Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

IrishNY 12-15-2019 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8340574)
The only problem is that the finished size needs to be 2.5 not 2

Susie, I just went back to check and the finished size for clue 3 HSTs is 2", not 2.5".

SusieQOH 12-15-2019 01:26 PM

Irish- I'm losing my marbles! That's exactly what you said. I thought you meant the UNfinished size was 2.
Oh no, I think I'm overtired here :D

wildyard 12-15-2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8340591)
Irish- I'm losing my marbles! That's exactly what you said. I thought you meant the UNfinished size was 2.
Oh no, I think I'm overtired here :D

Speaking of lost marbles, I am apparently midst fibro foggy mind as I just finished sewing all my pairs of 2.5" strips together down both sides. My problem is I didn't cut the strips on the bias, so if I make the HSTs from my now paired strips, they will all have bias edges. Should I go ahead and use them this way, or should I cut new pieces of fabric and begin again? If I have to do it again, I will make the 8 at a time method. Any suggestions?

KalamaQuilts 12-15-2019 04:30 PM

Use the easy angle ruler wildcard. You will need to unsew your seams but once I was introduced to the easy angle in a prior mystery I’ve never looked back. The beauty lies in no math or odd sizes needed. Whatever the unfinished size of the finished half square tri, that is the width to cut the strips. I have more tips if you decide to use this method.

joe'smom 12-15-2019 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
KalamaQ, I would love to hear your tips on the Easy Angle method.

I am happy to be caught up after 3 clues! I bought a constant green to use, but then found a green I absolutely love on the bottom of a stash pile of greens; there won't be enough for the whole quilt, but I think I'll use that one until I run out. Now I'll see how much progress I can make on the binding I'm working on before clue #4 comes out.

happylab 12-15-2019 07:38 PM

I enjoy seeing everyone’s progress. Such lovely pieces.

I’m 1/2 done with step #1. I just need to sew 1 more seam, iron, and trim. Step #2 - I need to iron background fabric, sew and cut. And step #3 - I need to cut strips, mark, sew and trim. I got behind b/c I caught a cold. So I’m a week behind on everything.

I’m also working on quilting 4 quilt tops and finishing 2 quilt tops. One top is a pain. I have mis calculated the # of blocks I need 2x’s. The other top I need to put smaller pieces to make 28 blocks, square and I can put the top together.

wildyard 12-15-2019 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8340670)
Use the easy angle ruler wildcard. You will need to unsew your seams but once I was introduced to the easy angle in a prior mystery I’ve never looked back. The beauty lies in no math or odd sizes needed. Whatever the unfinished size of the finished half square tri, that is the width to cut the strips. I have more tips if you decide to use this method.

I don't have that ruler but I do have a triangle ruler and also I have smaller rulers with the 45* angle marked on them. Could I use the same concept but using the rulers I already have?
Yes please to all the tips and help out there. LOL, and thanks KalamaQuilts for your suggestion.

sewbizgirl 12-15-2019 08:41 PM

Great neutrals, joe'smom!

PamelaOry 12-16-2019 02:19 AM

Well....I’ve read through the clue but haven’t had time to start it yet. What is the 8 at a time method? That sounds like the fastest way to get these puppies done.

jmoore 12-16-2019 04:22 AM

I finished Clue #2 yesterday while DH was watching the NE Patriots vs. Cincinnati Bengals game...I was looking forward to starting Clue #3 today but since I lied awake 2 hours in the night thinking about the mailing deadline for Christmas gifts, and since one son and DIL live in Key West and the other family in California, I don’t think I’ll be sewing today.