Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2020 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2020-fabric-moratorium-t308855.html)

Teen 12-26-2020 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 8446178)
A last minute Christmas project that used up about 3 yards of Christmas fabric. It was a tradition in my family started by our master quilter before she passed to make fabric gift bags for our family gifts. Over the years the bags have been passed on and on and on until now we don't have any. So, this year I restarted the tradition and made bags for my brother and SIL for their gifts. They are just simple bags with a ribbon draw string. Some have squared bottoms others not and they are all different sizes from small 5 X & to 22 X 26. I have already started making bags for my nieces and nephews for Christmas 2021. Each bag will hold two potholders.

Shame on me, I did not take any photos of the bags. Will post photo when I finish more. Such an easy gift and it sure saves on the cost of gift wrap the just goes in the trash every year!!

That is a cool tradition! I did make some fabric bags this year but only because I didn’t have the sizes needed. Totally improvised but it made the gift look so pretty.....and I didn’t have to go shopping....I just may do this for everything next year, too.

retiredteacher09 12-26-2020 06:39 PM

WMUTeach: What a wonderful tradition that you are reviving! I have done a few in the past.

dmo: You are doing a great job using your stash.

happylab 12-26-2020 06:58 PM

I used 6 yards of fabric from my stash making 3 easy bags. Forgot to take pics before I gave them away.

Conchalea 12-27-2020 05:19 PM

Good use of stash, everyone! I spent time organizing my stash & gave some to K's daughter. But she gave me more, plus yarn, so I have more than I did before the trade. I did reduce my yarn stash a little by making & gifting 3 scarves, so the yarn stash is about the same.

Julienm1 12-28-2020 04:10 AM

Unsubscribed from the web sites that I shop from...occasionally...and get daily teases showing their special of the day. Organizing my fab and I have no business buying any fabric. Confession...today I did type M to see their special and Q for the other web site but didn't order anything https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/frown.png.

WMUTeach 12-28-2020 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 (Post 8446872)
Unsubscribed from the web sites that I shop from...occasionally...and get daily teases showing their special of the day. Organizing my fab and I have no business buying any fabric. Confession...today I did type M to see their special and Q for the other web site but didn't order anything https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/frown.png.

You have a method to slow down the shopping! Three cheers for you! In similar fashion, when I started shopping from my stash and not online, I found it easier to pass by "deals", particularly pre-cuts, sorry MSQ. I read an article about the actual cost of pre-cut fabrics and I decided I could buy yardage and cut my own for much less, but this year I haven't even done that. Now, that said, from time to time it is nice to have everything on hand and that will blend well together, but no pre-cuts, not one this year! I have used up several and will use more this coming year.

When fabrics.com or Jordan Fabrics or JoAnn's or whoever send me deals or bargains, DELETE! I seldom open them and if I need a specific fabric, I do the search and don't allow the shop to lure me into buying what I like but don't need. Not good for those businesses I understand but good for reducing my stash.

petthefabric 12-28-2020 05:32 AM

Last night I ordered a whole lot of fabric. Planning a house warming quilt for daughter and SIL. Picked a pattern. Got their approval and color choices. Shopped my stash. Then shopped and ordered. Felt good to be in control of the purchasing process.

Rff1010 12-28-2020 07:37 PM

Making those Bear paws and I bought some khaki for background but the rest is stash. (I started with a half yard piece thinking that would be enough for the hats...but no....!) I can't get over how easy it was to put together. Not huge but meditative, non stressful sewing. Boy do I have scraps tho! I'm making a checkerboard border on 2 sides. All the colors coordinate so it's better than adding to the scrap pile!

Conchalea 12-28-2020 07:42 PM

I'm happy to see people buying mindfully, if at all.
I did buy5 jelly rolls & 1 layer cake this year, but I've used a lot of strips from each JR. I pulled several more tonight for a jelly roll quilt, Ripples, from FQS. Do I have 3 quilts already planned or in progress? Why, yes I do. But I really think this will be a fun & fairly fast quilt to make. Plus, it will reduce my stash, so I'll start it tomorrow!

joe'smom 12-28-2020 09:16 PM

Wow, I'm so impressed with how everyone is powering through their stash! I'm doing the BH mystery first time all from stash, except had to buy some lighter neutrals, as I mostly had the tan variety. Looking forward to a new year of conscientious buying. It helps so much to be in this inspiring group!