Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

Fraew 02-11-2017 08:30 AM

Thank you for the encouragement and compliments.

I chose a wide, neutral batik backing, similar to the neutrals I used on the front. I will be quilting by check and asked for something light and airy, edge to edge.

audsgirl 02-11-2017 05:07 PM

Has anyone made a decision on backing yet? I would love to see photos of people's backing fabrics. I've been wondering if a light printed fabric would look too cluttered with such a busy top, so have been considering looking for a purple tonal. I associate the quilt with the French countryside because of those photos of the lavender fields, so would like to find something with that French country feel.[/QUOTE]

I ordered a wide backing from Connecting Threads called Radiance. It is kind of busy, but I think it has a lot of white background. There is a little lavender and gold/yellow and a fair amount of green that will coordinate with the front. I figure it will hide my quilting pretty well. I will be quilting it myself on my Bernina 153 QE, so it will be a struggle to cram it into the throat space. I was going to try to get Allietare! quilted first, but I may do En Provence instead. Either way, it's going to be quite a production!

Leslie

peaceandjoy 02-14-2017 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My units are all done but I've only assembled one block. The sashing strips in the attached photo are laid next to the block; they have not been sewn on. I changed the "large" (who would think that a 3" block would be large?) plain square to a HST, as many others did. I think the success of the plain block is dependent on the fabrics used. In my case, the pumpkin is too close in value to the green and the blue - which made for a muddy mess in the center with the star not showing at all. I am pleased with how the block looks with this change.

I just realized that the 4-patches in my sashing (in my case, blue) are ALL sideways. Where Bonnie's are dark squares, mine are light and vice versa. I'm trying to decide if this is really a problem and they all need to be changed, or if it really doesn't make any difference. Correcting them wouldn't be as much of a hassle if I hadn't sewn over half immediately after doing some paper piecing and without changing stitch length. Taking those seams out, with tiny stitches, would be a pain in the neck. What are your thoughts?

Peace and Joy,
Robin

sewbizgirl 02-14-2017 08:53 PM

I love your colors Robin, and no, I don't think the 4 patches are a big deal. They look good the way you have them.

joe'smom 02-14-2017 08:58 PM

Robin, your colors are just gorgeous! No, I don't think it matters with the position of the sashing 4-patches. I'm not sure it would be an issue even if your blues were high contrast, but they are fairly low contrast and I can't see any advantage in having them go the other way.

pennycandy 02-14-2017 09:35 PM

Ditto what Lisa said. Don't change them, I like your colors. Live with the block for a couple of days, you may grow to like it as is.

I am slowly making progress on mine. All parts are sewn and all are trimmed except for part 1. Some of the blocks are a tad bit too small and need to be taken apart and sewn with a scant 1/4" seams. Thank goodness there are only half the number needed for the full size.

audsgirl 02-15-2017 04:33 PM

I, also, love your colors, Robin, and agree that the color placement should be fine. Your block looks fabulous! As Pennycandy said, live with the block for a few days and see if it feels right to you. It's your quilt, so do what seems like the best. I love the look of the star with the half-square triangles.

Leslie

audsgirl 02-15-2017 04:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I finished my top and got a few photos of it. There's nowhere in my house that I can get it all in a picture. My backing came today, so now I'm torn about whether to baste En Provence first or do Allietare! Either one is going to be a big production.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]568383[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]568384[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]568385[/ATTACH]

Leslie

givio 02-15-2017 06:28 PM

peaceandjoy, I wouldn't attempt taking out tiny 'paper-pieced' size stitches if they are super tiny. If you like it as it is then there isn't really a reason to make different. I think your block looks super! The colors are rich and the contrasts define the pattern well.
audsgirl, great finish there! Congrats! It's a big size. :-)

joe'smom 02-16-2017 07:52 AM

audsgirl, that is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations! As for which one to do first, if you have momentum going with En Provence, ride the wave!