Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-fabric-moratorium-t301821.html)

Mary Christine 02-05-2019 05:33 PM

My name is Mary Christine. Although I haven't purchased fabric yet in 2019, I have been gifted with quite a bit. I'm going on a quilt retreat Thursday-Sunday, passing several quilt shops on my way there. The temptation is great; pray for me.

Irishrose2 02-05-2019 06:23 PM

Had PT today which means I was in JoAnn's parking lot in a city 50 miles away. Shopped before and after the appointment. Purchases; The exact amount of a batik I need for the border and binding for my current quilt, a small amount of Kona for a inner border, and the exact amount of a decent feeling fabric for the backing. A total success in my book. As this is a special quilt - college graduation - and I have no lime green in my stash, I feel good about staying on track and only buying what I need. 7 yards brought into the house, but none will go into stash.

Conchalea 02-05-2019 07:38 PM

Many people in our group are doing well, either not buying any fabric, or restricting purchases to those needed to complete an ongoing project. Congratulations!

SillySusan 02-05-2019 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mary Christine (Post 8206079)
My name is Mary Christine. Although I haven't purchased fabric yet in 2019, I have been gifted with quite a bit. I'm going on a quilt retreat Thursday-Sunday, passing several quilt shops on my way there. The temptation is great; pray for me.

You can pass by all those mean quilt shop temptations, Mary Christine. Just picture your stash and repeat, "I can do this... I can do this.... I have so much beautiful fabric in my stash..." Remember, you have a lot of friends here who are pulling for you. We want to hear a good report about your successful victory over temptation!!

Snooze2978 02-06-2019 06:15 AM

I started not buying any more fabric right after I went on a bus tour with a group of about 50 quilters. I went overboard then and my sister got to see me in action as she went with me. She could see how someone could go nuts looking at all the beautiful fabrics as even she bought some and she doesn't sew. Anyway, it took over a month before I could get it folded and then find somewhere to stash it. Some are still leaning up against the wall for lack of space. Since then I have only had to buy a couple fat qtrs to finish a border on a quilt I'd been working on. I'm now getting 3 large projects ready for a quilt retreat and found all I needed from my scraps and stash. Almost thought I would have to order some darkest green fabric I found I could split and use 2 colors close to each other in value. What I don't use in one of the projects will be used in one of the others. My goal is to use lots of my scraps as they're getting out of control and use what I have on hand. Its now February and only those couple fat qtrs is all I've bought since October 2018.

oksewglad 02-06-2019 07:56 AM

Good for you Snooze. Your fabric pantry is well stocked!

How close are you to a fabric shop? When you live in a rural area like I do, you don't run to town to get something because you need it now! I work a couple days in town and I plan my errands around those days.

Belfrybat 02-06-2019 04:45 PM

Everyone is doing so well! Even those who have fallen (or jumped) off the wagon are back on. I haven't purchased any more stash adding fabric since the blue from Hobby Lobby, so I'm being good. I was tempted last week when Marshall's was offering bolts for $1.95 a yard, but I resisted. Am using up a lot of blues and greens in the Arkansas Crossroads quilt and will be using 12 or so to back the four UFO quilts I need to finish.

Judith1005 02-06-2019 06:09 PM

I'm doing pretty good so far. I was even in JoAnn's today to look at fabric for a baby quilt. One of my DD's old school friends is pregnant. I'm glad they didn't have what I wanted. After I really thought about it, I didn't need it. I have plenty to use right at home! I bought nothing and came home.

I was also in there a few days ago and only bought a book that I have been looking at for months. Trying to decide if I really wanted it and when should I buy it. So, I splurged. But, buying books and patterns really isn't a problem for me any more. I have weeded my quilting books to a couple of dozen that I usually pull out to use on a regular basis. And, usually, I will regularly rotate them and donate something if I haven't touched it in a long time. So, yes, a successful visit.

I do see that I am trending to a different type of fabric then I used to. More soft and muted compared to my bold and bright. Again, I don't see it as a problem. I have lots of those type fabrics in stash also. They just weren't used a lot before. Now, they will.

SillySusan 02-07-2019 05:48 AM

Good going, Judith! What great willpower to walk away from that fabric!!

sewingitalltogether 02-07-2019 06:02 AM

I'm not doing so well on this fabric moratorium. Ordered 4 yards of bright flower fabric. My DD wants to change her Christmas table runner for a spring one. She wants spring flowers. I do think that just joining this group and THINKING about not buying more fabric or adding more to the collective stash will eventually have an effect on me.