Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2015 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2015-fabric-moratorium-t259073.html)

PaperPrincess 01-17-2015 05:14 AM

Earthwalker: I wondered what that thump was! Your thrift shop purchase was more of a charitable contribution, and if your DH purchased some fabric for you, well that is a gift and it would be impolite to turn it down. Now as far as the panels & blender hmmm, well your pledge to use it this year makes up for it. Let us know how the lottery ticket works out for you!

sunrise450 01-17-2015 07:26 AM

It's been two weeks and I haven't bought a thing. Of course there really hasn't been an opportunity yet to buy anything so I guess I can't brag, now can I? It still feels good though!
I just read about someone that sewed their scraps to a 3" register roll and used that to make some quilts. I also saw an article where someone made curtains using this method on the hem.
I need some new kitchen curtains, I have the register roll and you guessed it...I have lots of scraps and plenty of white fabric!
Have a great day everybody!

AngeliaNR 01-17-2015 10:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 7047976)
I bought a yard of fusible fleece and some zippers. I'm wanting to make my sister some zipper pouches for her birthday. I have plenty of fabric, but I didn't have the fleece or zippers. Does this count as a violation of the moratorium?

Used some of the fleece and the zippers to make these:

MadQuilter 01-17-2015 10:23 AM

Those bags are adorable, Angelia.

Earthwalker, since the vintage fabrics were "interesting" you get a pass on those too. If you had said that you picked up some boring or run-of-the-mill vintage fabrics, then there would be words, but "interesting" we all understand. lol

I have been sick since before New Years so I am staying home which is good for my crud, other people, and my pocket book. No purchases since last Saturday. Guess I have to scale it down by week now. lol

IAmCatOwned 01-17-2015 11:35 AM

Wow, some great quilts on this thread. I am joining you. Instead of buying fabric throughout the year, I've been binge shopping only a couple times a year, which I don't really need to do. With the exception of getting the rest of the associated fabrics for the two BOMs I'm doing this year, I don't need anything else. One is the Craftsy BOM and I really don't have fabrics that go with the border fabric I chose. For the other one, I need lights as I just don't have lights in my stash.

If I can get some of my projects done, I will have plenty of leftovers to use for swap blocks. I haven't done a swap just in two years because of health issues (mine and family members) that prevent me from meeting deadlines. I'm hoping t that all changes by summer and by then, I should have leftovers as well!

Sophie2 01-17-2015 11:46 AM

I caved a little today. I needed backing fabric for three UFO's so I got that today, but I also got two yards of a neutral background fabric. I did pass on a lot of other fabric, but just caved on the basic neutral. I will try to be stronger in the future. :(

MadQuilter 01-17-2015 04:00 PM

Sophie, backings are definitely allowed because many of us buy smaller amounts for patchwork. Unless you want to do a pieced back, there is no alternative but to buy backing.

Sophie2 01-17-2015 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 7051930)
Sophie, backings are definitely allowed because many of us buy smaller amounts for patchwork. Unless you want to do a pieced back, there is no alternative but to buy backing.

I thought backings were allowed. I would rather buy wide backs than piece. Just couldn't pass up getting a bit more neutral. Since it is the first fabric I have bought this year, I figure I am doing much better than last year. Love reading everyone's reason (justification) for buying. Some are really creative.

earthwalker 01-17-2015 06:48 PM

I think backings, like batting and thread are pretty much in the same group. Hope you recover soon Martina and Angelia, those backs are fantastic and useful too.

SandyinZ4 01-17-2015 07:13 PM

So glad everyone is doing so well. Even the occasional hop off the wagon is expected with all the valid reason everyone has given so far. Mainly we are trying to use our stash but if there is something we don't have..well then...what can I say. Plus any time there is a bargain on fabric that we know we can use...well.....it only makes sense to spend a little to save a lot. Thankfully, there are no quilt police riding along with us. LOL!