Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2021 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2021-fabric-moratorium-t313678.html)

Rff1010 04-24-2021 12:05 AM

Bought some fabric to freshen up the mask collection. Need some more spring-summer fashion. Blue background with little rosebuds. Otherwise I've been pretty good. Just working off my stash.

AUQuilter 04-24-2021 05:30 AM

I wish I could say I didn't buy during the past year... I am now back on the wagon looking through UFOs to back with excess. Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement.

petthefabric 04-24-2021 09:35 AM

Went to 30% off sale yesterday. Didn't see anything I wanted. Friend strongly encouraged me to buy something on sale so I picked up a Grunge bolt. Had to wait in line, decided I didn't want it that bad, especially since tired and leg hurt. Left without buying! Yeh for me!

acheela 04-24-2021 12:01 PM

I decided to do a “stained glass”quilt to use up scraps. I think this will be an ongoing project while I’m working on other stuff. I had someone call and ask me to make 2 baby quilts for them for $$, so I did buy panels for those, and probably will have to go get fabric... but this is an exemption right?

Iceblossom 04-24-2021 12:23 PM

The concept is to shop your stash first and if you need something for a project you really are going to do, then is ok to buy. Sometimes you just need that one more thing, or just gotta do what you gotta do!

For an actual business transaction, I don't see any need for any exemptions at all. The problem some of us get into is the potential of the fabric and the desire to acquire. Oh sure, "some of us" is me :p

As someone who was once in the running for "she with most fabric", I still maintain there is nothing wrong in collecting fabric but I have decided to reduce my fabric load. I have to stop bringing fabric in (but i have a terrible lack of self control at $1/yard) and I have to either use the remainders or find people who will. I have greatly reduced my stash by giving and now am mostly in the using mode.

Still haven't ordered my yellow. The box of fabric I sent arrived very quickly! Expecting my dragonfly back to show up Monday, hoping to bring it to show the ladies on Tuesday. We (the Tuesday group) are progressing on the comfort quilt project, I need to get off the computer and back to the cutting table. But in my defense, I have provided and prewashed fabric from my stash -- one piece for the sashing was dated on the selvedge as 1993 -- and I remember buying it! Terrible thing my memory. The other piece I found at the Goodwill a couple of years ago is a perfect border. And -- I get to take the back out of my stash too!

petthefabric 04-24-2021 01:38 PM

As to reducing the load: one lady took a bag of scraps. Another took most of my flannel. 2 bags out of my studio!

retiredteacher09 04-24-2021 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rff1010: Enjoy those new masks.

AUQuilter: We love pictures!

petthefabric: Wahoo to you for not buying something you weren’t thrilled about in the first place. Nice way to reduce the load.

acheela: A stained glass quilt sounds interesting. Buying fabric for a specific project to finish it is an exemption especially since it’s for $$.

I finished another top. It is Strip Joint by GEDesigns. It is 59.75” by 80” and will be finished by my church quilting group. The best part is it is all from stash which was either my DMIL’s or donated to my church quilting group or directly to me. A tiny bit may have been from my stash.. Blessed to honor other quilter’s by using their stash.

rryder 04-25-2021 04:26 AM

Connie- that looks great and used from several different stashes. Good job!

acheela- welcome, no need for an exemption since you purchased the panels for a specific project that has been commissioned.

petthefabric- congratulations on not buying and on reducing your stash as well!

I am now a full two weeks past my second covid vaccine and am planning a celebratory visit to my LQS. Because DH is super high risk and I am high risk, I haven't been inside a retail establishment since The first week of March 2020. I’ll be looking mainly at their remnants and sale fabrics for blenders and WOW since I am very low on both, especially light values of blenders. Will try to stay strong, but may end up needing to use an exemption if something fabulous jumps into my basket.https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...es/biggrin.png

Rob

acheela 04-25-2021 07:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These pics are before I put on the binding, and showing what I did to the back to make my backing fit.

acheela 04-25-2021 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 (Post 8478672)
Rff1010: Enjoy those new masks.

AUQuilter: We love pictures!

petthefabric: Wahoo to you for not buying something you weren’t thrilled about in the first place. Nice way to reduce the load.

acheela: A stained glass quilt sounds interesting. Buying fabric for a specific project to finish it is an exemption especially since it’s for $$.

I finished another top. It is Strip Joint by GEDesigns. It is 59.75” by 80” and will be finished by my church quilting group. The best part is it is all from stash which was either my DMIL’s or donated to my church quilting group or directly to me. A tiny bit may have been from my stash.. Blessed to honor other quilter’s by using their stash.

The stained glass one is just to try to use up scraps, I was commissioned to make 2 baby blankets that I bought the panels for. I’m going to try to bake the borders, batting and backing for the baby quilts from my stash as well.