Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2017 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2017-fabric-moratorium-t284776.html)

MadQuilter 02-07-2017 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne (Post 7759166)
Way back ago I am thinking that someone said backing, batting or anything else needed to finish up a quilt didn't count, just material to make the top.

It's the impulse buys, items "just because" that get added to stash, and other unplanned purchases we try to avoid.

AnngelAnne 02-09-2017 05:25 AM

I finished my top with the striped material. It was definitely a challenge for me as I don't like working with striped material at all. I will post a picture later when I get a chance to take it. But didn't buy any material for any of it. I don't have striped in my stash, but but it at the end of last year when I decided to work out of my major comfort zone. Feel good about not buying for it and getting it done. That's one for me.

Madquilter, I agree, its that impulse buying stuff that gets added, so guess not going in to see what is for sale is the safest way for me at this time not to have impulse, added to, or any other reason it tends to follow me home. I think this is one time I can't say "it followed me home, can I keep it?". lol.

oksewglad 02-09-2017 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 7759159)
Good work, Happylab! I have all the pieces for Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt but after seeing the reveal, I'm quite disappointed and will have to force myself to finish it. I wish I had chosen other colors.

I am zipping through my stash and making lots of baby quilts for the NICU where my friend works. I did buy some flannel on sale for the backing as that was requested for softness and I didn't have any. Does that count?

Krystyna,what size are you making these NICU quilts? Bless your heart for doing this.

AnngelAnne 02-09-2017 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 7760555)
Krystyna,what size are you making these NICU quilts? Bless your heart for doing this.

Yes, I need to check my local hospitals and see if they need anything like that for any of the children's wards. Great idea.

AnngelAnne 02-09-2017 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, here is the picture of the quilt. Nothing bought for this one, happy happy. [ATTACH=CONFIG]567834[/ATTACH]

MadQuilter 02-09-2017 02:23 PM

GREAT way to use stripes. Looks fab.

dettonlisas 02-09-2017 08:16 PM

This is a great idea! I did this two years ago and loved it! I think I will join in again!

rryder 02-10-2017 03:49 AM

Good job using those stripes AnngelAnn!

Dettonlisas- welcome back!

AnngelAnne 02-10-2017 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 7761128)
Good job using those stripes AnngelAnn!

Dettonlisas- welcome back!

Thank you, it was definitely a challenge, but interesting. Now to go stash picking and see what else I can come up with.

Thanks Madquilter. If it wasn't for you and others on this board, I would not be so daring with some things. The ones I find the funniest for me are the things most of you all out there think is no big deal. Got some pretty talented but also very helpful people out there.

Krystyna 02-10-2017 05:11 AM

OKsewglad the NICU quilts are about 36" square for the most part. Made of 4.5" squares. I am now birthing them and tying. The backs are flannel. I have about a dozen made. Sadly, my friend from church who works in the NICU just lost her husband, so I don't know when they'll get there.

AnngelAnne, great use of stripes! Very modern!