Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-fabric-moratorium-t301821.html)

Iceblossom 02-01-2019 02:49 PM

I'm figuring out what the next project to cut will be. I have a couple of projects put together but none of those are really calling me. I'm getting closer to figuring out at least one quilt to do with the civil war fabrics. I've been working lately quilting down and then hand stitching the bindings, I need a good piecing project next.

I do have a top I need to layout and then sash together, the layout will be the time consuming part of that. Once I get that together I can finalize the border and whether or not I'm going to piece the back. And once that is all decided I'll have a pretty good assortment of fabric I can call surplus.

But question... if I used my coupon from my usual online store for thread, that doesn't count towards the fabric moratorium right? Because I do need some more thread in order to put together some more fabric.

oksewglad 02-01-2019 04:21 PM

As long as you need the thread, of course! And thread is not fabric...a thread moratorium is a different matter!

Teen 02-01-2019 04:57 PM

Lol....thread moratorium? *shudder*. It's bad enough with just the fabric....tho, this year I did add patterns to my moritorium.. However, I know a few quilter's who buy thread "just because" so I'm sure that could get out of hand, too.

Iceblossom...I get that way, too, in terms of projects organized but none appealing to me to start at the moment. When that happens, I just do small projects to help motivate me, again. For me, it's about color. If a colorway interests me, I usually go for that project first.

grann of 6 02-02-2019 12:11 PM

I got the Mystic Dawn quilt quilted, so that is another kit done and out of the way, just have to trim and bind it. I also finished up the Dakota Sunrise top using a layer cake and part of a 2nd one, and a couple yards of batik from the stash for the sashing and cornerstones. Have to find a border from the stash and backing. Then I have to plan which project comes next.

Iceblossom 02-02-2019 03:46 PM

Well, I'm feeling good. Went into the sewing room this morning just to switch over the thread colors to get ready for the next quilting project. Next thing I knew, I was half done. Now I'm finished. It's a simple all over meander that I did freehand and free motion. Only second free motion project and this was the first freehand, used patterns for the first one. No lines were crossed in the making of this meander! For the last several years I've been using a friend's long arm, but in November a different friend gifted me with a modern "sewing computer" and I've been putting it through it's paces quilting down some baby sized projects. Still need to put on the binding and then hand stitch it down.

While the machine is still threaded in black, I'll start framing my post card blocks and figure out the layout. Simple postcard sized pieces of fabric with a grey attic window set, and then will be in a black grid. Remember those old scrap books of yesterday with the black pages? That sort of vibe... maybe... The solid black was the last new fabric I bought back in December even though it didn't arrive until January. It's pre-washed and ready to go.

Then after that? Still don't know. Might just play around making some blocks that may or may not ever be made into a quilt. Might start a purple project, might have a good project for my remaining homespuns and then call myself done with those. Maybe I'll buckle down and work on my paper pieced blocks for the farm quilt now that I have some actual work space in my sewing room again. Decisions, decisions -- but this is one of my favorite parts of quilting, the planning and deciding, sometimes I just need to remind myself of that! :)

oksewglad 02-02-2019 10:05 PM

Finally took time to get my year end totals together. I bought 28.5 yards of fabric in 2018 but figure I used 94.5 yards of fabric in completed projects. (I count fabric used when a project is done) So I have a net loss of 66 yards. Having the long arm and getting quilts done sure helped!

For 2019 I'm on the plus side of 2.5 yards. Better get some projects finished.

retiredteacher09 02-03-2019 07:11 PM

grann of 6 and Ice Blossom: Both of you are on a roll. Keep it up and I look forward to pictures.

oksewglad: Your numbers were great last year. Congratulations!

zozee 02-03-2019 08:05 PM

I'm doing really well with this moratorium. Did not buy any fabric in January (except for my sister's drapes which I made on vacation at her house). I've been using what I have and I've joined swaps, so have not added anything to my stash yet this year.

Feels great. Mind you, it's only early February, but hey--a good start is a good start, right?

grann of 6 02-04-2019 05:09 AM

Well, my great progress on not buying fabric is sadly going to come to an end. I have been cutting the blocks for the BOM I bought for a great price in St. Louis, MO last Sept. I decided to look online to see if by chance any of the fabrics existed, and no, they don't. So I am going to have to shop for something to go with it. I don't have many pinks in my stash, so I will have to be buying about 9 yards of fabric for it. I figure it will be okay, though, since it is for a project that is in the works and will need to be finished. I am taking this project with me to the PhD (Projects half Done) retreat at our LQS on Saturday. So hopefully I can find something suitable while I am there.

oksewglad 02-04-2019 06:18 AM

grann of 6...buy what you need and you will be fine..good luck in finding the right pink!