Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

joe'smom 03-04-2020 08:13 PM

Iceblossom, great job! It was an inspiration to follow your progress.

JeanieG 03-04-2020 08:36 PM

Iceblossom - the quilt is amazing! I cannot imagine the amount of time and effort you went into to do this quilt!

origamigoldfish 03-05-2020 11:17 AM

Iceblossom, beautiful finish. Nice and bright and cheerful!

I have the larger 'half' of my rows sewn together, and am plugging away at the last four rows. Hopefully by tonight I will have the bulk of it pieced!

Carol in WI 03-05-2020 01:07 PM

Iceblossom, that is beautiful! Congratulations on getting it done. I know what you mean about putting all those fabrics back into their proper place in the stash - seems that half of my sewing room is made up of Frolic fabrics. All my blocks are done and now I just have the sashes and borders to go. It WILL get done and it will be OK :).

origamigoldfish 03-09-2020 06:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I finally finished the main part of the top this morning. As much as i disliked the individual blocks and how busy they are when I was piecing them, putting them together with sashing between has changed their feel, and I actually like it now. The busy actually works in my favor, it's hard to notice where some of my flying geese points don't quite line up, and other mistakes.

The last photo are my options for the inner border. Hard to see in the white on white, but one is a dot and one is a larger damask print. I am planning on doing a repeat of the inner border outside the HST border, but I don't have enough of the flower print or the darker tan to do more than the inner border. I used a curated bundle, so I also don't have enough of any of the neutrals to make it from one fabric, and I don't want to buy more. Opinions, please :)

joe'smom 03-09-2020 07:24 AM

origami, your colors are so spring-like and fresh. I love it! I would use whichever border fabric you have enough of for both borders. I think the whiter ones look better than the tan.

tallchick 03-09-2020 07:41 AM

Beautiful finish Origami! I agree that a white would really set it off! Congratulations!

SusieQOH 03-09-2020 09:24 AM

Origami, I agree that the white would be perfect.

I have a question for you- are you using the HST's or not?
I've decided not to use mine because my top came out too busy as it is.
Yours, however, is lovely!! It looks more structured to me. Great job~

origamigoldfish 03-09-2020 10:46 AM

Thank you for the advice and the compliments! I agree that the white sets everything off and softens the creamy neutrals and the whites in the quilt already. I loved the flower print, but against the rest of the quilt it looks dingy, and the darkest neutral is too dark.

Susie, I am planning on using the HSTs for the border, but I am not so fond of the sawtooth Bonnie laid them out in. I plan on laying them out in different ways and seeing what I like best. I have seen pinwheels, larger triangles, chevrons, more flying geese, and even friendship stars made with them as borders. I still have a small stack of pinks and blues and plenty of neutral fabrics left to make more if I need to.

I think the structure in my quilt came from having a limited number of pinks, several dark blues that are almost the same shade, and a few prints carried across several colors. And so many polka dots, lol. I can't claim credit for that, that was all the employees at the fabric shop I ordered my bundle from. I think they chose wonderfully, especially since they didn't know what the end result would be!

SusieQOH 03-09-2020 02:14 PM

Origami, thanks for your reply.
I love those polka dots!!!

You gave me an idea about the HST's. I don't like them as is either, but maybe I can also figure something else out.
Or I may just leave them out and use for another project.