Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

toverly 01-23-2019 10:39 AM

Thank you for posting kristakz. A friend and I were talking of switching the warm and cool colors and wondering what it would look like. Your's is exactly that. I really like the way it turned out.

Sync 01-23-2019 11:47 AM

Krista, fantastic save, replacing those green strings. The purple bricks look good next to those orange spinning stars.

retiredteacher09 01-23-2019 06:29 PM

Like others said, kristakz: great save! You have a wonderful eye for color.

joes mom: My HST/chevron units were hit and miss also. I wish I knew how I had cut/assembled the ones that were 'spot on.' I tried a few ways to make the chevron units so that's why I don't know which one was the most successful. :)

My blocks are finally finished and I have 4 rows sewn and then I sewed them into pairs. I hope to sew some more rows yet tonight. I am not sure if I will add all of the borders. I like leaving a solid border around the edges, if possible, to make it easier for my church group to bring the backing around to the front to sew-less seams if it's just one piece.

audsgirl 01-26-2019 06:01 PM

Gee, Siodach, what a creative assortment of blocks! I think I like the one on the right side of the middle row.

Krista, I like what you did with the bricks. It turned out really nice.

Toverly, your pillow sham is lovely.

Lisa, I've decided that with the next Bonnie Hunter quilt, I'm going to press my seams open. That's the only thing I can think of to make it easier to join units. I think I am being careful with my piecing, but maybe not.

Leslie

toverly 01-27-2019 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ta Da! The first thing I have finished since about August. Y'all inspired me to get it done. I can honestly say, free motion quilting takes practice and I am definitely out of practice. But, it's done. And I like it. I made the back a solid orange. It made me happy. Thanks for all the encouragement on this board. [ATTACH=CONFIG]607498[/ATTACH]

Sync 01-27-2019 11:21 AM

Congrats on your finish, toverly. Love the pillow you made from your extras.

JENNR8R 01-27-2019 11:27 AM

Congratulations toverly... Those straight borders were hard to do. Good job!

toverly 01-27-2019 12:26 PM

Thanks JENNR8R. Oh, if you could only see those borders up close. I don't think I have ever made a quilt with as many little "tucks" in the edge. But, as you can see, it doesn't show up to anyone but me. And it did get rid of the waves.

retiredteacher09 01-27-2019 06:47 PM

toverly: Congratulations on your wonderful finish! I didn't think of making it 5 by 8 blocks to get it rectangular.

I sewed the first border on and then added a solid green strip. I made the next two borders as long pieces of fabric rather than using the individual blocks. I sewed them together and hope to get them on tomorrow so I can drop it off at church on Tuesday for the quilting group to finish. I made my top and bottom borders wider so I could get it as a rectangle and to the appropriate size for the church ladies.

joe'smom 01-28-2019 08:01 AM

Congratulations toverly! Your quilt is beautiful!