Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Box of Strings Quilt Along! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/box-strings-quilt-along-t295603.html)

Conchalea 04-10-2018 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8037515)
A few more blocks done. I am at the bottom of my design wall/tablecloth so I will start a new row. I haven't decided on a size yet but will keep making blocks until I run out of scraps.

So... your quilt will cover Canada?

Tartan 04-10-2018 07:29 AM

Good one Conchalea! :D

sewbizgirl 04-10-2018 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8034802)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]592276[/ATTACH]Would you put these fabrics in the light pile on the right or the dark pile on the left?

Hi, just poking my nose in here to see what you all are doing. Everything looks fabulous!!

As per Tartan's question about the center fabrics, I have a good way to see value only. Squint! Look at the above picture and squint til all you can see is the dark/light value, not color so much. Then you will see that all of the center fabrics are lights. I'd use all of them as lights. Some diversity is good and makes an interesting quilt, just as long as the value lines are not crossed.

I learned to squint to discern dark/light values from a wonderful art teacher I had in high school and it's served me all my life.

Conchalea 04-10-2018 07:50 PM

I now have a grand total of 2 triangle blocks. LOL. I’ve spent so much time on Lattice Garden that my Box of Strings has languished. I also have many more dark strings than light, so that will be a limiting factor for a while. I have a feeling this will be a long-term project for me.

frustratedquilter40 04-11-2018 12:15 AM

Mine might cover Canada and the US to use all of my strings Have made 86 blocks and my string tub is still hard to get the lid on. Right now I am planning on a twin size and would need 212 blocks.

Originally Posted by Conchalea (Post 8037543)
So... your quilt will cover Canada?

Conchalea 04-11-2018 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by frustratedquilter40 (Post 8038148)
Mine might cover Canada and the US to use all of my strings Have made 86 blocks and my string tub is still hard to get the lid on. Right now I am planning on a twin size and would need 212 blocks.

I’m impressed by your number of finished blocks. I think these take me longer than a regular block because the strings are so narrow & it takes me a while to trim each one & to decide what color should be next. I don’t want two of the same color next to each other, so I have to search through them. I also seem to have many in the same color family. So either I need to widen my color horizons or I didn’t save small strips when I first started on this adventure called quilting.

frustratedquilter40 04-11-2018 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So here is a picture of mine so far (5 rows x 18 blocks wide ) Shooting for a twin size I think.
Have a happy scrappy sewing day !!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592725[/ATTACH]

Bobbielinks 04-11-2018 05:31 PM

Christine, that is coming along beautifully!!!

Conchalea 04-11-2018 07:52 PM

Frustrated, your blocks look great! I worked on mine today & I've sewn some of the triangle blocks together. I have 11 triangles surrounded by strips at this point. I can finally see the pattern appearing & it’s looking the way I envisioned. I haven’t taken the time to calculate what size quilt I’ll make, or how many blocks I’ll need. I didn’t want to frighten myself!

frustratedquilter40 04-11-2018 10:19 PM

Can't wait to see yours Conchalea. I have about 10 blocks made for the next row. May be a little while working on another quilt that the next clue got released on. Will use this string quilt as my between project. Wanted to put a few rows together to see how I like it. I do love it :thumbup: