Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

Sync 12-07-2018 04:10 PM

sewbizgirl, congrats on getting Allietare to the flimsy stage. Allietare was my first BH mystery and it took me 2 years to complete it ............ lol ......

I haven't tackled clue 3 yet .............. finishing up clue 1 and 2 first.

NZquilter 12-07-2018 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8172388)
After 3 years I finally finished putting my Allietare blocks together into a top. I did two more Bonnie mysteries after that one and completed them. Just couldn't seem to get my interest up to finish the Allietare. I so hate doing on point setting, especially with a quilt that big. My design wall isn't big enough so I ran into all kinds of trouble. It's always confusing! But today it's a Top. Hooray!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]604917[/ATTACH]

(Photo was taken before edges were trimmed.)

Congratulations!! Allietare is one that is on my bucket list.

ScubaK 12-08-2018 12:22 AM

Sewbizgirl....Allietare is my most favorite BH mystery quilt. I love them all...
I also like that she does this on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I like that it gives me something to focus on for myself during this busy time...
It's like a meditation time. I might not finish the quilt on time, but I have the clues and I make a few units as I can...then I usually finish by May...
Kirsten

Siodach 12-08-2018 01:05 AM

[QUOTE=Does anyone else think this will be another "on point" setting?[/QUOTE]

Up until yesterday, I didn't, but I kinda do now :eek:
My logic is as follows :o

The finished size of top is to be 72" x 72".

This size happily lends itself to a 6 x 6 grid of 12" blocks (6x12=72). Total of 36 blocks.

I want to make a smaller top, so decided to do a 4 x 4 grid instead - totalling 16 blocks.

So for clues 1 and 2, I took the number of units to be made, divided this by 36 and then times by 16, and this gave me my number of units to make. Perfect.

Clue 3 this doesn't work. 100 does not (divide and times) into a whole number! I'd have to make 44.5 units, and that's not logical. :rolleyes:

So my theory of 12" straight blocks in a 6x6 grid is hit on the head with clue 3.....

So the alternatives are either on point or sashed.

Time will tell..... And that's the fun of mysteries. :D

Cheers, K

Sandra-P 12-08-2018 02:23 AM

Siodach, You are so clever! I would not have thought any of that through like you did. Math has never been my strong point. So glad you are doing this with us this year! I will get an email off to you soon. X Sandra

Battle Axe 12-08-2018 05:06 AM

My recipe for on point is for 18 blocks. How does that fit into the math? I'm having a moment.... but there are those of us that love on point with sashing and cornerstones.

tallchick 12-08-2018 05:22 AM

That is stunning Sewbiz! This is also on my bucket list, maybe I need to move it up a notch!

I just love seeing everyone’s progress and living vicariously through you all, such beautiful interpretations of color choices!

PamelaOry 12-08-2018 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8172388)
After 3 years I finally finished putting my Allietare blocks together into a top. I did two more Bonnie mysteries after that one and completed them. Just couldn't seem to get my interest up to finish the Allietare. I so hate doing on point setting, especially with a quilt that big. My design wall isn't big enough so I ran into all kinds of trouble. It's always confusing! But today it's a Top. Hooray!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]604917[/ATTACH]

(Photo was taken before edges were trimmed.)

wow!! This is amazing. Very beautiful!

toverly 12-08-2018 06:53 AM

Great job, Sewbizgirl! Love your yellows and how they work. Does anyone remember if Bonnie mentions when you are "done" with a color? I too am wondering if her green yardage estimate included making HST's separate. I may just sneak off to the store today for more green. I'm working with yardage for the first time and didn't figure this into my planning.

Kassaundra 12-08-2018 06:59 AM

I came up w/ a piecing idea for clue 3 no putzing w/ tiny pieces no line drawing. Using wof strips and cutting. Not sure how to explain it or even if I could w/o being deleted, hope I can remember it when I start this quilt.