Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2018 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2018-fabric-moratorium-t293585.html)

happylab 03-18-2018 10:53 AM

It's great that most of you are looking at our stash before going shopping for fabric we need. I've been doing the same for the last 2 weeks. I'm going to work on UFO's or projects I already have material for this year before I buy new fabric. This way I will be making more room for other things.

No buying anything new from LQS or fabric stores. Nothing really catches my eye or taste. I've been going through my hobby boxes downstairs and really don't need to buy anything. I like to keep my e-mails from my favorite LQS b/c I like to look and get new ideas. Not that I need new ideas.

I'm still working on the same projects I have been working on for the last few months. I will need to start a new project for a charity quilt tomorrow. We have our guild meeting and it's a Charity Sew day, all day. Yea! I think my project will be a throw top. I'll be using the fabric I bought earlier this month. It's washed, just need to cut it out later today, so it's ready to sew tomorrow.

oksewglad 03-18-2018 11:19 AM

Thursday my new to me LA was set up. I was able to put a full size quilt on and quilt it in about 4 hours. Now I'm hand stitching the binding on. When finished I have figured 9 yards of stash in scraps, sashing, borders, backing and binding. Yeah...photo when I'm done. Doesn't it feel good to use fabric you have at home?

kristakz 03-18-2018 12:30 PM

VQW was this weekend, and it was great for my fabric moratorium/stash usage. 4 backings made (and 3 actually quilted). That's a total of 15 yards out of my stash, just for the backings. And all the associated tops were stash fabric too! And so far so good - no purchases this month.

oksewglad 03-18-2018 08:19 PM

Way to go Krista....Are the quilted quilts UFO's or for customers?

I had a productive evening. I put a baby quilt on the LA about 44" square...made 3" leaders for the backing as it was just wide enough...again learning as I go. When finished with this it will mean 3 yards from stash gone...

petthefabric 03-19-2018 10:04 PM

Tomorrow, to the LQS I go. And I've been saving up projects that need backs. Already hunted the stash. So this is planned purchases. Maybe I'll find something I really would like to buy that will work for those backs.

kristakz 03-20-2018 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 8024295)
Way to go Krista....Are the quilted quilts UFO's or for customers?

I had a productive evening. I put a baby quilt on the LA about 44" square...made 3" leaders for the backing as it was just wide enough...again learning as I go. When finished with this it will mean 3 yards from stash gone...

Thanks! They were all UFOs, and 3 of them will be going to charity. #4 is way too big for that, so not sure what its plan is yet. But at least it is done and the fabric is no longer in my stash.

Sounds like you are having fun with your new toy :)

ckcowl 03-20-2018 03:29 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I’ve still managed to not spend anything at all so far this year. I spent the past couple weekends working on going through totes ( the mess) in my sewing room. Made some great progress and bagged up 2 large bags that were donated away. I used another 7 yards of scraps to prep- start my next scrappy quilt- just for foundations and center triangles. The strings will I’m sure add up to a few more yards— making 180 string blocks. I am determined to use scraps- keep making scrap quilts this year until they are much more manageable.
I have 3 good sized baskets full of 3/4” - 1” wide long strips for rope twist projects, locker hooking and clothesline wrap projects too, I don’t know how many yards go into one of my baskets or rugs but ( A Lot!) I’m using those up too.

Teen 03-20-2018 12:13 PM

Ckcowl.......these are awesome!!! Amazing transformation from scrap heap to these beauties....love them...

Irishrose2 03-20-2018 01:06 PM

CKcowl, those are amazing! So is the number of quilts and other items you make.

Blue Bell 03-20-2018 02:46 PM

Amazing baskets and using stash.