Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

Sync 01-08-2019 06:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up lora3677. I certainly would be upset to discover this mistake as I was putting everything together.

sewbizgirl 01-08-2019 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by craft (Post 8189168)
This is 100% true. She ask that no one DO this. I see her point. She puts a lot of work into her designs which she loves to teach to other quilters new to advance. The way I see it she is giving a bit of herself to each and every
quilter she comes in contact with.

She gets it back, manyfold, believe me. This is her business and not a charity. The yearly Mystery Quilt is a great marketing tool. It keeps people interested in her and what she is doing. Her blog, workshops, cruises, many books and patterns...and now her "Inn", all need exposure and promotion to sell. She doesn't want the design posted so that people can make mock ups without a pattern. The Mystery pattern is only going to be free for a little while. Then she will sell it, as all her other past mysteries.

One thing that is 100% true is that designers can make all the copyright demands in the world, but that doesn't mean they have actual legal standing until they are challenged in a court of law.

I'm sure the BH groupies may want to skewer me for my comments, but they are only common sense.

QuiltingNinaSue 01-09-2019 08:41 AM

Wish I had Bonnie Hunter's energy; she maintains her Blog, sews and creates inspirational patterns, flies all over the world to spire others to love quilting. Yes, she makes a good living doing what she loves to do. String Frenzy is being mailed out in lots of 500 and she is on her 6th shipment of them. She is slowly creating a Quiltsville Inn, rebuilding and creating a beautiful home staying true to its original style. I marvel at her success; well done, Bonnie Hunter, well done indeed. If I ever have the chance I would love to visit her Inn; but I wish everyone who does visit her Inn, would enjoy it for me, too.

I have enjoyed following her Blog, and inspired by what she had done and is doing promoting quilting.

KalamaQuilts 01-09-2019 11:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
the year of grand illusion was a terrible one for me. I enjoyed making the units but everytime I started putting it up on the working wall I'd nearly get sick by the associations. So I turned it into 4 different 40" quilts to hang on the loft bannister. All different, all perky, all with no dark illusions

QuiltnNan 01-09-2019 11:29 AM

nice finishes

Conchalea 01-09-2019 11:37 AM

Great redo, Kalama! I’m sorry the original has such bad memories for you, but you did a wonderful salvage job.

Pagzz 01-09-2019 11:47 AM

very cool Kalama!

joe'smom 01-09-2019 12:34 PM

Wonderful GI quilts, Kalama!

Re Bonnie Hunter's various requests, I think it's more a matter of courtesy than legality in honoring them. I get so much enjoyment from the mysteries, I'm happy to comply with requests regarding the posting of info. I recall a few years ago I happened to catch a post from her, reacting to seeing people posting their EQ versions of her quilts. She explained how offensive it was to her, and why. I'm not a creator myself, but I can imagine that I wouldn't like it, either.

I am inching along with my GFs. I have finished the first clue 7s, and working on my second batch of red units; would love to finish with those today. I've started on the first batch of quarter star units and have been doing quite a bit of adjusting on those when the points aren't close enough. I should be able to start pinning my second batch today. Still a long way from posting block photos. I knew I was too slow a piecer to try two versions of the MQ, but I couldn't help myself!

Sync 01-09-2019 03:20 PM

joe'smom, you're not the only slow one ...... I'm still putting together clue 7. I got a little impatient and started to put some spinning stars together and all that got me was another date with "Jack". I can't imagine how much further behind I would be trying to put together two MQs ................................ :shock:

Conchalea 01-09-2019 03:23 PM

BH’s designs are her intellectual property, & therefore images of her designs that she hasn’t given permission for are theft of that property. I’ve been to a presentation concerning intellectual property & this is what a legal expert said during the presentation. Please respect her requests to not post representations of her designs.