Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabondindigo View Post
    The original glue pen I got was sewline. Where do you get the refills in bulk? I tend to wait for sales ont he fons and porter items, as they seem to have taken over my local shops. As you may know, thats few and far between.

Do the wonder under dots allow sewing movement - like any fusible if its a heavy duty one they dont move, but light weight ones allow a bit of movement. I find, like any basting and quilting, the 2 keys seem to be - when you baste make sure its all as flat as it gets, and when quilting use the right pressure foot, usually my walker. If freehand, use the freehand foot. If I follow those rules I have very little issue with shifting or puckering.

And, since nothing in life is perfect - with the wonder under dots, if you keep them smaller than an inch, (i tend to go for about 1/2 to 3/4 an inch max) then you can do a quick reposition as needed, even under the machine.
    I tried to find the site for the glue sticks and, of course, can't remember. I guess 'bulk' was the wrong wording. I bought a dozen for about $10 which was a good price. I hope I can find the site again and, when I do, will post the link.

And thanks for the insight of the wonder under dots. As for hole punchers, I'll bet the scrapbooking area of a craft store would have some sort of punch that size.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I am so excited! I finished my small Halloween quilt and couldn't hardly wait to send you guys my picture. I love it and never thought I'd find a way to use these blocks. Here it is:

Name:  Halloween wall hanging completed 001.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  1.04 MBName:  Halloween wall hanging completed 002.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  929.5 KB

This picture does not do it justice, I love, love, love it! Thanks for all your help. Now I am going to do more sandwiches today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is Good!

Visit my blog, closed the website:

http://charlottescreationsanew.blogspot.com/

Sorry for posting that early picture at the end, did not know how to stop it. Also please disregard that date, I have not changed it in the camera.
    Life is Good!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charlottemarie View Post
    I am so excited! I finished my small Halloween quilt and couldn't hardly wait to send you guys my picture. I love it and never thought I'd find a way to use these blocks. Here it is:

This picture does not do it justice, I love, love, love it! Thanks for all your help. Now I am going to do more sandwiches today.
    Looks great !! You did a very good job. So, are you hook on QAYG yet?
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G

Blog Entries
    Charlotte, your quilt turned out so cute! Wow, you were a busy girl this weekend, weren't you? Great job!
    Ronda

Charlotte...it appears that you are a very quick learner. Beautiful job!

Quote Originally Posted by charlottemarie View Post

OH Charlotte! It is just too cute. I'm not "into" Halloween but this is just darlin'!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Thanks for your kind words! Yes I am totally hooked on QAYG. My hands are taking a holiday today though. The fingers got stuck so much I can hardly use them today! Today will be a quilt sandwich day for me. I love this technique, it is not what I thought I was going to do to finish a quilt. I used glue and pins on that binding. I was a very busy girl all weekend.
    Life is Good!

Charlotte, congrats on saving your squares in such a wonderful way!!! Great job!!

I wanted to say that I always use safety pins to baste my quilts as I poke myself with straight pins and get blood on the fabric... ick! I have used glue sticks for other things and it works fine for me. I haven't had any kind of problems with it.

For sewing on my bindings, I don't use anything. No pins, glue, clips, etc. I just sew it as I go along and I never have a problem with it. My edges are trimmed and stitched first, so it's just a matter of aligning binding raw edges with quilt raw edges and sewing the 1/4" seam. I wonder what I don't know that causes others to have to pin and glue and have so much problem with sewing on bindings. Is mine a case of ignorance is bliss? LOL

I am pondering this QAYG situation. I have always used fleece for quilt backings and had planned to also for the QAYG. Now I am wondering how it would look having cotton for the joinings and the rest of the back fleece. I am pretty sure it would be a nightmare trying to use fleece for the joinings on the back. LOL
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I just happened upon this thread today. It is very well written and the pictures are helpful for me, as I am very visual. I have a UFO of 12 maple leaf blocks that I would love to get finished. I do both hand quilting and by machine. I love the polished look of machine quilting and am looking forward to playing at that.

I will attempt to put a picture or two. It has been a long while since I have sent a picture. Hope they come through.

One picture is the actual blocks laying next to each other, and the other is an image from my Electric Quilt Program.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boston - I love the Maple Blocks!! You plan is gonna be lovely! I can't wait ta see the finished quiilt!
    Bev

Thanks so much. There are a lot of people interested in this particular subject. And isn't it wonderful that we live in an age where we can actually show each other what we are working on?

Blog Entries
    Boston, your maple leaf blocks are very pretty! I have some of those same fabrics. Can't wait to see how they progress...
    Ronda

Linda, I just have a knack for making things difficult for myself. I am an overdoer.
    Life is Good!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
    And, since nothing in life is perfect - with the wonder under dots, if you keep them smaller than an inch, (i tend to go for about 1/2 to 3/4 an inch max) then you can do a quick reposition as needed, even under the machine.

I wonder if they have a hole punch in 1/2" or 3/4" size. Maybe we should look into that!!!
    In the video that I saw of Nancy Zieman, she used her Clover mini iron. She touched the tip of the iron to the strip of wonder under that she had against the quilt, and then tore off a little piece, while keeping pressure on the iron. She commented that the hardest part was getting the paper off those tiny pieces.
    Sue

I saw a post referring to a June block being completed. Are there block patterns for this and if so where does one find them?

Charlotte...your Halloween quilt is adorable! Great job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sew diva View Post
    I saw a post referring to a June block being completed. Are there block patterns for this and if so where does one find them?
    Sew Diva are you inquiring about the Block of the Month Program here on QB? It is under Block of the Week/Month on the main forum. This year we are doing a Calendar BOM. Last year we did Stars.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
    Charlotte, congrats on saving your squares in such a wonderful way!!! Great job!!

I wanted to say that I always use safety pins to baste my quilts as I poke myself with straight pins and get blood on the fabric... ick! I have used glue sticks for other things and it works fine for me. I haven't had any kind of problems with it.

For sewing on my bindings, I don't use anything. No pins, glue, clips, etc. I just sew it as I go along and I never have a problem with it. My edges are trimmed and stitched first, so it's just a matter of aligning binding raw edges with quilt raw edges and sewing the 1/4" seam. I wonder what I don't know that causes others to have to pin and glue and have so much problem with sewing on bindings. Is mine a case of ignorance is bliss? LOL

I am pondering this QAYG situation. I have always used fleece for quilt backings and had planned to also for the QAYG. Now I am wondering how it would look having cotton for the joinings and the rest of the back fleece. I am pretty sure it would be a nightmare trying to use fleece for the joinings on the back. LOL
    When I first started quilting, I also pinned my binding to the quilt after trimming the batting/backing. But, now, I don't bother because I ALWAYS get poked from pins, sometimes bad enough to have to stop and wait for the bleeding to stop. I find that using the walking foot helps.

As for the fleece, why not make a test piece using the fleece and see if you like it.
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G

Blog Entries
    I just discovered this thread this morning and have spent the whole day reading the posts. I have always wanted to learn QAYG, so would like to play catch up, if that's okay?
    As a side note on the glue basting, I have a high end sewing machine and have always used the Elmer's purple glue stick on basting my pieces together and also doing paper piecing before stitching, applique, and doing the clothesline wraping for making bowls, purses, vases, etc. for the past 4 yrs without any harm to my machine.....as previously noted, there is a little buildup on the needle which comes off easily with your finger. Jinnie
    Jinnie

Blog Entries
    Sorry ladies I have not checked in today. I have been focused on making the tutorial for the adding on the outer sashing. As the next technique we are covering. I lost two hours on fussing with my machine. For some reason it did not want to behave when I changed out the thread. It was the same thread and bobbin I was using before with no trouble. Ran all the various checks. Took it apart and gave it a through cleaning. Then I gave it a good talking to before I tested it again. It ran smoothly...LOL . I Guess I told it.. Haha!

I will take a break in a couple of hours and get read up on all the posts. Im seeing a very special Halloween Quilt that is Just Awesome.. Hmm How great is that. WTG CharlotteMarie. I see some other pretties also..will have to take the time and give all a proper response. So I dont feel rushed I am going to push back posting the Tutorial on Friday. I want to make sure its ONLY THE BEST for you ladies. TTYL
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Jenniky--Thanks for taking such good care of us!
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Jenniky, no rush! You do a great job and it will be something to look forward to.
    Ronda

Jenniky - We will wait patiently, we promise. Take your time 'cause your doin' an awesome job!
    Bev

Jenniky, thanks for this thread. I am now officially a quilter and not just a piecer~! I have about 60 more blocks to work on so never fear we have plenty of work ahead, I will look forward to the Friday post. Thanks again to all of you for your kind words on my halloween quilt. Hugs to all!
    Life is Good!

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast