Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2020 UFO Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2020-ufo-challenge-t308972.html)

rryder 07-15-2020 11:29 AM

Thanks for the kind words, everyone :)

Rob

Krisb 07-15-2020 12:16 PM

July finishes and YTD total

July started off with a bang, even if we could only watch it on TV.

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 8399235)
Today I finished 1 UFO. Got labels on 5 UFO's. Another is ready for binding. Tonight or tomorrow.

We want pictures!

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 8399201)
Ta-Da! I finished a UFO today. This is an exchange block quilt from 2011. I finished it today, label and all. The backing, batting and sashing were all from stash which makes this an even better finish!

Congratulations!

Originally Posted by Conchalea (Post 8401311)
My second UFO, a baby quilt for my great-nephew due in September, is finished! I used a quilting foot for the blue & white log cabins to make triangles. I thought triangles would be a nice contrast to the square blocks. Then I spent time practicing swirls on a pillow top, and did FMQ on the borders. Practicing first, as suggested by Pat Sloan, really helped. None of the swirls has eyelashes, which mine have had in the past.

Conchelea, your family babies are keeping you busy ☺️

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 8402012)
Hey all,
Here's my July UFO finished! It's been sitting around since 2012 unfinished because the blocks wouldn't line up, but I decided that for a snuggle quilt, it didn't matter--- ! Measures about 48" x 60".
Rob

Rob, kudos to you for acting on “Done is better than perfect”. If we just finish them instead of looking at the mistakes, resolving to take them apart and fix them, then getting down about the time required to fix them and letting them lie in a pile in a closet, we would all have fewer UFOs.

115 through June, 119 through today. As always, PM me if I missed anything.

Most importantly, a big congratulations to NZ quilter. 🤱

Teen 07-15-2020 01:20 PM

Wonderful cuddle quilt, Rob!! Well done! Great stash buster, too!

retiredteacher09 07-15-2020 04:30 PM

rryder: Great UFO finish!

Conchalea 07-16-2020 03:19 AM

Rob, your quilting inspired me, as always.
NZquilter, congratulations on your news!

My friend, K, & I have been busy. I'll post pictures later, as we're due to take them today. Last week, with my help, she put the binding on a green & beige quilt her daughter pieced years ago. Then we tackled a big project. A yellow, black, & gray quilt in the stack had a back & batting but wasn't quilted. It was bulky & heavy, but the top was striking. We dragged it downstairs & examined it. It had been partially tied with yellow cotton yarn & had 2 layers of batting. We took it apart as K doesnt like tied quilts plus it was much too heavy for the weather here. Her daughter had laid small pieces of batting around the big ones to make up the full size, but hadn't sewn any together. The quilt was also what I considered an odd size, 72" by 102". Her dad is 6 ft 6in, so maybe it was a sleeping bag for him! We decided to deconstruct it & took 4 rows off the long end, resewed them to the width, & reattached the borders. I cut binding strips & K sewed that on. It is now 81" by 89" & we worked on it Tues- Saturday. It's now washed & ready to be donated. That's 2 UFOs from her upstairs closet completed!
This week I put the binding on a baby quilt UFO for a friend, so that's 3 UFOs K & I have finished in 1 week. I almost feel like I have a full time job again! But we have such a blast together, collaborating on the best way to finish the quilt tops, plus K is loving quilting & binding! She thinks piecing may be too fussy for her taste, but shes now practicing FMQ. I may have shown her her true passion.

sewbizgirl 07-16-2020 10:25 AM

Will be waiting for those pictures, C.!

cherrybsixty 07-16-2020 12:56 PM

Good afternoon everyone, Conchalea, I am loving you and K's story. Seeing that friendship just growing with the art. Keep enjoying

Stay safe

cherryb

Krisb 07-16-2020 08:20 PM

Wow, 7 already in July! Conchelea, you may be going for the one month record, and creating a new quilter.

Conchalea 07-17-2020 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 8402405)
Wow, 7 already in July! Conchelea, you may be going for the one month record, and creating a new quilter.

Maybe mine should be halved, since 2 of us are sewing!
There are still 17 or so tops in K's guest closet. We now call that room the quilt top room. There also seems to be piles of various beige fabrics which we hope to use for backings. I may develop a serious aversion to that color!

Conchalea 07-17-2020 04:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the reconstructed quilt.