Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-fabric-moratorium-t301821.html)

Teen 02-21-2019 06:33 PM

I entered A Hobby Lobby store for only the second time in my life.. Lol...cool store....and I had a Coupon for Kona solids. I needed 2.5 yds of white for a new quilt I'm making as I challenge myself with using every scrap of a fat quarter bundle for various projects. I'm tired of cutting into a FQ bundle, only making one quilt and throwing the rest in stash...so, my personal challenge. I'll take a picture of all the projects completed using FQ bundle and misc BG from stash. I have 2 completed so far, enough for a lap quilt and likely another applique project...maybe a pillow.. We'll see. Lol..

retiredteacher09 02-21-2019 06:53 PM

oksewglad: Mum is the word. :)

Teen: What does BG stand for? My brain is a little tired at the moment. I subbed today and then again tonight in an Early Childhood class for 2 year olds.

Teen 02-21-2019 06:57 PM

BG='Background.

You have my admiration, Connie... Teaching all day and then evening class is exhausting. Been there..done that... And my brain shuts down too!, lol..

Conchalea 02-22-2019 04:53 AM

Connie, I feel your weariness! Yesterday I had morning classes in 2 different locations. 8:15 start for one, 10:30 for the second. Each is an hour & I drove a total of 55 miles (I get paid mileage). The teachers are in the room, but the 2nd class had a sub who looked like she graduated high school last week, so I had to discipline as well as teach my program. The kids told me their regular teacher just quit a few weeks ago so I think they’ve had a series of subs. Then I had an afternoon class, more driving. It was a long day for me, too. But no 2 year-olds!

I need backing for my finished top but I’m avoiding shopping for it. Just not in the mood for all the traffic in addition to what I have to encounter for my part-time teaching. When the desire to complete it outweighs my aversion to traffic, I’ll shop. At least it’s keeping me on the wagon.

oksewglad 02-22-2019 06:10 AM

Conchalea...any support we have we gotta use it! For me to go to a JA or HL it's an hour and 15 minute drive..the whole day is shot as usually I do some other shopping while there. My two days of work wears me out as well..and no kids to deal with, Connie...I usually just veg out when I get home, too. It's when I do my quilt planning etc..

Irishrose2 02-22-2019 08:27 AM

I subbed for seven years after I retired. I actually found it easier than my remedial teaching job.
The Hugs and Kisses are coming along. I hope my GD considers lime a green, because it is very lime and very bright. She likes green, but she didn't say what shade.

grann of 6 02-22-2019 09:13 AM

I've been incognito for a few days recovering from a head cold that doesn't want to go away. Haven't done much sewing till yesterday. I finished up my pink quilt. I think it turned out great, since I don't usually do pink, but this kit spoke to me when we visited The Quilted Fox in St. Louis, MO last fall. I did have to buy backing for it but, proudly, when I bought it I didn't buy anything else. So this is another empty bin in my stack of many bins. I also got the Dakota Sunrise quilt ready for the longarm. I had to buy backing for it, but I was a good girl and didn't. succumb to MSQC deal of the day or any sale items. Now I am starting on my Metro Rings using my collection of Grand Traverse Bay fabric. This has been sitting in my stash for I guess 2 years till I found just the right pattern for it. Since I am originally from Michigan and loved the area around Grand Traverse Bay, this will probably be a quilt I won't easily give up.

Everyone has been doing a wonderful job of shopping their stash. Keep up the good work ladies.

Iceblossom 02-22-2019 02:30 PM

I've been out at my mom's (about 90 minutes away from me) for a couple of days to take her to a doctor's appointment. While I was out that way I had some non-quilting fabric to give back to the thrift store along with some miscellaneous dishes and stuff. Went in and found it was half off linen day... so I bought a lovely ~4 yard piece of batik for $2.50 and I had enough small change in my purse to pay for it. However, I still have not bought anything new from anywhere since December.

oksewglad 02-22-2019 03:46 PM

Today brought home 2 yards of 90" Cuddle to use on the back of GS's quilt...hope to get it on the LA and quilted this weekend!

SillySusan 02-22-2019 04:18 PM

Since I finished up the 8 baby quilts during the last VQW, I have been really busy making baby crib sheets and 3 new quilt tops... all from stash! This morning I visited one of the room that holds the tubs, bins, totes, shelved, etc., of stash and discovered that I made another dent in it! After doing a little sorting and shuffling, I emptied one huge tub! Yipee!!

Not buying any fabric since Dec. 2017, and sewing like the crazy woman that I am, is really beginning to make a difference!

Thanks for all the encouragement from y'all! I couldn't do it except for the wagon we have rolling along here!!