Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

Kassaundra 12-08-2018 07:01 AM

If I remember right it is about 50/50, she mostly does when lots and lots of people start worrying about no more of a specific color in what they are using.

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8172714)
Great job, Sewbizgirl! Love your yellows and how they work. Does anyone remember if Bonnie mentions when you are "done" with a color? I too am wondering if her green yardage estimate included making HST's separate. I may just sneak off to the store today for more green. I'm working with yardage for the first time and didn't figure this into my planning.

Macybaby 12-08-2018 07:15 AM

I've got most of my clue 3 cut and ready to sew. I wasn't sure about using green, but I had a lot of scraps so went ahead with it. I'm doing them separately - and I had a large quantity of neutral HST that I'd miscut for a mystery a few years back - and they are just the right size for the HST we are doing here.

joe'smom 12-08-2018 08:04 AM

I hope to make good progress on clue 3 today!

(I deleted my previous thought about the on-point setting, as I realized it couldn't be right.)

Cheesehead 12-08-2018 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am finished with clue #3, here are my units to date.[ATTACH=CONFIG]604950[/ATTACH]

Battle Axe 12-08-2018 09:46 AM

Impressive, Cheesehead. I found my folded corner ruler and successfully made one chevron.

sewbizgirl 12-08-2018 10:20 AM

Beautiful little units, Cheesehead. You've been dilligent!

I Love your green!

joe'smom 12-08-2018 10:42 AM

I love your fabrics, Cheesehead! Your units look great together.

toverly 12-08-2018 10:56 AM

Looking Great Cheesehead.

Thanks Kassaundra, I thought I remembered but wasnt' certain.

betthequilter, dive right in. The beauty of her patterns is that they contain simple units that make up to complicated blocks.

AmyBible 12-08-2018 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Siodach - I was thinking the bonus HST wouldn't play nicely with the other sizes we've been making but then I realized when sew into the quilt, 3 bonus HST = 2 of the other units so maybe the HST are part of some sashing.

Cheesehead - your units look great!

I re-read Clue #3 a few times then tried 3 methods - none of which included bonus triangles. I'll make those separately.
1) drawing a line, flipping the corner
2) taking the green rectangle, trimming the diagonal corners off then sewing a half triangle to each end
3) making parallelograms from a green strip then sewing a half triangle to each end
[ATTACH=CONFIG]604955[/ATTACH]

All 3 units came out the correct size so I'm going with method 3. I can use the beginning and ending triangle for the bonus HSTs, I won't have to draw any lines, and I will have almost no wasted fabric.

AlvaStitcher 12-08-2018 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can’t understand how I can start a rectangle 4.5” x 2.5” then cut off to get the angle and still get a 2” HST so that both the chevron unit and the 2” HST have a 1/4 “ seam. Does my question make sense? I have finished 2 units but neither the chevron or HST have 1/4” seams.[ATTACH=CONFIG]604957[/ATTACH]