Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Burgoyne Surrounded Sew-Along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/burgoyne-surrounded-sew-along-t299930.html)

jclinganrey 11-09-2018 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was determined to make One block today. Not quite sure what I think about it, color-wise. It's definitely labor intensive, especially doing it scrappy. Opinions/input welcome - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603745[/ATTACH]

NZquilter 11-09-2018 06:56 PM

I finished my first block this evening! I'll try to post a picture tomorrow when the lighting is better. I only had one seam of frogging to do, so I think that's not a bad start!

Jane, those are lovely 30's fabrics! It makes the pattern very soft looking, but I still saw the chain effect straight away.

oksewglad 11-09-2018 07:29 PM

Great to see some blocks...Love your block Jane. I'm thinking you will like the picture better sans the shadow! I didn't notice the shadow until I decreased the size of the block. It does affect the total look, imho. Doing scrappy always takes a little more thought, too.

jclinganrey 11-10-2018 08:09 AM

LOL about the 'shadow'. I'll try to take a better picture - put my block on my design wall & try agan.

Group question: are the background fabrics too much? Too busy in my block? I have no problem putting this block on the back of my quilt.

toverly 11-10-2018 12:24 PM

All the parts and pieces are done, maybe I'll get a block done tomorrow. Love how this has worked up. Is there a traditional way to quilt this pattern?

QuiltingNinaSue 11-10-2018 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
jc, looks neat to me, I can follow the pattern just fine. I am finishing the red,white and blue BS first and here is a block sewn together....just cannot find when or where I used the 15 1/2 inch strips we did at the first of the instructions. Help, please.[ATTACH=CONFIG]603779[/ATTACH]Its not the square, that is the camera did not square the block! One seeing eye does not always line things up straight, but I still try. . . I just don't drive the car anymore. So we all are safe on the roadways..

jclinganrey 11-10-2018 01:58 PM

The 15 1/2" strips are for the sashing further in the instructions.

oksewglad 11-10-2018 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey (Post 8158960)
LOL about the 'shadow'. I'll try to take a better picture - put my block on my design wall & try agan.

Group question: are the background fabrics too much? Too busy in my block? I have no problem putting this block on the back of my quilt.

I don't think so Jane...that's why I decreased the size of the block (reverse zoom) to get a better perspective of the block. Try it you will see what I mean. The chain is readily recognizable.

NZquilter 11-11-2018 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8159090)
... Is there a traditional way to quilt this pattern?

Your question got me thinking too. I was looking at vintage Burgoyne Surrounded quilts last night on Pinterest, and most I saw where quilted with an overall cross hatch design. Some had cables quilted in the sashing and swirl designs following the chain effect.

toverly 11-11-2018 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Love this block. It's been a while since I have worked a pattern that is strips and subcuts. I forgot how precise it makes everything. NZquilter, I looked at pintrest too. I'm drawn to the diagonal cross hatching but some of the feathers and curved pineapples are beautiful. But beyond my skill at the moment. [ATTACH=CONFIG]603860[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]603860[/ATTACH]