Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

retiredteacher09 07-29-2020 05:52 PM

suern3: Congratulations! I look forward to seeing it.

origamigoldfish: Congratulations on finishing a very pretty Frolic top.

Sync 07-29-2020 06:04 PM

Origami, congrats on your Frolic finish, it looks wonderful.

Iceblossom 07-29-2020 07:18 PM

Origamigoldfish -- love that border!

joe'smom 07-30-2020 08:33 AM

origami, that's gorgeous! That is one of my favorite border options (I think I will have trouble deciding what to do with borders when the time comes).

suern3 07-30-2020 01:26 PM

origami- great finish on your Frolic! Pretty colors and nice border, too.

origamigoldfish 08-01-2020 08:58 AM

Thank you! I wouldn't have been able to see it through without all of your support! For only my fourth quilt ever, I think I did pretty good.

I have been cutting down my remnant fabrics into my scrap system, and seeing what I could make with all the extra pieces we made but didn't use. I took all those HST and made more flying geese out of them, then turned them into blocks of 12 geese arranged around a center square. I had to cut out two extra geese from scraps to make 9 full blocks, more than big enough for a baby quilt! I think I will add a few more out of my remnants and add sashing and use the extra four patches as cornerstones, and maybe get a lap quilt out of it for a friend. By the time I am done, all I will have left will be two of the short pink/neutral sashing strip pieces, and if I can work them in there, I will. I hate having orphan blocks laying around.

Iceblossom 08-14-2020 06:17 AM

I've been working on the UFO top this past week. Turns out 98% of the piecing was complete (and very nicely done at that). It took awhile to track down but in one stage they made 41 units instead of 41 sets of units -- and some of those are extra things we don't really need anyway! So all I had/have to do is cut some more red/blue HST, turn some of them into the pinwheels for 25 blocks, and I'll deal with the setting triangles later. Fabric was provided and I will need to cut the neutral background squares and then it will be ready to assemble into blocks. Heehee, I didn't have to do the 4-patches or the border units or any of that!

Kind of fun to get a nearly done UFO that I knew what to do, but it is amazing how much I've already forgotten. I had to pull out my top and check the layout just to reassure myself. I just like to spend some time sewing each day and its rather freeing to me that I don't have to worry my head a bit about finishing it, or who to give it to. I still don't have a finished top or home for mine yet.

Don't think it will take that long to finish, but I have some other commitments going on. I'm still planning on doing the Mystery again this year with more standard fabrics/colors so need to get this done before that.

suern3 08-18-2020 02:35 PM

Sounds like progress. Figuring out where to start was probably the hardest part. Now you will be ready to go when time allows.

origamigoldfish 08-19-2020 07:55 AM

I have tried basting this thing three different times and I can't make it work in my space at home; every other large quilt I have ever done I have basted at a church, and with the pandemic that is not an option now. Going to pack it up and send it off to be longarmed, I think.

audsgirl 08-19-2020 08:04 PM

I'm still working on putting on the borders on mine. I took so long making masks that I got behind. I've never sent a quilt to a longarmer. I'm dreading the quilting more than the basting. I always baste my quilts on my cutting table. It involves a lot of repositioning, since the area is relatively small. But it works for me.
I don't think I will do this year's mystery. I want to make a quilt for our bed before winter gets here. I already have the pattern and fabrics for it. I may put off all other quilting until I get that one done.

Leslie