Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2021 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2021-fabric-moratorium-t313678.html)

Unicorn Quilts 04-21-2021 07:46 PM

Well done, Suz! I challenged myself to make something with some of my precut stash. I have oodles of jelly rolls and layer cakes, but most of the quilts I've been making come from fat quarters. Sometimes it's hard to picture using precuts for something other than the pattern you purchased them to make. Now I'm starting to look at each and think...why not? Even if it's not the perfect pairing of fabric and pattern, it's better than sitting in the closet, being nothing.

rryder 04-22-2021 03:50 AM

Good work Sewingsuz!

welcome to QB’s fabric moratorium Unicorn Quilts!

Rob

Iceblossom 04-22-2021 05:38 AM

I believe RetiredTeacher already knows but for the newer members, historically there has always been a store closing exemption. Likewise, I think it is only reasonable for some of us to help reduce their load in moving...

I've done a tiny bit of organizational stuff mostly in the sewing room but also other general house stuff. In the living room the "moving" (temporary) fabric has been cleared and put away in preparation for different fabric coming out today! In my house if something stays still long enough, it collects fabric. It's like moss on the trees, part of a natural process.

In the sewing room it wasn't much but I grabbed up lots of loose fabric (including some of those movers) and now have a couple more "unsorted boxes" but the sorted boxes were all turned around so I could read their front labels and side labels were added to the others. (I use cardboard for light protection so can't see what is in the boxes) Far from ideal but better than it was and nicely stacked boxes better than towering stacks of fabric like something out of a Dr Seuss book.

Today the quilt lady is coming over again, last time I overwhelmed her with fabric -- turned out it wasn't so much fabric options she needed as the concept of one each light/medium/dark that all contrast to each other. Now that we are on the same page, I have one set of fabrics to work with, mostly skies and some 30s repo or true vintage because it goes with the others/the recipient.

Friday we meet up with one of the other ladies (total of 4 out of 6), she is having some medical tests today :( main reason of the visit is really to check in on her, but I will be ready to discuss layout options.

I still haven't ordered the yellow but I have the yardage figured out. I have not looked at extra wide backs for at least 24 hours.

One day at a time!

juliasb 04-22-2021 07:08 AM

I hate it when I have to buy any fabrics for any reason. With all the fabric here you would think I could do anything. Twice this year, as I have already mentioned, I have had to buy fabric. It looks like I will have to buy a 3rd time soon. I am going to put it off as long as I can, but just knowing that is coming is driving me nuts. I might be able to put it off a couple months if I set this quilt aside for a bit. Does anyone else do this or am I just trying to fool myself? Should I just buy what I need and succumb to the temptation. I will try to only purchase what I need and not break the bank.

joe'smom 04-22-2021 08:40 AM

juliasb, would you consider putting it off because you don't like buying fabric, or because you are afraid you would buy more than what you need because you really do like buying fabric?

Irishrose2 04-22-2021 08:49 AM

Julia, will you use the fabric with 30 days? If so, buy it. Fabric prices are going up very soon, so we need to buy what we will use before that happens. My daughter has requested a quilt for an online auction for the women's shelter. I found fabric for the front, but am having trouble finding a backing in my stash.
I dislike paying shipping, but is it any different than paying for gas for a 100 mile round trip?

retiredteacher09 04-22-2021 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sewingsuz: Way to go with using your stash! Please share pictures with us.

Unicorn Quilts: I agree with better used than sitting.

Iceblossom: I agree it is our responsibility to help lessen their moving load. ❤️ I’m glad you are getting your stash put in usable and stackable boxes. I, also, love the way you share your knowledge with others along with some fabric.

juliasb: If you buy the fabric and finish the quilt, it won’t go to UFO land somewhere down the line. 🤷‍♀️

Irishrose2: Good question about shipping vs mileage. My son always mentions time spent too. I ordered quilt batting from a place in the northern part of the state. I really didn’t like the shipping cost but it’s a 5 hour drive one way so shipping won out for now.

Well, I actually made 2 stops at my LQS today. When I went to pick up my bobbin holder, I noticed clearance signs. I asked about the clearance fabric and that was a mistake. 🙂. 11.49 - 11.99 dollars per yard fabric was $5 per yard unless I purchased everything on the bolt which reduced all of it to $3 a yard. I didn’t have much time but I picked 2 bolts which was a total of 10 yards. Then I stopped on my way home from visiting my son and 14 month old grandson and bought 15 yards more. 🤷‍♀️ So 25 yards for $75 was a great deal. I do have plans for some of it already.

I told the employee at least you won’t need to move the 5 bolts and she said she probably sold 5 more bolts after I left this morning. 🙂

oksewglad 04-22-2021 05:40 PM

Oh such great cute fabrics, retiredT.....what fun to play with!

Iceblossom 04-23-2021 07:16 AM

Connie, looks like you used marvelous restraint and spent your budget well.

Welcome Unicorn! What I've been telling myself about jellyroll and other precut projects is that if you pick a quilt design you like, the fabrics in a jellyroll or layer cake are designed to go together and they will, even if you go from something that is designed soft and pale and floral and turn it bold and bright or vice versa. And then, if they don't go together well -- blame the designer!

LOL, I'm debating with myself if I'm going to do the Bonnie Hunter mystery this year or not. It depends on if I get done with Aunt Debbie's quilt. Right now, I'm thinking I am going to do it and I'm going to use some of my small bits of solid fabrics -- I have an entire box of solids that isn't going anywhere. All solids, just color sorted. Theoretically, it should work and if it doesn't -- I blame Bonnie!

joe'smom 04-23-2021 01:57 PM

retiredteacher, that was a great sale to take advantage of!

I was looking for my applique book, and pulled 29 books that I will now try to give away. The remaining books are now somewhat organized.