Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2018 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2018-ufo-challenge-month-t293707.html)

rryder 05-16-2018 10:43 AM

Good for you Martina! Don't forget, that counts as a finish since it's now permanently off your UFO pile!

Battle-ax- congratulations on finishing your En Provence- it's gorgeous!

Kristakz- those April finishes are lovely!

Teen- tell Rocky I hope he feels better, I can totally relate to the whole eye surgery thingy

Rob

Dedemac 05-16-2018 04:41 PM

Quiltermomma, Yes you need to stay healthy to sew!

Madquilter One down how many more?

Oksewglad - the center square is 1.5 finished, so I'm basically working with 2 inch strips. I'm stacking the colors and making stratas, then cutting the strips. First time I tried this method, seems to be working well.

oksewglad 05-16-2018 05:27 PM

Thanks Dedemac...2" cuts are more appealing (IMHO) than 2 1/2 strips...Anxious to see this finished.

Off the pile and somewhere else is good, Martina.

MadQuilter 05-17-2018 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dedemac (Post 8059369)
Madquilter One down how many more?

Sadly, I have started 2 new projects and finished a top and backing entirely from stash. My new projects involve hand applique so they will take a while. One is a gift so it won't become a UFO.

Teen 05-17-2018 06:21 PM

Madquilter... You hand applique projects.....are they quilts?

I should have my SBS applique borders done tomorrow......then sandwiching this weekend. Off to LA next week. (Fingers crossed)....

Question: My roll of white batting (90") is not big enough for SBS. I typically don't make anything bigger than roll and have only pieced scrap batting for small/donation quilts. There is a lot of white in top in SBS but will be dark on back. Should I be worried that you'll be able to see joined pieces through quilt top or should I just buy a king size package of batting? At this point, I don't want to screw this up in the the last detail.

Conchalea 05-18-2018 03:13 AM

Teen, have you used the fusible tape for joining pieces of batting? I’ve been watching a Craftsy class by Marti Michele & she shows joining some pieces using the tape. I bought some of the tape but I haven’t used it yet. She overlapped the pieces & cut in a shallow scallop so the edges matched perfectly. I’m sure there will be a YouTube video on using it. Hers showed no join when she finished.

QuilterMomma 05-18-2018 08:38 AM

Your best bet from my experience is buy the king batt and save yourself some trouble. I have used the joining tape and it was difficult to quilt thru and you could still see it behind white. If you stitch on a piece in coordinating thread, you may be fine, but if you have the option, go with the king.

MadQuilter 05-18-2018 08:40 AM

I have used the fusible batting tape and had pretty good success with it. I have also cut the two pieces of batting scraps with a slightly curvy line and used a wide zig-zag stitch to connect the pieces. These methods work best for me when I work on smaller quilts. For larger ones, I tend to cut down a big piece of batting.

happylab 05-18-2018 03:01 PM

Good evening everyone. I just love everyone's UFO finishes and WIP projects. as Rocky says, keep up the great work. Thinking of Rocky, glad to see his arm is mending well and he is back to cheering us on. Yea Rocky!!!!

Congrates to Kristakz 3 April UFO finishes. Yea!!!!!! So that makes our April total "16." Yea.

happylab 05-18-2018 03:05 PM

Now to catch up for our lovely May finishes so far this month. We currently have "10" finishes. Yea. Our goal this month is 31. I'm thinking we need to do another push to try to get our numbers back up. I know it lovely weather outside and we want to be with our plants and critters. But I think we have 20 more finished out there some where. What do you think? We will know by the end of the month. Come on Rocky lets start cheering everyone on.