Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ffc-one-fq-sew-much-creativity-q-c-t221233.html)

Anael 01-07-2014 12:16 AM

Yes but I'm finishing UFO's now and you're making Jane blocks! It won't be long till you hit the 100 mark :D

QuiltE 01-07-2014 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 6497880)
Yes but I'm finishing UFO's now and you're making Jane blocks! It won't be long till you hit the 100 mark :D

..............of UFOS? :D:D:D:D

janRN 01-07-2014 02:44 PM

I have a question for the Dear Janers on this thread. If you're doing the blocks in the 4 1/2" size and paperpiecing, are you trimming your seams to 1/8" or 1/4"? I'm just playing around with a few blocks at 5 1/2" finished but may decide to do 4 1/2". I have both add 1/8 & 1/4" rulers. I'm thinking 1/4" seams would add a lot of bulk but are 1/8" seams strong enough?

NOTE TO QE: This does NOT mean I'm making a DJ!!!!!!!! LOL

QuiltE 01-07-2014 02:59 PM

Instead of pot holders ... you can aim for coasters this time, JanRN!

Whether I am right or whether I am wrong ... so far I have been doing both!
1/4" most of the time, but if seams are piling up on top of each, then I might trim a little narrower.
But I am really hesitant on 1/8" seams, even with my stitch length way down at 1.0.
Like I said ... I have no clue what is "right" ...

This afternoon I have worked on applique *gasp* ......... I had to be out of my sewing room, so I could hear the doorbell, as the satellite dish guy was supposed to come before 5pm and an hour later has not shown. So handwork was a good alternative.

Now where oh where is that satellite guy?
Third night without TV and I am going stir crazy!

Honchey 01-07-2014 04:41 PM

I don't remember what size I stitched the freezer paper is still on the back of the blocks I made.I will go look.

oksewglad 01-07-2014 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6499360)
Instead of pot holders ... you can aim for coasters this time, JanRN!

Whether I am right or whether I am wrong ... so far I have been doing both!
1/4" most of the time, but if seams are piling up on top of each, then I might trim a little narrower.
But I am really hesitant on 1/8" seams, even with my stitch length way down at 1.0.
Like I said ... I have no clue what is "right" ...

This afternoon I have worked on applique *gasp* ......... I had to be out of my sewing room, so I could hear the doorbell, as the satellite dish guy was supposed to come before 5pm and an hour later has not shown. So handwork was a good alternative.

Now where oh where is that satellite guy?
Third night without TV and I am going stir crazy!

What for thread are you using--a lighter weight thread works good.

QuiltE 01-07-2014 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 6499848)
What for thread are you using--a lighter weight thread works good.

For machine stitching .... I'm using Aurifil 50 wt which is finer than 50 wt of a lot of the other brands. And am using a blue/white variegated. It seems to be working good to blend between the contrast of the white background and the darker blue piecing.

For hand applique .... I treated myself to some blue silk thread and as the shop owner said, you will become addicted. I only bought one spool to try it. So for the white, I am using 80 wt Wonderfil DecoBob that I already have. A good way to compare the two and decide whether which works best for me.

Being that satellite guy did not show or call ... I called the dispatch tonight and I am supposed to be back on the schedule for tomorrow/Wednesday morning, so I will do some more stitching as I wait for the doorbell to ring! :)

QuiltE 01-07-2014 08:59 PM

To add ... the silk is 50 wt, but my goodness is it fine. I did use it on one block already and reeeeeeally liked the feel of it and how fine it stitched ... almost invisible! :thumbup:

Honchey 01-07-2014 09:22 PM

QuiltE & Jan, The seams on my 15 yr old blocks are 3/8 to 1/4"... I didn't have the add a 1/4" ruler at the time so they aren't to straight either...

Anael 01-08-2014 12:19 AM

Jan, I trim to 1/4 " whenever I have something to trim :D :D

QuiltE, TV??? Why do you need that?

Honchey, 15 years? Did you ever finish your Jane? Or still working on it?