Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge >

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Old 07-31-2012, 06:41 PM

Patricia, I love your orphans, can I adopt some? LOL Jen, I am in, and I'll catch up to you guys by Sunday.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:55 PM

Think I'll join...will watch awhile first, between vacations. This should be interesting...thanks for doing this. The QAYG method I usually use is the Fun & Done method...but I've also adapted it for different blocks I've had. Will have to check out my orphan blocks so they can be adopted!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:33 PM

I personally use pins for a quick basting. One of my favorite things abut QAYG is that I can get to the quilting part really fast, so the pins dont stay long at all. I also tend to quilt each block or section as I make them, rather than making a bunch and doing them at the same time.

If its a larger piece for basting I will use 'dots' of wonder under on both sides of the batting. Just along the edge, so I dont get too much shifting as I go. place the dots and set with a very hot iron. They are small enough (max 1 inch diameter) to place anywhere and not cause bulk or stiffness, and small enough that they dont create a perminant bond, so there is room to adjust as needed.

For small projects, like 4 inch blocks, I dont usually baste at all, just quilt away then cut it down to the size I need.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:41 AM

Liz92B - I totally understand about being heavy handed. I tend to be that way also. Sew . I take extra time to focus on accomplishing the opposite by being light handed. This has helped me to un-train my heavy handed ways. This also holds true for me and the iron. I still sometimes have a tendency to start off pressing hard with the iron and using a back and forth motion on my squares in the same manner I used to try to iron all the wrinkles and put in military creases on my uniform while I was in the Navy.

So I have to take the extra mental moment to work on retraining my movements on picking up and setting the iron down in a light pressing motion so I don't disfigure the fabric I'm working with.

QuiltE - Yes the spray basting can pictured is June Tailors'. Not a spray I recommend personaly but need to finish off the can before I buy a different brand to try. Im planning on trying the 505 Spray next because I have heard some good things about it.

Ronda - The long running stitch is also a good method of basting.
The only thing I would change is to not run it along the borders. I will cover what I have learned about this more later on.

Charlottemarie - Welcome Aboard I look forward to seeing your project.

VickiM - Im checking into the Fun & Done Method
to see if it is like any of the methods I have encountered. Look forward to seeing a picture of your adopted blocks.

Vagabondindigo - Welcome Aboard Looking forward to you sharing your QAYG UFO with us. I had trouble viewing your completed quilt link. Thanks you for sharing all the great info and experience you have had with basting. Im going to check into those "Wonder Dots" I have never heard of them.

Last edited by Jenniky; 08-01-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:21 AM

I'm in too.
I was planning to try QAYG for my next project so this is perfect for me!
Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by chatonne40 View Post
I'm in too.
I was planning to try QAYG for my next project so this is perfect for me!
Thanks
Welcome Chatonne another Canuck to join the group QuiltE will be most pleased.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:13 AM

I have a can of 505 that I use with appliqué on my embroidery machine, works like a charm - will have to try it with quilt basting!! Wal-Mart has it cheap: http://www.walmart.com/ip/J.T.-Tradi...unces/12461363
Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 AM

I think I will use these blocks for my challenge. They are leftovers from a couple of swaps and all are 6 1/2" unfinished blocks so I can practice on smaller sizes to see if I like doing this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352919[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails orphan-blocks.jpg   orphan-blocks-002.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 AM

Please include me! I have several blocks that I would like to make table runners with plus many orphan blocks that are just sitting waiting to be put into a quilt. I will have to learn how to put pictures here. This will be a complete learning experience for me. I am really looking forward to finally finishing some quilts using this method.
Phyllis
Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Patricia Faye View Post
Jen, I'm going to join in so I can learn the QAYG techniques. I have lots of paper pieced blocks (in different sizes) from block swaps that I want to put into a quilt & I have the State Star blocks to put together. I think I'll practice on the swaps first then after I feel comfortable will work on the State Stars.

Here are some of the blocks. I think I have enough to select from and enough in the same sizes to practice on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352781[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352783[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]352784[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352785[/ATTACH]

Jen, thank you for taking the time to put this tutorial together.
Hey, Patricia, I see my blue watering can in the top group! Cool.

Jen, I am interested in following your tutorial. Maybe I will get out my Sunbonnet Sues and finish that for my granddaughter! I will have to play catch up though.

Thanks for posting it.

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 08-01-2012 at 08:00 AM.