Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts >

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Old 10-24-2018, 10:08 AM

Thanks OK! It took me a long time to find what I really like. Now hopefully when it gets here it's like in the picture.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:05 PM

Oh oh!! I just ordered 18 half yards of fabric ....... I think I will have enough for a while when this shipment arrives! Hopefully end of next week as it's shipped from the USA
Old 10-24-2018, 12:49 PM

I like it, Anael...
Old 10-24-2018, 01:04 PM

I like that fabric too and think it's going to be great with that pattern.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:59 AM

Thank you ladies!!

I worked on BD today. The second part of the first border is on now. I'm starting to like it I still think the bright green is out of place. Maybe using it a bit more? Or replace?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603019[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails second-part-first-border-.jpg  
Old 10-25-2018, 04:26 AM

I don't think that green looks that bad, but that could be how the color displays on my monitor. It's its real bright and everything is a bit muted, I'd probably take it out. It would be simple to replace it without having to remake teh whole block, but it's also small enough it might be faster to remake the block than rip it out.

I sort of go by "if I feel I need to ask if I should rip something out, then I probably do, and am only asking because I don't want to" It won't get any easier to remove as you get farther into assembling the quilt.

I've got the last of the 12" blocks complete. I think I'm going to switch and make the filler blocks. I need 31 3.5" pinwheels and 34 3.5" squares. I want to get them done while I've still got a larger selection of fabric and can get a lot more variety.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:42 AM

Anael, I find it interesting that you decided to swap out the diagonal pieced blocks for solid corners for your center - because those diagonal pieced blocks were what got me interested in doing this pattern to start with!

I planned on piecing the larger diamonds in the star blocks so each block is a bit different. The picture of the quilt shows a few blocks that have them pieced, but the directions don't call for doing that for any of them.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:20 AM

I know what you mean with those diagonal pieced blocks. I like them too but didn't use them. Maybe in the final borders but it won't be the same as the center diagonal blocks.

Which diamonds do you mean? In the Bakers Dozen?

I love your new blocks!! All pieced? All those pinwheels....and squares......and so tiny......and so boooooooooooring....... Sorry

I started using more bright green in the quilt, small pieces. And I still might decide to replace the large bright green pieces. Still easy to do - I hope!
Old 10-25-2018, 06:48 AM

I still have the 9" and 6" blocks to complete, but the large 12" ones are done.

For the BD - if you look on the inside back cover, the picture shows a closeup of the center four blocks, and if you look at the lower and top most ones (picture is on the diagonal) , every other diamond of the star is actually a four patch diamond, not a solid diamond.

I've noticed this happening with some other JK designs. I think she makes up the quilt as she goes, and then creates the pattern off it later and some things get simplified in the process.

I want to do my BD in a sort of "colored circles" look. Like start with light to mid yellows the for four inner corner blocks, then maybe orange/reds for the star points, and the yellow/green for the outer sides. Then a green border and using green/yellow/orange/red in the next rounds, keeping the green towards the inner side blending to red on the outer. Next round would be red/purple/blue with the last round moving from blue back to red/orange.

it would be a bit to keep track of, but would allow me to really play with my stash!
Old 10-25-2018, 07:03 AM

I have never looked at her patterns this way, never studied them like you do.
I've seen those 4 patches but thought it's the fabric.
Your plan sounds great, like a trip around the world but a bit different
I could have planned mine better but now it's totally scrappy and I'm beginning to like it.
I never do totally scrappy, there's always a plan. Not this time though.....
way out of my comfort zone and not really getting used to that.