Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-fabric-moratorium-t301821.html)

Judith1005 02-18-2019 08:47 AM

I made a purchase at JoAnn Fabrics today. I purchased 6 yards of white broadcloth. I am using 2 yards to make 2 pillowcases to match a quilt. And, the other 4 yards will be used for the backing on my Grandson's curtains. I thought I had an appropriate white in my stash to use. But, it turns out I didn't. I am hoping I calculated right on the curtains and all will be used strictly for that purpose. I will let you know how it goes.

Judith1005 02-18-2019 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8210302)
So I need help! No, I'm not tempted to buy exactly, but on letting go of my desire for control.

While typically I do most of my quilts as scrap or charm quilts, I find what works well for me is to have some consistent placement or fabrics to help calm down the wild scraps. Sure, for the "colors" I use a lot of different stuff but I definitely prefer to have a consistent background.

I'm going to be making these flying square blocks (link a couple of pages ago) and am about to cut the whites I'll be using. I want to use up lots of little pieces of white on white, but part of me is concerned about how they will look completed, I know just looking in the box some pieces are very bright white, some more yellow, grey, whatever.

So how do you quilters do it? Do you just mix and match? Do you do all the same background in the same block? Do you just relax and figure it will all work in the end? I'm having problems relaxing, funny that using different whites is out of my comfort zone.

What I am thinking is that I should cut multiple different pieces of the white-on-white and use my surplus Y2K trading squares (lol yes, they've been sitting in my strip box for all these years) on those strips for a different set of scraps than the 9-patches, with each side of the block using a different white-on-white.

I haven't fully fleshed out this quilt in my mind. I know that if I add white sashing the outer rings of the 9-patches and the sashing will form a resulting white 9-patch shape and I might want to go that route. In that case should I continue with random pieces or should I use one consistent piece for the sashing?? Maybe I should just go play in Electric Quilt and do a bit more planing, even though I was trying hard to just let this project happen.

Edits:
Here's that link again
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt-...es-quilt-block

My 9-patches will all be scrappy, no attempt at light or dark corners or anything. I went through and divided my strips into light/dark, which meant mediums landed on both sides and will land together.

Not the best photo. But, this quilt uses all different scrappy whites. It doesn't make a bit of difference. It still reads white on white. And, you know how all whites are not the same hue. It is true of this quilt also. And, the pinks and oranges are scrappy also.

https://i1189.photobucket.com/albums..._083758514.jpg

Here's a picture of a close up of the different whites. Although, it is really hard to tell the difference when quilted.

https://i1189.photobucket.com/albums..._115939913.jpg

I did have it quilted by a long armer with an overall E2E design. When quilted, it is really tough to tell the difference. (It was way to large for me to contemplate quilting on my own.)

So, definitely go scrappy if you need to.

Judith1005 02-18-2019 09:11 AM

Oops, I guess I was late to the party. I don't know why, but, I will read the previous and last pages of a thread and find posts that weren't their the first time around. So, either I'm loosing my mind, or posts sometimes don't show up right at the time??? I have had this happen to me a lot over the past year or two.

Iceblossom 02-18-2019 09:23 AM

Yeah, every now and then I have that happen too, must be some sort of advanced setting in bookmarks or just a little quirk.

But a nice reply and a really great project example, thank you for both.

It's funny the different things that give us different issues. LOL my hubby went by and saw my strips and said -- "Oh, there are your white fabrics" and I gave him a look and said, "no, those are my OFF-white fabrics -- this is a white fabric". And I could tell that he couldn't tell what I was saying at all. It was a good lesson in perspective.

oksewglad 02-18-2019 03:28 PM

Not sure if you've done this, IceB, but put all those off whites in a pile so that you can see bits of all of them and take a picture...see what shows up. Also go to gray scale and that will show values better as well. You can't tell the fabrics are not the same in your quilt, Judith. Thanks for sharing..

AUQuilter 02-18-2019 04:31 PM

Still inside the wagon... no more hanging off the side to pick up some fabric at thrift shop in last few weeks. Spent today emptying scrap containers, cutting down small scraps and ironing the bigger pieces that will get cut mid-week. Got one container completely emptied and started filling my "box to take to sew day with quilty fabrics to be shared". Mid-Atlantic quilt show is coming up in less than two weeks.

happylab 02-19-2019 02:58 PM

I did really good this month. I had planned on going to my LQS and buy matching fabric for binding on a pre quilted baby quilt. I ended up not going, too tired and too cold outside. Anyway, I was looking for fabric for some BOM and BOW I want to do and I looked up and found the perfect fabric for my project. I just hope it is enough. I need to do some calculations before I cut my strips.

Continue to do great on shopping your stash everyone. I like the progress being done on stash quilts being made.

Belfrybat 02-21-2019 02:16 PM

I'm still holding strong. Went into Hobby Lobby last week and didn't even go back to the fabric department -- not even to pet the goods. And I haven't stepped into JoAnns even to look at the yarn sale they had. I've quilted a few quilts and will tally up my fabric use at the end of the month, but it looks like it will be around 20 yards.

joe'smom 02-21-2019 02:20 PM

I bought backing and binding fabric this week, and did check the 'what's new' section at FQShop, but did not succumb.

oksewglad 02-21-2019 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by happylab (Post 8213009)
I did really good this month. I had planned on going to my LQS and buy matching fabric for binding on a pre quilted baby quilt. I ended up not going, too tired and too cold outside. Anyway, I was looking for fabric for some BOM and BOW I want to do and I looked up and found the perfect fabric for my project. I just hope it is enough. I need to do some calculations before I cut my strips.

Continue to do great on shopping your stash everyone. I like the progress being done on stash quilts being made.

happylab...maybe if you cut 2 1/4" binding strips instead of 2 1/2" it may let you squeak by with your piece.

I feel like the horseback rider swooping down to rescue the damsel in distress...not quite off and not quite on the horse. Yes I swooped, came close to falling off, but was saved by the sale (end of the bolt) fabric I bought; the piece I bought for a kitchen curtain, the 3/4 yd for a teeny tiny mini cuz nothing matched, and the sack of scraps that yielded 12 1/3 yd wof cuts and misc scraps for less than the price of a yard. Shhh don't tell anyone!