Newbies challenge

Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 AM

You have all the desired elements for a quilt-a-holic.#Or fabricolic.
I am already a buddy But for amusement go to my firends site for a good laugh. Most of the ladies are beginners from 1 week to began last october. Put in search Angie quilts. and press go. it is a blog site.
Originally Posted by kjunbaker
This adoption thing sounds great. I had a very good friend that started helping me learn to quilt, but sadly she is no longer with us. I put quilting aside for far too many years and have just decided to pick it back up. I am truly a beginner, lost in a mass of fabric, pins, and ?????'s. HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 AM

You have all the desired elements for a quilt-a-holic.#Or fabricolic.
I am already a buddy But for amusement go to my firends site for a good laugh. Most of the ladies are beginners from 1 week to began last october. Put in search Angie quilts. and press go. it is a blog site.
Originally Posted by kjunbaker
This adoption thing sounds great. I had a very good friend that started helping me learn to quilt, but sadly she is no longer with us. I put quilting aside for far too many years and have just decided to pick it back up. I am truly a beginner, lost in a mass of fabric, pins, and ?????'s. HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 PM

SewCrafty, would you adopt me? I'm a Newbie 2! I'm trying to teach myself how to applique. I want to learn how to do a lot more things! I just want to stick with the easy things first. I do not understand the lingo on this site, yet.....Like what is FMQ & other ones???

CherokeeGal-Brenda
Old 08-12-2010, 07:11 PM

FMQ Free Motion Quilting,FQ Fat Quarters,SITD Stitch in the Ditch I didn't understand some of these either so I had to ask the other day.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by quazyquilter
I would like to challenge all the "veteran" quilters on this board to find a "newbie" and adopt one. I have taken one under my wing, so to speak and I am teaching her to quilt via this board, e-mail and the phone.
There are some "newbies" out there that would probably welcome our help and guidance and have lots of questions that maybe they are too shy to ask, or they may not know how to ask about certain things, for fear that they will be considered "dumb questions".
So, QUILTERS,UNITE!!!

p.s. don't take butterjoy, she's mine! :lol: :D :roll:
Hello quazyquilter, Great Idea! I am very much up for adoption!!!! Please! Please! Pick me! Pick me! :mrgreen: :-D I need you! :cry: :cry: Thank you! :thumbup: :D :lol: :lol: Ms. Shawn :XD:
Old 08-13-2010, 04:39 PM

I am up for adoption. I never FM. The 1/4 inch thing messes me up so my squares come up wrong sometimes. I would love to create quilts to give as gifts.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter Day-by-Day
FMQ Free Motion Quilting,FQ Fat Quarters,SITD Stitch in the Ditch I didn't understand some of these either so I had to ask the other day.
OK, so we know what the letters stand for. it is the definition/technique that gets me ahead of myself and into trouble here! LOL (Lots of laughter --belly wrenching type!!)
Old 08-14-2010, 06:13 PM

The 1/4 inch can really throw me depending on the machine I use and its feet and needle position. Love the Bernina 1/4" foot; painters blue tape and a sliding hem gauge to find and keep the 1/4" seam; Lord preserve me from accidentally forgetting and resetting the needle position my 1/4 suddenly becomes 3/8 and we have a very interesting time!!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:29 AM

I'm up for Adoption.
42 year old, country girl,very enthusiastic, lots to learn.

OK maybe I sound a little desperate LOL, but I've been quilting about 2 years and stick mostly to the basics. I want to expand my skills.

I want to learn applique', I have done 1 thing by machine applique' with fusible web, I liked it alot, but I'm sure there are lots of things I could learn if I had someone to teach me other than myself. Which again myself only knows the basics, and besides teaching myself is no fun, I really don't know if I'm doing it right or not, but it looks okay...I guess LOL.

I would also like to learn paper piecing and any tips and tricks to make things easier. Anything and everything.

So let me know
Old 08-15-2010, 07:19 AM

I am not sure if I am a newbie or middle of the road have made a few card trick quilts and finished them. but I really need help with picking quilting designs for the 8 tops I have pieced and FM cause of thread build up on back of quilt, have a million questions and don't know where to start, also have tops that I would like to copy that I can't find patterns for.