Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge >

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 PM

Jen, I'm going to join in so I can learn the QAYG techniques. I have lots of paper pieced blocks (in different sizes) from block swaps that I want to put into a quilt & I have the State Star blocks to put together. I think I'll practice on the swaps first then after I feel comfortable will work on the State Stars.

Here are some of the blocks. I think I have enough to select from and enough in the same sizes to practice on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352781[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352783[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]352784[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352785[/ATTACH]

Jen, thank you for taking the time to put this tutorial together.
Attached Thumbnails dsc00857.jpg   dsc00947.jpg   dsc00948.jpg   dsc00960.jpg  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:22 PM

Sandwiching the the squares is the term that means temporarily securing the top square, batting, and backing by basting. There are several ways to baste your blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352771[/ATTACH]

Here is a picture of several squares I have sandwiched and ready for quilting. I used a spray baste.

Spray bastes should be used in a well ventilated area. If you are in a small enclosed sewing room you might consider spraying your fabrics outside or in the garage. Do not use spray bastes around small children for they may inadvertently inhale the spray adhesive. I sew in a very large living area with several ceiling fans going and the windows opened. So you will see my pictures are taken inside.

I spread out a large piece of fabric I have set aside for just this purpose. You can use and old sheet also. When I am done with all my spray basting I can then wash and dry the fabric or sheet and put it away for the next use. The over spray washes out easily.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352780[/ATTACH]

Hold the can 8 to 10 inches from the fabric and spray lightly. You do not want a heavy spray this could cause problems and gunk up you needle and machine when you are ready to sew. After you spray the fabric touch it to make sure that is is slightly tacky.

From this point you can do several different steps in different ways.

This is how I did it. I then carefully centered my top square onto the batting adhesive side down. Make sure not to over stretch the fabric on the batting, this could cause puckering or bunching later. Smooth the fabric over the batting gently. If the batting goes down wonky or has a crease you can simply and carefully pull the fabric back off the batting and re position it as you need to achieve a smooth centered top piece on your batting. I then apply a warm iron to heat set the adhesive.
Be gentle and lite with the iron. Pick up and set the iron down on the fabric instead of using a back and forth motion. Then I spray the backing in the same manner as the front and apply in the same manner. I now have a quilt square sandwich ready to machine or hand quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352786[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352788[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352789[/ATTACH]

Would anyone else like to chime in and share with us the other methods of sandwiching or basting the three layers together????

I will stop here for tonight and tomorrow will share another step that can be very helpful after sandwiching and before quilting... Can anyone guess what that will be???

Have a wonderful evening Ladies... Oh and In the spirit of the olympics and an inspiration to start in. Im giving a honorary virtual gold, silver, and bronze medals to the first three who post their orphaned blocks sandwiched and ready for the next step. I wonder will it be USA or Canucks or one of our other international friends.
Attached Thumbnails dp9-012.jpg   dp9-011.jpg   dp9-008.jpg   dp9-005.jpg   dp9-007.jpg  

dp9-006.jpg  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia Faye View Post
Jen, I'm going to join in so I can learn the QAYG techniques. I have lots of paper pieced blocks (in different sizes) from block swaps that I want to put into a quilt & I have the State Star blocks to put together. I think I'll practice on the swaps first then after I feel comfortable will work on the State Stars.

Here are some of the blocks. I think I have enough to select from and enough in the same sizes to practice on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352781[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352783[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]352784[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]352785[/ATTACH]

Jen, thank you for taking the time to put this tutorial together.
Patricia perfect have you decided on which ones at what size you are going to start with. The apples look great for a starter.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
QuiltE - Check out my location now!
awwwwwwwwwwww sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!
How nice of you, LovelyL!

Jenniky ... I do the spray basting, but have never pressed with the iron after spraying. Is this something that the brand you are using recommends? Or the Jenniky special technique?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:58 PM

I've only used the iron ta git my sandwich smooth & w/out wrinkles, when usein' spray bastin'. Thanks for this info.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
awwwwwwwwwwww sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!
How nice of you, LovelyL!

Jenniky ... I do the spray basting, but have never pressed with the iron after spraying. Is this something that the brand you are using recommends? Or the Jenniky special technique?
Nope not my technique it is a technique that is suggested in various different tutorials and books I have studied. Though it is not stated in the tutorials why you are doing this step. It is my understanding that it quickly sets (drys) the adhesive this helps to prevent residual adhesive transferring to your needle and machine parts and secures your three layers firmly for quilting. No specific brand is every stated. So Im assuming this works with all brands of adhesive to securely dry the adhesive before running it through your machine. If anyone has a different view or understanding please share. Good discussion question QuiltE. Thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 05:28 PM

I have that same blue can of spray basting ... gunked up my needle so bad, the machine timed out - now I know why!! (call me "heavy handed")
Old 07-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Jenniky ... I hope you don't mind. I think some of these types of questions are as important to the end results.

Seeing CowTownLiz's comment ... is that June Tailor spray, Jenniky?

CowTownLiz ... I had one can of June Tailor once and did not like the gunk as it sprayed on, the looks of it, or the spray. Seemed to get good coverage I had to be heavy handed, and then there was just too much goop that came out. And too the needle problems you mentioned. Went back to the 505 ... and haven't had the problem again.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM

Patricia Faye, I recognize most of your PP blocks!
Jenniky, I've seen basting done from corner to corner with a really long running stitch that's pulled out later as well. I've actually done that before, but then this QAYG isn't sure it's liking me, so I'm willing to try different things. I will pick up a can of basting spray...and NOT June Taylor. 505...haven't heard of it, but will look for it.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM

NICE! this is very timely, I am working on using QAYG for a few things.
Here is a link to the blog where you can see one ongoing project (368 blocks project) and a recently completed project using QAYG, a wallhanging.

http://indigoatworkandplay.blogspot.com/

I am also thinking about locating a UFO project I started a couple of years ago, where I didnt know ANYTHING about QAYG and kind of got lost. This would be a great thread to share that with!