer and I'm away from home now, traveling to northern California to Fort Bragg to camp with our BFF's).

Love all the pictures of the patriotic quilts everyone has or is making!!
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

Oh wow, Anna those are awesome!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

yayaquilts - Great to have you join us. Looking forward to photos when you get home.

Yes, we will provide oodles of encouragement to keep you making progress.

Hope you are enjoying your trip.

Muv
    Quote Originally Posted by works4me View Post
    Sorry, Muv, but barley leek soup trumps mashed potatoes.
    That's all right, I'm a big girl, I can take it. But next time you are having sausages and gravy...

Also, leeks keep well in the freezer. Wash them, drain them, slice them, and put them raw in a bag in the freezer and use them when you want. If you see a book recommend that they should be blanched, ignore it.

Leek applique (or is it lique appleeke?) finished today. Next is shamrock for Northern Ireland.

MissCountrygirl - if you want a sewing friend in England send me a message! Will you do a French quilt with a tricolor, fleur de lys and cock?

Many years ago I made a leek pie. It was kind of like a quiche but made with leeks. It was very good!

It was kind of like this except I used just plain old cheddar cheese-

French Leek Pie
    Ingredients
    1 (9 inch) refrigerated pie crust
    2 teaspoons butter
    3 leeks, chopped
    1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste
    1 cup light cream
    1 1/4 cups shredded Gruyere cheese

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    2. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in leeks; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cream and cheese, and warm through. Pour mixture into pie shell
    3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until custard is set and golden on top. Allow to sit 10 minutes before cutting pie into wedges.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 365 | Total Fat: 26.8g | Cholesterol: 57mgPowered by ESHA Nutrient Database
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 05-16-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    Anna Quilts

Welcome YaYa!
    Are you off camping with JeanieG? Have FUN!!
    When you get home, get the PUPpy out, and show us some pics ... and we'll be there to cheer you on to the finish line!!!

JenniKy ... good recruitment job!!

Muv
    Are we going to have to start a leeks thread in the recipes section? Leek and Stilton flan anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Muv View Post
    Are we going to have to start a leeks thread in the recipes section? Leek and Stilton flan anyone?
    Maybe so!!!
    You do have my interest piqued with the Leek and Stilton combo as a Flan!!!!!!

mmmmmmm!!!!
    OMG that recipe must be to die for!!
    (and totally calorie free, right!! )

Works4me...I posted the recipe on the leeks links thread that Murv started. Many more there to try.

QuiltE...leeks are easy to grow.

QuiltE.....Yes, this is a Carpenter's Wheel 'remix' so to speak. I found a mottled red for a skinny border and a bright blue with white stars for a wider border; will back with a patriotic print (I had a couple of yards and luckily found 3 more yards on sale last week); then bind with either red or the patriotic print.......have to wait to see how it all fits. In the meantime, I have another project that has taken precendence. I promised my son a quilt for his Alzheimer's Fundraising Golf Tournament Raffle scheduled for mid-June. I am just now piecing it so, again....stay tuned!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Anna Your quilts are just WOW... very awesome. Did the Marine Corps one have a pattern name and where abouts to find.. I really like the design.
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yayaquilts View Post
    I happened upon this thread just the other day, thanks to Jen-jenniky(?)--thanks Jen. Love the patriotic fabrics you are using for the mystery quilt and for this one!!

Anyway I've been trying to catch up on what everyone's been chatting about--seems like a really fun and encouraging group!! I've got a patriotic quilt that i have been working on for quite awhile and this group may provide just the encouragement I need to finally finish it!! (I'd post a couple pics, but they are on our home computer and I'm away from home now, traveling to northern California to Fort Bragg to camp with our BFF's).

Love all the pictures of the patriotic quilts everyone has or is making!!
    Woot Karen good to see you join us. I will look forward to seeing your patriotic quilt in progress when you return from your trip.

Leeks- Tried the mashed potatoes and Leeks...they were very yummy.. Thanks MUV.. the quiche posted by Annaquilts looks yummy.. I believe DH and I will try that next. And I didnt miss the ...Leeks are easy to grow.. Im going to get some seedlings from the farmers market.

Have a wonderful day.
    Have an awesome day!

Quote Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
    QuiltE...leeks are easy to grow.

There's just one little problem .... I have no where to grow them, other than in the flower beds. That is, unless I put a garden in my front lawn ... and that ain't gonna happen!!

Granted ... don't leeks grow wild in the bush? hhmmmmm?? Maybe I should introduce some, just as I have the trilliums .....
    Name:  Yard5.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  1.46 MB
    Trilliums are our provincial flower and are in full bloom right now. There were none in my bush when I came here nine years ago (gosh, has it "really" been THAT long? ... now I'm feeling old!). So because there were none, I moved some from a friend's bush ... illegal to pick, though perfectly OK to transplant! Just took this pick today.

Yes, it is from a free pattern online. let me see if I can find it.

Ahh here you go-

http://www.qovf.org//ufiles/files_ph...IN%20QUILT.pdf

The army one and the marines one are essentially the same only the matrines one does not have the border and is smaller.
    The center is a pillow panel from Walmart. If you need a marines one let me know we can trade for a
    FQ or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    Anna Your quilts are just WOW... very awesome. Did the Marine Corps one have a pattern name and where abouts to find.. I really like the design.
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 05-17-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

There's just one little problem .... I have no where to grow them, other than in the flower beds. That is, unless I put a garden in my front lawn ... and that ain't gonna happen!!

Granted ... don't leeks grow wild in the bush? hhmmmmm?? Maybe I should introduce some, just as I have the trilliums .....
    Name:  Yard5.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  1.46 MB
    Trilliums are our provincial flower and are in full bloom right now. There were none in my bush when I came here nine years ago (gosh, has it "really" been THAT long? ... now I'm feeling old!). So because there were none, I moved some from a friend's bush ... illegal to pick, though perfectly OK to transplant! Just took this pick today.
    Oh it's a lovely flower!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Muv
    QuiltE - not inspired to do a trilliums quilt? A mini wall hanging? They are so pretty the way they glow out of the shade.

Anna - love your quilts, especially the one with all the curved seams! The shades of blue and red are really lovely. Also,
    thanks for adding the leek recipe. I will have to try it. My husband is a great one for savoury flans - he makes the pastry case and I do the filling.

Jenniky - thrilled that you have been converted to leeks. They are so versatile, keep for ever in the freezer, and most important, are TASTY!

Just think, if the Welsh didn't have the leek for their symbol a family in Indiana might never have tasted them. Just look where the Patriotic Challenge leads!

I'm well on the way now with the shamrock. After doing the wall hanging top I needed something quicker and easier, so the leek and the shamrock fitted the bill.

Speaking of Wales, we can see Wales from our upstairs windows on a clear day, and I'm going on a quick visit today to see some friends there... The shamrock will have to wait...

Muv ... Oh I'm inspired for trilliums, but haven't yet found a pattern to pull me into it yet! Nor has the creativity struck for me to figure it out myself. I've been contemplating for sometime, and yesterday's picture will be egging me on, I'm sure! Have a lovely day in Wales! Dropping in for a spot of tea with THE Wales'?

Hi just wanted to let you know that I would like to get in on the challenge. Dont know what I am going to do but will do something small.
    Debquilts2

beautiful quilt

Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast