Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Hooray for Charlotte!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I've seen this thread mentioned a couple times, so thought I better check it out.

I finish most of my quilts using a QAYG method (usually similar to how Kay Wood's teaches it on the 6 Hr Quilt). I have a quilt started using the method taught so far.

These are 24" blocks--four in the center of the quilt and then four borders will finish it off. I used a decorative stitch (feathered) for my SITD and also top stitched on both sides of the "sashing" for a finished look. So far I have all the blocks quilted and two sashed together...

Thought I had a picture of a quilted block but can't find it now...this is the next UFO on my list so just in time to finish quilting and start borders with you all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carriem...love your quilt...my colors!

Jenniky, will wait patiently for Friday...gives me a chance to cut out some donation quilt pieces out of scraps building up.

I finished my center piece today...love how it's turning out! And everything lines up just about perfectly...surprise!

Blog Entries
    Have finally read all the posts. Have been following you since the beginning, but traveling without Lucy (my machine). So now home and ready to finish the D9P that I started. However, just spent 5 hours at the ER with my Mom. The good news is that nothing is broken, the bad news is that if she isn't more mobile, she doesn't qualify to stay at the memory unit. Life...

The D9P is turning out great. In fact, I got more fabric for another one as soon as this one is done. So Jen, I'm on track.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

Vicki - that quilt is turning out beautiful. You did a great job with the quilting and sashing strips.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Carrie & Vicky-How industrious both 'o ya'll have been. Great QAYG projects!
    Bev

;::::::::::wavin from Nova Scotia:::::: I just found this thread, can I play too???? Gonna take me awhile to read through everything and catch up Fellow Canuck...Wendy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VickiM View Post
    Carriem...love your quilt...my colors!

Jenniky, will wait patiently for Friday...gives me a chance to cut out some donation quilt pieces out of scraps building up.

I finished my center piece today...love how it's turning out! And everything lines up just about perfectly...surprise!
    Love this quilt !! Great layout using the white blocks to showcase your quilting skills. I might have to start using more white squares now after seeing this quilt. Oh, and your connecting strips look pretty perfect to me.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    Name:  July - August 2012 105.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  814.3 KBFinally got a picture of the transportation D9P that I am working on. I found enough fabric that not one of the fabrics are repeated. Found the last 2 fabrics in a wonderful little shop in Ashland, Wisconsin. I am using the fusible batting and just some echoing. I need a lot of practice with the FMQ, yes now would be the time to practice.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

Carrie...I LOVE your quilt. It looks so rich!
    VickiM...such a neat layout and the back could be used for a front.
    Everose...you transportation D9P is a great idea. How long did you look for all of the different fabrics?

So glad that so many people are joining this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing more projects! I'll have pictures soon.

Blog Entries
    Gardnergal, I think I only had to purchase 4 of these fabrics. While traveling the last weeks, DH made sure I got to some fabric stores and I knew just what I was looking for. I did fabric notecards before so lots of my cards have the cars, motorcycles and such on them. Was and is fun to work on.

Blog Entries
    It does not take long to get behind on reading on this thread. Welcome to everyone who is new and you have plenty of time to play catch up because there is not a deadline. So work at your own pace. Life happens as I have found the past couple of days. My back pain has escalated and has slowed me down considerably. No worries, Im fine and just have to move slower ya know. Im still on track for Friday and even if I move at a snails pace.. so its all good. I hope that everyone's questions are getting answered as everyone has more pooled knowledge than I ever will. You can always PM me if its a stopper and you need an answer to move on. Tomorrow I will be an absentee from the board as I work to finish up the tutorial and the binding on my Quilt. Then I will hold off for a week before starting up the next project and technique. Or at least that is my current plan. Keep on sharing and posting pictures, I will catch up.
    Have an awesome day!

I'll pray for your back again!! I'm so sorry that ya are hurtin'.{Huggs}
    Bev

Everose - That transportation quilt is way too cute.
    Bev

Blog Entries
    Pinmores, is the name of the product you place on the end of your pins, absolutely fantastic no more pricking and scratching not to mention drawing blood. I got mine from Leah Day

You did a great job on your quilt! It is beautiful, love the sewing machine VickiM.
    Life is Good!

Visit my blog, closed the website:

http://charlottescreationsanew.blogspot.com/

Carrie love those colors!

Everose, that is really neat!
    Life is Good!

Visit my blog, closed the website:

http://charlottescreationsanew.blogspot.com/

The new posts are so great. Love all the quilts/squares. I have to say tho, that the fabrics in carriem's set me right to drooling down my front. LOL
    Those are some beautiful fabrics and no matter what you make with them, it has to be gorgeous. I would be thrilled to have your scraps just to be able to look at them and pet them. Smiles and hugssss
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

LOL Linda Glad you like my fabrics. Not sure how many scraps I am going to have. I am doing pieced borders to get the most out of the fabric. These were one of those I bought a little of each when I saw them with no pattern in mind (because I too REALLY liked them!) and now I am a little short, so stretching as much as I can!

I have enjoyed seeing everyone's blocks/quilts. Seeing the quilting "by the block" encourages me to try something new. I usually quilt by the row instead of by the block. I haven't done much FM, mostly just SITD, x's through blocks or cross hatching.

Quote Originally Posted by Everose View Post
    Name:  July - August 2012 105.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  814.3 KBFinally got a picture of the transportation D9P that I am working on. I found enough fabric that not one of the fabrics are repeated. Found the last 2 fabrics in a wonderful little shop in Ashland, Wisconsin. I am using the fusible batting and just some echoing. I need a lot of practice with the FMQ, yes now would be the time to practice.
    I love it! Most of the time when I see a D9P, I can't really see a pattern, but with this one--I love it! It's great! By using all different transportation fabrics, it makes a fascinating quilt. I love your idea...will have to try it.

Well, I have my blocks prepared. I considered what kind of quilting I want to do while I was cutting batting and backing pieces on Monday. Our little group meets on Tuesdays at the church and I got them all ready with the lines drawn on parchment paper and pinned them up.

Now I need some help from you. I had ALMOST picked a medium brown as the thread to use, but there is one block that has brown fabric and it would not show up so well. Do you think I should try for a look of a different thread for each block, or maybe go for a medium cream colored thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    Well, I have my blocks prepared. I considered what kind of quilting I want to do while I was cutting batting and backing pieces on Monday. Our little group meets on Tuesdays at the church and I got them all ready with the lines drawn on parchment paper and pinned them up.

Now I need some help from you. I had ALMOST picked a medium brown as the thread to use, but there is one block that has brown fabric and it would not show up so well. Do you think I should try for a look of a different thread for each block, or maybe go for a medium cream colored thread?
    I love the design you're using for your blocks. I see you have traced the design onto parchment paper and pinned to the blocks. My question is how you will transfer this to your block...will you use a FMQ foot? I've never done this before and am very interested in learning how to do this.
    Lynn

I have only tried free motion once, and it would take a load of practice to get it to look good, so what I plan to do it just use the regular foot and slowly turn the block as I sew. I have done this before for a placemat exchance and they came out great! The little blocks are about 9 1/2 inches and even with the backing a bit larger, they will fit into the throat of the machine very easily. Thanks for asking.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Anne, you asked about thread color for your brown block... cream sounds like it would blend nicely. Are you using different color threads on your other blocks? Also, you mentioned you were going to use your regular foot for sewing instead of FMQ foot. Does that mean you are leaving your pattern paper on and stitching over the top of it? How will you keep the paper in place while you are sewing?

FMQ can be very intimidating. Most instructors will tell you that once you get everything ready and start to 'remember to breathe'. I thought that was funny but it is oh, so true. It mostly takes practise, practise, practise... I have not mastered it but I am more able to breathe now when I am FMQing. LOL

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Yes, I will be stitching directly through the paper and taking it off after. I have re-thought the idea of a different color of thread for each one. That would be a lot of re-threading the machine. When I pinned the blocks I just put the paper on at the same time and everything is held together.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast