Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

Pagzz 11-13-2018 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 8160637)
Peggy - I like those colors!

I'm struggling because I have lot of oranges and would love to use them, but I'm just not "digging" the colors all together.

this year I wanted to change up the colors. My thinking was that Bonnie was using two sets of opposites and it would be a dramatic quilt. I wanted to go with something different so I went shopping and looking for a fabric with 4 colors in it to use as inspiration. I found this one and bought a fat quarter. Maybe you can look for an inspiration fabric that uses four colors including your orange and use it as a jumping off.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]603988[/ATTACH]

KalamaQuilts 11-13-2018 02:42 PM

way fun fabric choices! Welcome to the members new to the board and/or new to Bonnie's mysterys! This thread is a nice safe place to think outloud~

Kassaundra 11-13-2018 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These aren't very exciting, but they are going to be my stand in fabrics / colors for this mystery. I won't make the actual fabric selections until after the reveal since I am planning on directional / fussy cutting. I am only planning on sewing a few of each clue as we go then play w/ the color pattern selection in the b/ w/ silver patterns.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]603996[/ATTACH]

AmyBible 11-13-2018 05:08 PM

Everyone's colors look so good.
Peggy - good advice to find a focus fabric as a jumping point.
Kass - can't wait to see how your fabrics look once the clues start!
Only Nine more sleeps until the first clue. :D:D

joe'smom 11-14-2018 11:03 AM

pbadder, I love those vibrant colors. Something tells me this will be a good mystery for solids.

Kass, those look very interesting. But they will not be in your quilt, you will work with these to get acquainted with the clues, is that right?

Kassaundra 11-14-2018 11:39 AM

That is correct. I will use these to make about 10 or so of each clue to see where I want to make my color / pattern placement. I will be using this color way (black / white / silver, the grey is my stand in for silver). I don't have my real fabric selected b/c I intend to use very geometric / directional prints and won't know what to get until I know the size, shape and make up of the units. It will put me way behind at the reveal, but the finished quilt will have more of "me" in it since I am all about the fussy cut / placement, and drama of the print.

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 8161421)
pbadder, I love those vibrant colors. Something tells me this will be a good mystery for solids.

Kass, those look very interesting. But they will not be in your quilt, you will work with these to get acquainted with the clues, is that right?

Mariposa 11-14-2018 01:22 PM

Pagzz~ I like your idea with the FQ/4 fabrics. Your colors are so fun!

sewbizgirl 11-14-2018 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz (Post 8160702)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]603988[/ATTACH]

Pagzz, love your inspiration fabric. So will navy be your neutral?

Pagzz 11-14-2018 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8161556)
Pagzz, love your inspiration fabric. So will navy be your neutral?

Navy would be a bold choice, but I am going with white neutrals or neutrals whose background is white.

ILoveToQuilt 11-14-2018 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8157657)
Actually, half size would be 36" x 72"... or some wider, less long configuration. If you want 36"x36", you only need to make 1/4 of the units.

Here is the link again, in case anyone needs it:

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2018...e-mystery.html

Ah, thanks...my math leaves much to be desired. That's why I have a husband! LOL