Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-fabric-moratorium-t301821.html)

retiredteacher09 02-22-2019 05:08 PM

Oh, Silly Susan, that is awesome-an empty huge tub! Congratulations!

Thanks, Teen, for explaining BG.

I was so tired this morning when I was in a 3 year old class. The parents were in the class for about 1/2 of the 2 hour class so that helped plus several other teachers and helpers were there too. I stopped at McDonalds on my way home, raked the snow from the edge of the front garage roof, ate, and fell asleep in my chair! :) I finally went out and raked the edge of the back garage roof.

Teen, Conchalea, and oksewglad: It is a bummer that we get tired doing things that we enjoy outside of the home.

Conchalea: What do you do in the classes for 1 hour? One of my schools still has Junior Achievement and that's an hour long so just curious.

SillySusan 02-22-2019 05:28 PM

Retiredteacher, I ended my teaching career in a pre-K class, even though my certificate is Secondary Ed. (7th thru 12). No wonder you are tired from chasing those little ones!

We don't have any snow here now, but we have constant rain... weeks and weeks of miserable grey skies, cold, rain and more rain coming. At least we are not dealing with getting that cold, wet, white stuff off roofs.

You deserve a rest. Have a nice cup of tea, put your feet up and relax! :)

oksewglad 02-22-2019 08:32 PM

RetiredT...are you cleaning off garage roof for the next round? MrOk and Farmer Son are soooo tired of this stuff...February is the shortest month of the years, but MrOk swears it's the longest!

Fell asleep on the sofa after a busy..but fun..day at work. Now tomorrow hope to get GS quilt on LA and quilt away...will have pictures of a couple of projects shortly.

Nita 02-23-2019 05:52 AM

Fellow Quilters, I just read all 23 pages of this thread and am inspired! I, too, am way ahead in R/T buying fabrics but way behind in R/T utilizing fabrics from my HUGE stash! I have tried ... multiple times ... to resist the urge to buy. Each time ended in failure and then wallowing in guilt. So my goal for 2019 is to resist buying fabrics simply because 1.) I like them 2.) they are on sale or 3.) I have a coupon burning in my pocket. In other words, I allow myself to buy fabrics only when I actually "need" and plan to use in a project I am currently working on. It is not a perfect plan, by any means. But it does force me to pull from my stash first, delete promotional emails, through out catalogs, etc., etc., etc. Another thing I have started doing is to "re-purpose" fabrics in kits that I purchased awhile back and no longer have interest in making the project.

BTW, I love Teen's suggestion about making a 2nd donation quilt from the fabrics leftover from the #1 quilt she initially made with the fabrics. A great idea! A Win-Win situation, in that it cuts down on fabric stash build up and also results in Random Acts of Kindness.

SillySusan 02-23-2019 07:25 AM

Nita, you can do it! We are here with encouraging words for you.

Since you've read all 23 pages here, you know how I planned to cut into my huge stash. When I am in the middle of making a top, I use everything that I already have in this mess of fabric I have. I always find something that I can use at the bottom of some pile that works well. I don't give up. I know that I have something hidden somewhere.

LarasAussies 02-23-2019 07:38 AM

I’ve been following along for inspiration. My goal this year is to try and only use stash. We have several home improvement projects like replacing the deck, bathroom, and all the windows that need to get done this year. So every time I’m tempted to buy fabric I try to equate it to what I have to give up.. I can have this $50 worth of fabric or a new faucet...so far it’s worked.

tranum 02-23-2019 08:41 AM

I’m learning free motion quilting on my own (you tube) so I’ve made 3 table runners (for practice) from stash. Only bought 1/2 yard to finish up one. Small projects, I know, but I feel good about it. BTW, my FMQ is improving !!

AUQuilter 02-23-2019 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 8215088)
I’m learning free motion quilting on my own (you tube) so I’ve made 3 table runners (for practice) from stash. Only bought 1/2 yard to finish up one. Small projects, I know, but I feel good about it. BTW, my FMQ is improving !!

Thumbs up, Tranum! Small projects still use up stash and your FMQ is getting better. Sounds like a great plan.

Teen 02-23-2019 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nita (Post 8214931)

BTW, I love Teen's suggestion about making a 2nd donation quilt from the fabrics leftover from the #1 quilt she initially made with the fabrics. A great idea! A Win-Win situation, in that it cuts down on fabric stash build up and also results in Random Acts of Kindness.

Thanks! A fellow quilter and mentor taught me this when I first started quilting 3 years ago. You will be amazed on how little goes back in stash with this strategy. I, also, bought a few of full bolts of fabric (on sale of course) that I use strictly for backing the second quilts. initially, I started this because I was limited in space and didn't want my craft all over the house. Now, I do it because it's a win-win as you've said. Good luck!

Teen 02-23-2019 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by LarasAussies (Post 8215023)
I’ve been following along for inspiration. My goal this year is to try and only use stash. We have several home improvement projects like replacing the deck, bathroom, and all the windows that need to get done this year. So every time I’m tempted to buy fabric I try to equate it to what I have to give up.. I can have this $50 worth of fabric or a new faucet...so far it’s worked.

Have fun remodeling!! You can just funnel your creativity into the remodel. The fabric will be there when you can budget it back in...