Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge >

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 AM

Default available blocks

I have several blocks to choose from...some are from various Mysteries that were never completed for one reason or another, and some were just because.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]352925[/ATTACH] . [ATTACH=CONFIG]352926[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]352927[/ATTACH] . [ATTACH=CONFIG]352928[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails z_3inchblocks.jpg   z_irishbraid.jpg   z_mystery_gone.jpg   z_guildmystery.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
Sandwiching the the squares is the term that means temporarily securing the top square, batting, and backing by basting. There are several ways to baste your blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352771[/ATTACH]

Here is a picture of several squares I have sandwiched and ready for quilting. I used a spray baste.

Spray bastes should be used in a well ventilated area. If you are in a small enclosed sewing room you might consider spraying your fabrics outside or in the garage. Do not use spray bastes around small children for they may inadvertently inhale the spray adhesive. I sew in a very large living area with several ceiling fans going and the windows opened. So you will see my pictures are taken inside.

I spread out a large piece of fabric I have set aside for just this purpose. You can use and old sheet also. When I am done with all my spray basting I can then wash and dry the fabric or sheet and put it away for the next use. The over spray washes out easily.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352780[/ATTACH]

Hold the can 8 to 10 inches from the fabric and spray lightly. You do not want a heavy spray this could cause problems and gunk up you needle and machine when you are ready to sew. After you spray the fabric touch it to make sure that is is slightly tacky.

From this point you can do several different steps in different ways.

This is how I did it. I then carefully centered my top square onto the batting adhesive side down. Make sure not to over stretch the fabric on the batting, this could cause puckering or bunching later. Smooth the fabric over the batting gently. If the batting goes down wonky or has a crease you can simply and carefully pull the fabric back off the batting and re position it as you need to achieve a smooth centered top piece on your batting. I then apply a warm iron to heat set the adhesive.
Be gentle and lite with the iron. Pick up and set the iron down on the fabric instead of using a back and forth motion. Then I spray the backing in the same manner as the front and apply in the same manner. I now have a quilt square sandwich ready to machine or hand quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352786[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352788[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352789[/ATTACH]

Would anyone else like to chime in and share with us the other methods of sandwiching or basting the three layers together????

I will stop here for tonight and tomorrow will share another step that can be very helpful after sandwiching and before quilting... Can anyone guess what that will be???

Have a wonderful evening Ladies... Oh and In the spirit of the olympics and an inspiration to start in. Im giving a honorary virtual gold, silver, and bronze medals to the first three who post their orphaned blocks sandwiched and ready for the next step. I wonder will it be USA or Canucks or one of our other international friends.
I just wanted to say that I have that same iron and love it !! Nice and heavy yet lots of quilty features.

I already to QAYG but plan to join in to see what other methods you know that I may not (and perhaps vice versa). I just can't afford to send my quilts to a longarmer and it's just too hard for me to quilt a big top on my domestic machine.

I've already learned a tip from you - this ironing tip once sandwiched. I usually press the block and backing first then once I sandwich each side, I just spread out with my hands. I guess I didn't realize a little heat will set the adhesive.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 AM

I actually have a Christmas project that has been at the "quilted blocks" stage for a couple of years. I keep forgetting it's sitting in a different closet. Maybe I'll dig that out and get that finished for a gift this year. I used another set of blocks (again never finished) as the backing (don't even remember the design) to create a Christmas / non-Christmas type of quilt....all you have to do is turn it over for a different quilt.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 AM

Count me in. I have never done any QAYG
Fran from Saskatchewan
Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 AM

QuitE, what is the count US vs. Canucks?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 AM

Liz92B - Thanks for posting a link for the 505 Spray. Also pictured are the Sulky2000 spray and the June Tailor brand. Your Irish Braid block looks ideal for the Medallion QAYG which I will be starting to post once we finish with discussions on this first QAYG method. The 3 inch PP blocks would be ideal for this first project as we all get our feet wet.

Ronda - Love your blocks, Great Selection.

Sunrise450 - Phyllis Welcome Aboard. Will look forward to seeing which blocks you select for your first project.

SewExtremeSeams - Welcome Aboard. You and your Sunbonnet Sues squares will have lots of fun with us. And Im sure your GD will be excited to receive the quilt.

Vickig626 - I'm glad you are joining us. I will be covering a quilt project in the future that is a QAYG reversible quilt. I invite you to share what you are working on with us also . So we all may learn from you also. If you already have done a tutorial on it, please provide us with the link. Learning from each other is always the best way to go in my book.

Fran Foss - Welcome on board. Looking forward to seeing your project blocks.

If anyone has used the Sulky 2000 adhesive spray. I would love to hear some reviews on it.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 AM

Jenniky - would it be feasible to edit/update post #1 with the actual tutorial posts, e.g.
. . . . msg#32 - sandwiching your blocks
. . . . msg#xx - next tutorial
so that they are easier to find when my house cools down!!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 AM

I am blogging each tutorial entry. Check in my signature for a link to the blog you can subscribe to that if you wish and find only my tutorial posts. Also once I have finished one project I will be making a complete Tutorial and post it into the Tutorial Section of the Quilting Board. I hope this is helpful for you.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 AM

sweeeeeeet!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 AM

I think I will join this group. I have lots of swap blocks that need to be made into a quilt. I have tried Sullivan's quilting basting spray. I have not had a problem with it.