Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2018 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2018-fabric-moratorium-t293585.html)

Jacki 03-04-2018 07:06 AM

I love the idea of not buying more however I'm working on a 'no net gain' approach. ie if I use 4 fat quarters on a Linus quilt I can buy 4 new fat quarters. How's that?

oksewglad 03-04-2018 07:32 AM

I saw a robin yesterday..MrOk's comment: three more snowfalls according to the adage, “Spring will finally arrive after three snows on a robin’s tail.” Sounds like #1 is on its way...

Net gain sounds good Jacki...for me it's gotta be a net loss to make up for all the gifted fabrics and past stash I have:D. I'm almost up to a -20 yards for the year, but those mini quilts take up only mini bits of backing and binding...it's gonna take a while.:D

petthefabric 03-04-2018 01:49 PM

If you've set a goal (no net gain) you succeed.

For me it's a net loss goal. So far it's -~30 yds. As OK said, little quilts take little amounts. So I'm using a simple pattern with backing and binding it's 2 7/8 per quilt. Someone else does the quilting. My goal is 2 6' bookcases 30" wide of stash. Long wase to go.

ckcowl 03-04-2018 02:55 PM

Another 3 yards of stash fabric gone. Made two pillow cases for our homeless shelter and made 2 Amish Star pot holders all from scraps. ( the pot holders) the pillow cases each used a yard of fabric plus a 1 1/2” strip.

oksewglad 03-04-2018 03:25 PM

Good job, ladies...keep it going! Looking forward to when I can LA my quilts...more quilts done faster! Give me a little time!

redstilettos 03-04-2018 05:36 PM

I'm doing the no net gain, either. I can't not buy fabric when in a different city, so that goal let's me do so, without completely going nuts.

I just finished a tote with material purchased from such a trip from...oh...two years ago. But.....several yards later, I'm down, so that's a good thing!

SillySusan 03-04-2018 06:17 PM

I'm a newbie here, and even if it is March 4th, can I sign up? My 2nd floor of my house is full of fabric. Boxes piled everywhere. I'll have to live until I'm 157 years old to use it all if I hurry (I'm 80 now. .. So, I am taking the pledge.

NO MORE FABRIC FOR MY STASH!!!!

Thanks for the inspiration.

oksewglad 03-04-2018 06:30 PM

Any time, any age, Silly Susan....welcome!

Teen 03-04-2018 06:57 PM

So very proud of us!! We are all so focused on checking our stash first. I gave 4 yards to my SIL today. It was her style of quilting fabric more so than mine and she needed fabric in those colors.......so..woohoo! I now have 3 empty mini bolt holders....

Teen 03-04-2018 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SillySusan (Post 8015750)
I'm a newbie here, and even if it is March 4th, can I sign up? My 2nd floor of my house is full of fabric. Boxes piled everywhere. I'll have to live until I'm 157 years old to use it all if I hurry (I'm 80 now. .. So, I am taking the pledge.

NO MORE FABRIC FOR MY STASH!!!!

Thanks for the inspiration.

Welcome, SillySusan.....we are happy to inspire you. I would love to pilfer your second floor. It will be like Christmas for you as you go through your stash.... Check out the Mystery #18 on the "Challenges" thread....that was a super easy and fast scrap buster project....