Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

cindyb 11-17-2018 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8162446)
can I lust over your whites with black?
Welcome home!

I have a suitcase full of leader and ender 2" four patches. While I bide my time I've been sewing them into eight patches, eventually making 8" sixteen patches, Someday it will be a quilt of some kind. I see quilts that are all four patches this size and am inspired. Then I see a quilt that uses 16 patches and am reinspired down a different rabbit hole...
Six sleeps!

Please post when you figure out your 16 patch leaders and enders. I have also done this - but kind of wish I had left them just 4 patches. Not sure what's going to become of them!

KalamaQuilts 11-17-2018 07:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
mine are light and dark so what I do will have a path for the eye to follow. We are visiting family and staying in an rv park, I brought my stack of two four patches sewed together and am spinning the joins. I gotta have some fabric to play with :)
all those four patches are also why I'm doing 2" charms for leader/enders for the mystery. such a cute little shape.

I've set aside all the red and black 1.5" patches I've cut over the last year. They will eventually be a word quilt. Don't have nearly enough to even begin though. I have found over the years when doing scrappy, if I leave out the red and black scraps it in a much more cohesive whole. Unless one of those colors are part of the plan of course, last year's mystery was red/white/blue

KalamaQuilts 11-17-2018 01:03 PM

another idea for leader enders which results in an interesting looking finish
https://saneandcrazy.blogspot.com/20...ts-finish.html
good use for 2.5" precuts too

retiredteacher09 11-17-2018 05:40 PM

Kalamaquilts: Looking through your RV window gave me some 'missing' pangs. We had a permanent spot in a campground for close to 20 years. Great memories. We also traveled with our pop-up camper with our children. After the death of my husband in 2010, I tried camping for a couple of years but it just wasn't the same. The road atlas was always with us on our trips too.

AmyBible: I listened to Bonnie Hunter talking with HollyAnne about Good Fortune and found it very interesting. Thanks for sharing the info.

happylab 11-18-2018 07:02 AM

I'm liking everyone's color choices. The next 6 weeks will be interesting watching the different quilt tops come together. Only 5 more days before clue #1.
Now back to my Nebraska quilt top. I have 15 blocks complete, !5 almost completed. And I need to make 32 8" blocks for a border. These are 1/2 made. I'm taking it into the quilter on Tuesday. I also cut out all the steps so far for a Double Irish Star Quilt. I plan to work on it at the same time I'm working on the BHMQ-GF 2018.

Mariposa 11-18-2018 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb (Post 8162840)
Please post when you figure out your 16 patch leaders and enders. I have also done this - but kind of wish I had left them just 4 patches. Not sure what's going to become of them!

Cindy~ take a peek at www.weddingdressblue.wordpress.com and check out her free patterns and quilt-alongs. She does lots with the squares~ :)

kristakz 11-19-2018 09:44 PM

Weird, this post was empty when I got here to read it. Oh well - I'm in for Bonnie Hunter again this year. Worried about her comment regarding "see where things go" for those wanting to use single fabrics, I've decided to break my rule and go scrappy this year. Fingers crossed that I like the end result (I haven't had much luck doing that in the past).

In the meantime, I've pulled my colours (red, purple, green, orange) but I'm switching up the order just to be different :)

Macybaby 11-20-2018 05:29 AM

I've run into a few other empty posts this AM - I know the site was down for maintenance for a while yesterday.

I have gone round and round on colors, and then I was digging through my scraps for greens for a Christmas wreath project and decided I really need to use up true scraps (less than 1/4 yard) Normally I've used small yardages (1/4 yard and up) for BH mysteries and felt like I ended up with more scraps than when I started.

joe'smom 11-20-2018 10:31 AM

Krista, how will you be changing up the colors?

I've finished with the projects I was working on, and can now start pressing my mystery fabrics!

(I'm posting this as an edit, and will see if it shows up.)

sewbizgirl 11-20-2018 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 8164094)
I have gone round and round on colors, and then I was digging through my scraps for greens for a Christmas wreath project and decided I really need to use up true scraps (less than 1/4 yard) Normally I've used small yardages (1/4 yard and up) for BH mysteries and felt like I ended up with more scraps than when I started.

Is that ever true!