Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

JENNR8R 01-16-2019 10:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally finished my top. It measures 69" x 89." I've never made a quilt with so many teeny-tiny pieces, and I'm not wild about the colors, but it all came from my stash. It's really scrappy, and I like the pictures of the quilts that used fewer fabrics better.

I added an extra pieced-top/bottom border to use up my leftover blocks.

It came out pretty flat because I combined as many borders as I could before sewing them to the center blocks. I also only sewed half of the quilt at a time to make it more manageable. One of the last seams I sewed was joining the two halves together.

Sync 01-16-2019 11:15 AM

JENNR8R, clever use of those left overs. Good idea of sewing the borders together and then adding them to the quilt center as one unit. Congrats on the finish, it looks good.

toverly 01-16-2019 02:32 PM

That makes alot more sense Jennr8r. Wish I had thought of that way to add the borders. Good job.

Mumto2 01-16-2019 05:51 PM

Battle Axe, I love the outer border on your quilt! That is the clue I skipped and since the reveal seriously considering skipping altogether. Just started assembling today......if I really feel I need another border I think I will do something similar to yours. I also made way too many orange strip sets so they may end up as border.

Battle Axe 01-16-2019 05:58 PM

Use the same blocks, just keep turning two of them together to get the ribbon effect. Marcia

retiredteacher09 01-16-2019 07:18 PM

JENNR8R: Lovely quilt top! Thanks for the great idea of sewing the borders together first.

I have one row sewn together. I have a few more blocks ready to start the second row. I usually sew sections together first and it is definitely easier than to keep adding to the previous rows. It was something that I learned from my church quilting group. :)

sewbizgirl 01-16-2019 07:25 PM

JENN, your quilt turned out cheery and bright. Hopefully it will grow on you. Love the extra borders.

Mumto2 01-16-2019 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe (Post 8194415)
Use the same blocks, just keep turning two of them together to get the ribbon effect. Marcia

I see it now......much easier then my plans to make them!

joe'smom 01-18-2019 08:15 AM

JENNR8R, your quilt looks great. Those extra 4-patches are a nice touch.

I was bit by the organizing bug and haven't done much sewing the past two days, just moving fabric around, LOL.

Sync 01-18-2019 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Everyone's tops are looking fantastic. I'm still working on those spinning star blocks. Spent time yesterday clearing off my cutting table and actually putting things away .............. lol ........ now I have more room to work on these blocks.
Here's what I have so far .... not much but I'm getting there ............
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606986[/ATTACH]