Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-fabric-moratorium-t301821.html)

Teen 01-01-2019 06:32 PM

Oh wow....you have a lovely stash and all so organized and beautifully displayed... So cool. I haven't been quilting very long like some and my stash is minimal compared to yours. I loved building my stash when I first started quilting but quickly realized I needed to gain some control or it would be out of control. Lol.. I have a weakness for certain types of fabric prints...that's when visiting LQS becomes dangerous...lol...

Linda...another cute stash quilt. Right on!

AngeliaNR 01-01-2019 06:56 PM

I'm in. I'm good for today!

I use a lot from my stash, but I need to do better.

DJinSC 01-01-2019 07:18 PM

I would like to join you all. For the past 2 years, I haven't bought much fabric--I vowed to use up my scraps. Only made 1 quilt in 2017 for a new grandson and 1 in 2018 because I spent all my quilt time cutting up my scraps into 5" squares and 2 1/2" strips. I don't enjoy cutting, so that took me a very long time. I love scrappy quilts, but haven't found a pattern I really like. A 5" square quilt will be simple, so I might make a few of those. If anyone has a simple scrappy quilt pattern, please share. I hope to be able to show you some progress, and certainly hope to make more than 1 quilt this year!

sewingitalltogether 01-02-2019 06:57 AM

I did good yesterday. Spent my 15 minutes in sewing room, soaking up the essence of fabric. Ironed a bit. Started my first block on the Caswell Quilt. Planning to get my fix again today, again spending at least 15 minutes in there doing something.

grann of 6 01-02-2019 10:48 AM

So call me a cheater.... I just ordered a piece of fabric from Craftsy to go with the piece I already have for backing, but not enough. And I am proud to say that I didn't order anything else. I was sitting here calculating and there is no way I could make it on the 4 yard piece that came with the kit. I promise to do better tomorrow...and the next day....and the next day.

Belfrybat 01-02-2019 11:22 AM

I'm in for this year. I did fantastic in 2017 -- used over 120 yards from stash. Then I formed a prayer quilt group at church and that gave me "permission" to buy fabrics for the group willy-nilly, so 2018 was a complete bust. So this year, no more buying for myself or the church group unless I need something specific for the backing, and then only the amount I need. My goal is to use 150 yards from stash this year.

Conchalea 01-02-2019 11:43 AM

So last night I decided my quilt-in-progress was too large for a lap quilt but too small for a bed. I had the bright idea to enlarge it by making more blocks. I had enough stash fabric in the right colors & got busy with that today. My problem? The piece I was planning to use to back it is now too small. So-off to Joann’s in our current rainy & cold weather. I don’t know if I’m happy I used up more stash fabric or sad that I now need more fabric for the backing. Ugh.

grann of 6 01-02-2019 12:06 PM

So I'm not the only person who fell to the "make the quilt larger" idea. I was proud that I only ordered the one piece I needed that is the same as what I already have, so the quilt can now get bigger. I still have a jelly roll I could use to make it even bigger, like cover a football field?????:D

petthefabric 01-02-2019 03:19 PM

gran of 6, I'd put that under mindful purchasing to finish a quilt in progress. However, if your goal was to buy zilch, than here's a hand back up on the wagon.

grann of 6 01-02-2019 04:33 PM

Thank you, Petthefabric. I needed absolution for my wayward purchase. Next time, and I hope there isn't a next time, I will make sure I have all the right amounts of fabric before I start a project.